As a HUGE animal lover and supporter of our local SPCA, I am so glad to hear you were able to get the pup to SAGA for medical attention. I would have done the exact same thing in your shoes.

It is very alarming to me that such young children were involved. At that age, most kids are extremely compassionate and attached to animals, even those that are not their own. I would be hard pressed to believe this isn't learned behavior from some source.

At the risk of potentially compromising personal safety, I wouldn't go looking for the guy, I'd leave it up to the police.

A couple of years ago, 2 cats in my neighborhood were found dead, one was my beloved pet, Itchy. My neighbor and I suspected a man poisoned them, as we heard rumors and he had birds in cages in his backyard (a natural attraction to cats!). We called the Sheriff who went over to his home and investigated. Although it was never proved, as that is difficult to do unless catching animal abuse in the act, (the Sheriff suspected him as well and advised him so), he was given a print out about the law and consequences of a conviction for animal abuse. The Sheriff also told him that he would be watched by both law enforcement and his neighbors, but he didn't know which neighbors and seemed nervous and scared. We were strongly advised not to approach him due to possible retribution.

No further problems since and the birds are no longer there. Of course, things are very different in Belize, but I truly appreciated the "intimidation approach!"