FISHING REPORT

April 12, 2012

Well, with the coming of the full moon, the strong Easter winds died down together with it as usual except for a few showers here and there, but nothing to stop a true angler from going out for some serious fishing; and boy am I excited about writing this report, because it was one of the best fishing weeks ever!!!

It is sailfish season down here and there is quite a bit of sailfish around, but you have to know how to catch them, because they can be tricky. If you want to drift fish for them along the drop off, where they usually hang around looking for food, the best bait is using a live sardine with a small hook with a short wire leader and about 15 feet of 150lb test shock leader to go with it. A few friends have landed some this week and on good Friday, I landed 2 myself!!! The sailfish down here are Atlantic sailfish and are relatively small, average 30 to 50 lbs, but can be a lot of fun on light tackle.

The dorado's are still doing good, caught some nice ones this week, but my ultimate day was today, April 11th. Landing 2 white marlins, a 40 lb dorado and a bunch of black fin tuna's and big barracudas!!! Now that is what I call a great day of fishing down here, since white marlin are rare for down here and consider yourselve lucky if you catch one or two for the whole year, so landing 2 on the same day is exceptional!!!

The flats have been doing good, mostly for bonefish and permit. The tarpon have been a bit elusive this week. The bonefish honeyhole, behind Cangrejo Caye is a sure thing but you have to know how to catch them, because they are starting to get tricky or real smart, I guess that is why they hang around in schools, ja ja!!! I will give you a few tips on how to catch them next week. From what I here from my other fellow captains, the reef fishing has been a bit slow, except for the old faithful, the barracuda.

Just got to keep your lines in the water and hope for the best, after all it is called fishing, not catching!!!!

Tight lines, Capt Hillyboo

Here is a white marlins I caught yesterday, there were two.