Belize�����. Bahhleeeze����bahhhleeezzzzzzz� it rolls off my tongue like the mantra I use to calm my soul. Sooooooooohhhhhaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmm (I am) Baaaahhhhlleeezzzz��� I would like to say "it is"���.
It is���� what? It is warm and inviting. Soothing and quiet. Soul stirring and comforting. It is like a warm embrace that holds you so tight that you lose the boundary of the flesh and become one soul.
Belize��� it encompasses all your senses while at the same time it picks just one to tantalize. When you land in Belize City your fist whiff of warm sea air has a slight twinge of jet fuel. A light breeze brushes your cheek like a long lost lover. The buzz of the activity around you goes without notice as you make your way inside the departure lounge for the last flight out over the reef.
Climbing aboard the puddle jumper you take in the view that still amazes and astounds you. The dark green of the jungle gives way to the colors of the reef that melt from a light green to light blue to indigo. Intermitting clouds make it look like a child's art project that is dotted with Elmer's glue and cotton. The drone of the plane's engine fills your ears pushing out all thoughts in your head. A gentle sway of the plane will soon be replaced with the sway of a well worn hammock that hangs between two palm trees. Sentry guards that stand over you, keeping watch. Never revealing their secrets.
The fragrance of curry and hot pepper hang in the air as you draw in long, deep breaths. Chicken on the barbie, rice and beans along with various barbeques are fused with salty sea air. If the feeling of warmth could have a scent, that would be it.
In the distance you hear the different sounds of the island. Children laughing and playing, the beat of the drums along with the strum of the guitars. A woman walking by you on the beach sings softly to herself the melodic rhythm of a long forgotten song.
Burying your toes in the warm sand, the feeling radiates up into your body. Warmth, serenity, calm. The cold drink in your hand helps to keep your thirst at bay. But your thirst for wanderlust forever beckons.
While life's roads will take you to far off lands, the one place that will forever reside in your soul will be Belize�����"it is".

Take the road less traveled