Memory is a bit dim, but I'm reasonably sure that I wrote two. One direct to him and one to them. I faxed them some stuff, for example, a copy of my passport.

Like I said, I don't know how it works with the US (heck I can barely figure out how it works here) but if they do allow the "sponsor" (you) to be the contact representative, I strongly recommend you go that route.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?