Government says findings of UNICEF Report need to be taken seriously

Gaspar Vega

After receiving the full report, the Deputy Prime Minister Gaspar Vega and Minister of Social Transformation Eden Martinez acknowledged the need to take the findings seriously, while the Leader of the Opposition, John Briceño contended that it’s time to get to work.

Gaspar Vega, Deputy Prime Minister

“We have to ensure that we work hand in hand with our partners, especially our international partners because we all know for the implementation of the [recommendations in the] analysis report, we’ll need resources that we don’t have. So we will need the assistance, the support from these other institutions.”

Eden Martinez

Eden Martinez, Minister of Social Transformation

“Everybody was quite candid as it relates to the issues that were raised and I mean we cannot bury our heads in the sand. The report is a comprehensive one and it becomes our responsibility now as a government to look at it and let us build on the strengths and improve on the weaknesses that are reported within.”

John Briceño

John Briceño, Leader of the Opposition

“It is important for us as a country to sit around a table; the government, the different departments in the government, the different NGOs and even the opposition; for us to be able to take a hard look at the report in front of us and then for us to decide who is going to be doing what. Of course, the government has to take the lead for us then to stop that duplication and in some instances wasting valuable limited resources. So I think it’s time for us to—you know the studies are finished, the talk shop is finished so I think it’s time to roll up our sleeves and start to work.”

Recommendations were also put on the table including to expand the scope and capacity of tertiary education offerings, focus on improving communications and technology and increase access for women and adolescents to business opportunities.

Channel 5