Originally posted by Sun&sand:
By our US standards, these residents are poor. But, by island native standards, these people are rich beyond means. They have food to eat, a roof over their heads, and their children are healthy. They are not encumbered by trying to keep up with the "Jones" or get the bigger/better/faster/fancier whatever. They go home at night after a hard days work and feel like they have done a good job, spend time with their families, and rest before starting it all over again the next day. Here in the states, we go home, hit the computer/wallstreet journal/industry or trade magazines, drink too much, get ulcers and ignore the family in the quest of getting more and more stuff to make our lives easier. The Belizians have it figured out. Not having the "stuff" keeps them free. I am learning a lot from them, and hope to incorporate this into my life here in the states. Have gotten rid of a bunch of stuff, with more to go, but already feel lighter.
I totally agree. Everytime I return home from SP I get rid of a lot of useless stuff. I believe that a less cluttered home/car/office makes for a much less cluttered life!! If we let ourselves, we really can learn a lot from the Belizeans.