Before the candidates took their seats for their formal introduction, they embraced each other in a group prayer. The candidates were introduced one by one after a brief bio of their accomplishments was presented by UDP Chairman, Patrick Faber. Faber spared no words in sharing his bold projections of the slate.

Patrick Faber – Chairman, UDP
“From north to south ladies and gentlemen, from Corozal to Punta Gorda, from Benque Viejo to San Pedro Town we are ready for the municipal elections, let this be the start. Let it be known that we will sweep all of these municipal elections and send the signals to all concerned that we are coming for the general elections.”

Led by Attorney Darrel Bradley as its Mayoral candidate, the UDP is hell-bent on delivering a trashing to their political opponents at the polls come 2012. Bradley, confidently pledged to his party Leader, Prime Minister Dean Barrow, his commitment to help propel his party to victory.

Darrell Bradley – UDP Mayoral Candidate
“I will pledge to you this morning party leader that the same way that you provide that leadership and you can inspire a nation to move forward and to want to uplift our self, it is the same way that I will commit to you that I will do everything in my power to return the United Democratic Party to the city council. We have a commitment and every single day that we are on the job in city hall we will work hard to ensure that the lives of every single citizen of Belize City is better and we will move forward as one slate into the upcoming general elections and you will see the type of leadership and the type of visionary transformation that we mean to bring to Belize City.”

But when it came down to the crooks of the matter – that is the urgent needs of the city, Barrow said that, if elected, the slate, in partnership with Central Government had an immediate plan for some of Belize City’s decrepit streets.

Prime Minister Dean Barrow
“There is the IDB funded project that will see us refurbish streets and construct new drains on the north side of Belize City; in the Belama area in particular we expect to be handsomely looked after as a consequence of this project. On the south side of Belize City, phase two of the South side poverty alleviation project begins in the next couple of weeks. There are several components to that project involving repairs to houses, involving the construction of new homes and involving a great deal of infrastructure works as well, the lining of Collet Canal, the paving from end to end of Central American Boulevard, the paving from end to end of Jane usher Boulevard , remedial works on a number of access streets.”

The UDP slate of councilors includes incumbents: Dean Samuels, Dion Leslie, Roger Espejo, Kevin Singh, Eric Chang and Philip Willoughby and newcomers: Alifa Elrington, Bernard Pitts Junior, Doctor Alain Gonzalez and Michael Theus.

LOVEFM