Belizean conservationist and Director of the Belize Zoo and Tropical Education Center Sharon Matola is on a list of nominees for the biennial Indianapolis Prize. According to a statement announcing the nomination, the work of all the Indianapolis Price nominees spans the globe, representing a range of species and locales. Matola told Love FM's Patrick Jones that she was stunned by the news that she had been nominated for the prestigious international honor.

Sharon Matola - Director, Belize Zoo
"Stunned. Stunned and honoured. I think it is a great honor to be considered for this prize.

Patrick Jones - Reporter
Did you imagine that your work would culminate with this citation?

Sharon Matola - Director, Belize Zoo
Absolutely not. I enjoy what I do so much, it is such a pleasure to be able to live a life that you love living and to think that someone wants to award you for doing something you love; it is not within my comprehension right now. I am thrilled I think if I make it into the top six finalists it would be great notice for our country."

The Nominating Committee will review the applications and select six finalists who will announced in the first quarter of next year. The prize jury will then determine the winner who will be announced in md-2012. The next Indianapolis Prize Gala will is set for September 29, 2012.

LOVEFM