my boyfriend and i spent 5 beautiful days/nights in belize .. this is my first actual account of the trip

we were on our own for the first time and it was kind of daunting ... our flight on TACA was smooth .. we arrive at the international airport late so all the shops were already closed for the day ... after waiting for about 40 minutes ... our little plane as i refer to it ... came and that was an exciting flight to ambergris caye .. we arrived as it was getting dark ... we were asked where we were headed to and said Caribbean Villas, a driver was pointed out to us as our driver ... the hotel said they would be picking us up .. as our driver was chatting with us .. the luggage carrier asked for our hotel .. got on his walkie talkie and said someone was going to pick us up .. we tried to tell him our driver was already here ... he kept insiting the hotel was going to send someone .. and that we should take this guy at our own risk ... we decided to wait but the driver caught up to us with the hotel on the line and said it was ok for us to go with him ... it still seemed rather suspicious to me .. especially when the driver said "those guys just get into everyone's business ..." we arrived at Caribbean Villas in just 5 minutes

our check in went smooth .. our room wasn't what i expected but we were on the beach .. even if we were on the second floor technically .. our room had a guestbook in it ... with suggestions of where to eat .. what to do .. and praise for the staff .. we decided to venture out .. it was dark now .. lighting was rather dim down the beach .. but since so many people were walking that way .. we decided how bad could it be? we turned back twice .. due to vacant lots ... that area would be quite dark and since we had clue where we were going .. i was rather nervous .. but we ventured on .. and found ourselves at BC's ... it was a windy night ... a slight chill in the air .. people were nice ... although we're not too sociable ... we walked back to our hotel .. read the rest of the guestbook .. came acorss one that gave us some trouble .. a couple wrote that they had a great time .. good food .. helpful staff .. and so forth ... but their one complaint was that ... they had their cameras [2] stolen while they slept! this gave us some worry since Christopher had brought his $1500 camera and was already regretting that ... he rigged the doorknob with his sandal so it would fall on the tile if turned ... it was effective .. we slept great our first night in belize

we had breakfast at estelle's .. it was massive .. we did lots and lots of walking ... island time is really slower ... i don't swim at all .. so we were testing our snorkels and my lifevest at the end of the pier ... the water was cold .. and slightly murky so we didn't see much ..

a must for everyone is snorkeling at hol chan ... i'm still convinced we overpaid through our hotel .. but i guess that's just the convenience charge .. the book recommended lil alphonse but they were all booked .. we went with searious adventures and had a great time ... it wasn't like snorkeling in cozumel where you slowly walking down steps into the water ... you kind of put on all your gear .. and go over the side ... as soon as we got into the water .. we saw sea turtle! and rays! and sharks! and eels .. and color schools of fish .. it was beautiful .. if nothing else went right .. hol chan would have made the trip worthwhile ..

we had a beach bbq at celi's that night .. and went to pier lounge for the chicken drop ... amusing although weird ...

for our other trip we went cave tubing and to the zoo .. the boat ride was fun .. searious did a very good job .. our guide didnt seem too excited at the zoo and not nearly as informative as the other groups' guide that passed us .. i did get to hold a snake! and saw some really cute animals ... lunch at the jaguar paw resort was very good surprisingly .. i could have done without the cave tubing ... unfortunately our hotel didnt suggest water shoes .. or to bring our own vests ... we walked in the river .. up the jungle with all of our gear ... i got rubber burns on my arms ... it's something to do to say you did it ... but i wouldnt do it again ..

we rented bikes from our hotel and rode north to nowhere ... without water ... without any idea of where we were going ... without having told anyone where we were going ... and with sucky brakes .. i nearly collided with other bikers leaving our hotel! we turned around after a long long long while ...

we rented kayaks from xanadu one day ... that was a disaster ... i didnt have contacts anymore at this point .. so i was wearing glasses ... sunscreen was in my eyes ... the boyfriend wasnot at all being understanding about my inability with watersports .. or sports in general ... i was red and blotchy by the time he took pity on me and turned around ...

we ate at the all the suggested places .. elvi's, monkey bites, caramba .. oddly enough the food we liked the most came from vendors .. excellent pineapple from a sweet little old lady .. and papusas ..

we had a great time but it was time for us to come home .. he started law school the next day after we got back .. to freezing weather might i add ...

some pics of our trip is below:

http://www.slide.com/r/X1Kry8Ht4D9w...view=mscd_embedded_url&view=original

"You only live once, but if you live right, once is enough."