John Zabaneh speaks with PlusTV about US Drug Kingpin Designation

As you may be aware, John Zabaneh has been recently black listed by the U.S. Department-Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC). According to OFAC three Belizean businessmen John Zabaneh, his nephew Dion Zabaneh, and a close associate, Daniel Moreno are key associates of Joaquin "Chapo" Guzman Loera and other members of the Sinaloa Cartel. Plus news was able to travel south late Friday evening and had an extended interview with John Zabaneh in which he told his part of the story. In that interview we questioned Zabaneh as to his relation and ties with the named individuals in the release.

John Zabaneh - Proprietor of Mayan King
It was a complete surprise when I was informed of this by Jules Vasquez. Naturally I know my nephew but he lives in Belize City and I live here. He doesn't come to Dangriga, he doesn't come to where I am because he is a Belize City boy , and I don't go there. I have not seen him or spoken to him in at least 6 to 7 years maybe more! The other gentleman I don't even know him, or know of him, (I have) never heard of him. They are definitely at fault this time, it's just to wonder now if they would concede to their mistakes and beg pardon.

The release which was issued worldwide late last week also stated that US persons are prohibited from conducting business with the three men. For John Zabaneh that is not the best of news for both him and the country of Belize as his company Mayan King brings in an approximate US15million Dollars in revenues.

Well it is quite a bit because we are exporting between 27,000 to 30,000 boxes of bananas weekly and our citrus production is nearing 400,000. It fluctuates sometimes but anywhere between 325,000 and 500,000 boxes of oranges. As you can see out here, right here in nearby villages, you are looking at between 2,500 and 3,000 people who depend directly (on Maya King).

And while he maintains that there is no proof to what OFAC is saying and that it's all fabricated; in closing Zabaneh did have a few words for US Ambassador to Belize, Vinai Thummalapally.

It very unfortunate that all this (has) happened. It is a complete surprise to me. This is not something to rejoice over because this is as good as a foreign invasion. While there might be some people out there looking at this disaster on the family, it is our country that is going to feel on the long run...There is not much to say; except that "Mr. Ambassador look out for me and I am coming to see you with my attorney, of course.

n our interview with him, Zabaneh urged the other blacklisted men to speak with the media and clear their name concerning the designation issued against them. You can view Plus TV's interview with John Zabaneh in its entirety during the Rise and Shine Morning Show.

PlusTV