Originally Posted by Niklauryn
Just returned from AC in September...AT&T charged 50 per call, 1.30 roaming.we kept checking our phone for bill amt...kept saying -$10.00 coverage doesn't show up for about 3 weeks....bill when we got home $1,174.36...you can purchase international coverage for something like $5.00 per month from AT&T, if that is your provider...

Ouch! This is probably because you didn't turn off data roaming on your phone before you got to Belize.

The AT&T customer service rep. gave me some valuable information before I left the states. He said to go into the phone menu and turn off data roaming (I have an IPhone; not sure about other phones) or I would get a whopping bill. The first time I turned on my phone in Belize, AT&T sent me a text message stating that the "international data rate of $19.97/MB applies. The unlimited domestic data rate plan does NOT apply in this location. Detail: att.com/global"

Of course I didn't have to worry because I had already turned it off. My phone menu actually reads "turn data roaming off when abroad to avoid substantial roaming charges when using email, web browsing, and other data services."