From a good friend on Caye Caulker, Diane Kuylen, this morning

This morning, as I entered Marie's Laundromat on Back Street, Caye Caulker, I was surprised to find the usually sunny Ms. Marie looking quite worrisome and distraught.

In fact, like a hurricane it hit me that NEVER had I ever been in that Laundromat, or even passed by as she 'tended' the clothes on her lines in the yard, without Ms. Marie shinning her lovely smile in greeting.
Taken aback, I asked casually if she was having a 'rough day', tough I'd never seen Ms. Marie closed or taking a break - what could a tough day mean to her? She didn't answer me, looking distracted still, as I lay the laundry basket filled with washing on the floor. Even more curious now to find out, exactly WHAT could get this lovely, kind, sunny figure in Caye Caulker down, I asked a little more persistently what was wrong....

With an 'Mmmmm?....', she realized what I was saying and then, explained, as she wiped the silent drops from her eyes that her 14 year old son had Fallen at the local Basketball Court, and had broken his hip. The Belize City (KH ) Hospital did not have the 3 pins he needed to mend his hip and as a result would have to refer him to a Private Hospital. The cost of the operation there would be $3,500.00 Belize Dollars ($1,750.00 US). She looked at me broken-heartedly and expressed: ' Me no have that deh kinda money! Me no sleep da night! Whe I gwien get that deh kind a money from?' Which basically means that she doesn't have the money to pay for the operation and cannot imagine where it will come from.

So for you None Belizeans, and Belizeans alike who visit this board - All the strife that occurs in Paradise, is not only targeted on tourists (Ok - couldn't help that one!:-) Forgive the stray.)

My point in printing this was more an appeal of some kind. If there are people on the island who frequent this message board and would like to give Ms. Marie (we all know who she is) a hand with the expense of her 14 year old son's Hip Operation, 'Go deh strong! Nuff Respect!'; and those None-Islanders who might feel inclined to help, send an email to: [email protected] and place Ms. Marie in the Subject Matter.
One People! No matter the color, the race, the religion, the language...
Diane
////////////

If you feel like you can help, give Diane an email..... email address just right above...

I'm pitching in. Let's see what we can do...

Marty

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 09-05-2001).]