They can write a ticket but until there is an SI stating the mandatory change of plate I believe you can probably appeal in court and will not be required to pay for the ticket.

The town council needs to follow a legal procedure to bring this change into effect - and a notice on the tv and radio is not sufficient.

I guess I'll be testing this out pretty soon.