"Sketching My Way" art exhibition opens in Belize City

An art exhibition called "Sketching My Way" opens today in Belize city. The artist is San Ignacio resident Stacy Rodriguez. It is Rodriquez's first exhibit but her passion for sketching started years ago. She says she started out sketching in her living room on a day that she had nothing to do.

Stacy Rodriguez, Artist
My pieces here are all pencil work, regular pencils and color pencils. I just did it one day, I was bored sitting on the sofa, paging through a magazine and I decided to draw a face out of the magazine.

Monica Bodden, Channel 7 Journalist
What's the longest piece that you have worked on?

Stacy Rodriguez
The tiger.

Monica Bodden
How long did it take you to complete it?

Stacy Rodriguez
Eight hours.

Monica Bodden
Tell us a little bit about some of the art pieces that you have on display.

Stacy Rodriguez
Well there is the famous tiger, which is up for auction for a charity - a domestic violence shelter; there are three pieces up for auction for them. The other pieces are a collection of all the stuff I have done for the past two years.

Monica Bodden
Over the two year time span, how many pieces have you sketched?

Stacy Rodriguez
I have sketched eighty.

Monica Bodden
How do the ideas come to mind for you?

Stacy Rodriguez
Well most of them are from pictures, but sometimes I get an idea. There is one of a finger with a face on the nail - so some are from my imagination.

Monica Bodden
You said that two years ago, you were on the sofa and you just decided to sketch something. Was that the very first time, you didn't know that you had this talent at all?

Stacy Rodriguez
No I didn't draw before, I crafted, but I have never sketched before.

Monica Bodden
So now your display will be here for how long?

Stacy Rodriguez
Until February 11th.

Monica Bodden
So you are inviting others to come by and check it out?

Stacy Rodriguez
Yes I am inviting everyone to come out tonight on opening night. There will be prizes and giveaways and the auction is for a good cause, it is a charity, so they can come and be generous and have a good time.

The exhibition opens tonight at 7pm at the Bliss Center for Performing arts in Belize City.

PlusTV