Scubaldy, it is possible that the man didn't have emphysema before entering the water. See 2) below:

"Overinflation of the lungs can result as a scuba diver ascends toward the surface without exhaling. During ascent, compressed gas trapped in the lung increases in volume until the expansion exceeds the elastic limit of lung tissue, causing damage and allowing gas bubbles to escape into one or more of three possible locations: 1) Gas entering the pleural space can cause lung collapse or pneumothorax; 2) Gas entering the mediastinum (space around the heart, trachea and esophagus) causes mediastinal emphysema and frequently tracks under the skin (subcutaneous emphysema) or into the tissue around the larynx, precipitating a change in the voice characteristics; and 3) Gas rupturing the alveolar walls can dissect into the pulmonary capillaries and pass via the pulmonary veins to the left side of the heart, where it is distributed according to relative blood flow, resulting in arterial gas embolism (AGE) (2).

While mediastinal or subcutaneous emphysema usually resolves spontaneously, pneumothorax may require specific treatment to remove the air and reinflate the lung. AGE is a medical emergency requiring appropriate intervention, which may include recompression treatment.

Lung overinflation injuries from scuba diving can range from dramatic and life threatening to mild symptoms of chest pain and dyspnea. Although pulmonary barotrauma is relatively uncommon, prompt medical evaluation is necessary, and evidence for this condition should always be considered in the presence of respiratory or neurologic symptoms following a dive."

Frankly, despite the above, I'm still confused by the doctor's diagnosis. Emphysema means trapped air (in the lungs and/or lung tissue), aspiration in this regard would mean something sucked into the lungs, like water. Maybe the guy had asthma and that caused the pulmonary barotrauma? Is there a doctor in the house?

It's not my intention to be insensitive to the man's family and friends. They have my most sincere sympathy. But for myself, if and when it's my time, how this man passed sounds like a pretty good way to go.

Last edited by seashell; 04/19/08 03:02 AM.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?