deking3333 are you saying that I only visit San Pedro once a year? Or are you saying that I've only been here a little while? Both are implied by you and both are wrong, of course.

Some "small business 101": When a business is "taken over" in our free market society it generally means that it has been sold and bought. I believe one should sell a business when it is doing fairly well, with potential for growth and not when it is failing. Most buyers can see if a business is worth the selling price.

Part of the worth of a business is what you can get for it when you sell it. Just because you sell it doesn't mean it has failed. My experience has been quite the contrary. I have created and sold 4 different businesses here on Ambergris Caye. Of the 4 I sold, 3 are still doing very well indeed, the 4th folded because the owner suffered health problems and handed it over to the wrong person to look after.

I have no intention of telling you which businesses I created and sold; if you have lived here all those years and are as up to speed on your knowledge of business here on Ambergris Caye as you claim I have no doubt you already know each and every one of them.

I am going to concede one very valid point to you: It IS true that a lot of starry eyed Westerners fall in love with San Pedro, move down too rapidly and invest hurriedly. They get in with the drinking and drugs crowd. They think they're into the sharp and suave social scene here on Ambergris Caye, but all they succeed in doing is propping up bars and spending small fortunes each night.

Needless to say, the investments they have made do not get attended the way they should and soon all the money is gone and the dream is dashed.

For anyone considering coming to Belize to live....TAKE YOUR TIME....make several visits, each longer than the last, and get over the "starry eyed falling in love with Paradise" phase. If after a few visits of a few weeks or more each you still like it here, THEN you can make the committment.

And, if you are careful and attentive in your investments you will almost certainly succeed.