TO ALL ANIMAL LOVERS
(BEWARE OF DR. SHELIA. SHE IS TREATING ANIMALS BEFORE RUNNING TEST)
DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOUR ANIMAL

It all started on February 25, 2005. I sent my 14-year-old Pomeranian to Dr. Sheila to do a routine teeth cleaning and have some teeth pulled if needed. I have always done what's best for my animals. Preventative maintenance. Here is a copy of what she sent to me:
Dear Tina,
I strongly recommend brushing Sable's teeth at least once a week. Or send her over for plaque removel every 6 months. She had hugh amounts of callus on her teeth. That gives her a chronic infection, and the constant amount of bacteria in her blood tends to damage the kidneys.

Sincerely,
Shelia k Schmeling, DVM
BELIZE LICENSE 9909

She gave me a 20 day supply of Baytril 22. I followed her directions and gave Sable all pills. Before I sent Sable to her she was so energetic. I could set my clock by her. She was up before me, she ate 3 times a day and always wanted outside. After the 20 pills she still was not right.

Sables symptoms were: A poor appetite, weight loss, thirstiness, vomiting and urinating during the night.
All of these are indications that kidney function is decreasing. I didn't know that then, but I know that now. Dr. Shelia should have known..
For more info: http://www.inkabijou.co.uk/kidney.htm

I called Dr Shelia and told her what Sables symptoms were. I ASKED FOR A BLOOD TEST TO BE DONE. When I got in to see Dr Shelia she told me that Sable did not need a blood test. She gave me a 10-day supply of Doxycycline for tick fever and sent me on my way. As you can see from her own notes ABOVE, she should have done a blood test. I gave her the first pill as told as soon as I got home. Sable could not keep the pill down so I called Dr Shelia. She told me to give it to her with YOGURT. So I did, not knowing what I know now about the drug. Doxycycline should not be given with food (milk or yogurt) or supplements containing calcium iron or magnesium (like antacids) because these agents will interfere slightly with the absorption of the antibiotic

For more info go to http://www.mirage-samoyeds.com/tick.htm#13.

After 10 days she still was not right and the phones were down so I called Dr. Deshield's office and was told that Sable should have been on the medication for no less that 14 days IF SHE HAD TICK FEVER. So I put her on it once again. Sable could not hold anything down so this whole time I am giving it to her with yogurt.

After 18 days Sable still was not right so I called Sheila again and she told me to put her on it for another 30 DAYS. STILL NO BLOOD TEST.

Eighteen days into giving her the medication I called Shelia because Sable was not responding. She finally said to bring her in and she would do a blood test.

Before she even did a blood test she told me that Sable had Schiff Schevington diseases. I asked her to write it down so that I could look it up on the Internet. She told me I would not find much. That even most doctors had not heard of it. She gave me a description of it and I did find it on the Internet under invertebral disk diseases so that is what she treated her for. She gave me steroids for her and gave her a shot.

THEN she took the blood test. The next day when my husband called to find out the result she told him that she had 75% kidney failure. He then asked if there was anything that we could do and she CHUCKLED and said what you want to give her a kidney transplant or dialyses. She was so cold and unsympathetic.

Kidney failure: By following your veterinarians advise, you can hope to relieve effectively the signs of a chronic kidney failure, and offer your pet a better quality of life. Although it cannot be cured, you may well slow the progression of the problem with appropriate diet and treatment.

For more info: http://www.inkabijou.co.uk/kidney.htm

My dog would still be alive today if Shelia had taken a blood test when I asked her to. Sable did not have tick fever. Sable had a kidney problems from bad teeth.

Pomeranians can live well over 15 and if she had done the blood test at the beginning as I asked, Sable would still be alive today. The blood test and visit was $35.00 BZE when she finally did it. What is your dog worth.

Small dogs, like Pomeranians, may not qualify for senior status until they are over 10, and may live long past age 15. A thorough veterinary examination for geriatric dogs is recommended at least twice a year. This way, you can address health crises as they occur, and work proactively with your veterinarian to maintain your senior dog's health. WHICH INCLUDES BLOOD TEST.

http://www.thepetprofessor.com/secArticles/dog/Caring_for_an_older_dog.asp

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT THE VETS HERE HAVE TO DO TO KEEP UP WITH THERE LICENSE.

I WANT TO HEAR YOUR SHELIA STORIES.
EMAIL ME [email protected]
OR MAIL TO P. O. BOX 162 SAN PEDRO

Thanks, Tina