Hon, Ontario is an English province not bilingual. NB is our only bilingual province. The operating language of the Ontario government is English and yes my position did require me to be fluent in English. One way the government gets around language issues is to designate a position as bilingual and then test you on your fluency in French. It doesn't do this for English fluency for francophones (some from Quebec) applying for the same position. In Sudbury (30% francophone) some gov't offices are 95% francophone (not just French speaking). How is that fair? Good thing your kids are fluent because they will need it in Ontario if they want to work in gov't or any agency connected to gov't.
I am married to a franco-ontarian and have experienced both acceptance and disdain for being of English decent (mostly from her Quebecois relatives). The bigotry shoe does fit on the other foot quite well... We are still 'maudit anglais' to many "Canadien/nes" in and out of Quebec although not usually openly expressed (a hidden cultural resentment). I am happy for you that your limited connection to French Canada is a good one