The Two Gringas Do It Again!

Day 5 -- Monday 2 February 2004 -- Texas

"Texas Breathes"

Mile 2227 - Van Horn, Texas

There is a kind of Zen to driving through the undulating scrubland of west Texas.

Unlike the infinite flatness of northwest Texas ("Where Dirt Comes to Die" in the //ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Main/21746/Number/210064), Hwy. 10 through southwest Texas has a hypnotic rhythm to it, a gentle up and down of live oaks, prickly pear, even water in the washes during wintertime. You begin to appreciate the engineering of the road cuts, the design and placement of the guard rails, the varying textures of pavement. The lines and signs lose their meaning -- like a word repeated over and over until its just a sound, a presence, like breathing. Speed and distance lose their meaning, your existence becomes a kind of bubble of metaphysical stasis, around which flows the undulating scrubland like water over a smooth stone -- just driving...always have been, always will be...destinationless.

. . .

I imagine myself spending my life photographing the wasting flesh and bleaching bones of the old route 10 highway towns; writing down the tattered, half-remembered chapters of the lives of those few relics who yet remain in residence, despite the freeway, which diverted the life-sustaining flow of traffic away from their futures...

. . .

Weird gas-pump numerology: filled 33.7 gallons at Van Horn, having driven 337 miles since the previous fill-up; then filled 32.4 gallons at Junction, TX, after driving exactly 324 miles...ooooh...

. . .

A brief surge of modernity intrudes, as we tunnel under the multilayered interchanges of San Antonio, then are spit out southward, first on 37, then on 281, and it's back to endless scrubland as we fade into a south Texas sunset...

== End of Day 5, Mile 2907, Pharr, TX ==

[Photos are: 1. Undulating west Texas, 2. Tunneling under San Antonio, 3. South Texas Sunset.]

Last edited by MissLena; 02/25/08 07:28 PM.