The October 21st, 2012 issue of The STAR (Cayo) is online HERE

This Week's Stories:

• Brave Policeman Cracks Crime Ring: The heroic actions of a senior police officer resulted in the onsite apprehension of at least one person, from a team, long suspected of involvement in a string of robberies within the community. It was shortly after 10 o’clock on the night of Friday October 12, 2012, when Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Amin “Sheriff” August was recreating with friends at a bar in his home village of Esperanza when three armed robbers stormed into the bar with intent to pull off a robbery.
  • Trapp Gets Five Years For Burglary: Convicted burglar Harvey Trapp Jr. was today sentenced to five years in jail after he was found guilty of burglarizing the home of Ramon “Monchies” Vargas in March 2012. Six and a half months ago, on March 31, Belizean teacher, Ramon Vargas, 43, reported that his house, located in the Hillview area of Santa Elena Town, was burglarized and that the thief made off with over 11 thousand dollars in electronic items, jewellery and cash. In the report to the police Vargas informed that he secured and left his house at around 6 o’clock that Saturday morning and proceeded to the market in San Ignacio to conduct his trading business
  • People on the Move for Justice: BY: Rolando Cocom Since the recent murders in the Twin Towns, people in the Cayo District have become increasingly vocal about their concerns to reduce, and if possible end, the hideous crimes afflicting our society. I extend my sincerest sympathies to all Belizeans who have had to experience criminal activity, especially to the families who have lost their loved ones, particularly the Martinez and Lowe families. No number of demonstrations, no whipping of criminals, no person hanged, will ever be able to heal the void left in the lives of those who have lost loved ones.
  • REACTION TO GUATEMALAN WHO WAS SHOT, BY Wellington C. Ramos: If it is true that our Government is planning to compensate the family of the Guatemalan citizen who unlawfully entered our country to extract our natural resources, I am totally against such proposition. According to the information that was in the press, not only did he try to come into the country but he was also armed with a weapon to try and shoot one of our BDF soldiers. As a former member of the Belize Police Force and the United States Army, if I was in that soldier's position I would have acted the same way without any reservation or hesitation.
  • Increasing The Nation’s Forensic Capability: Minister John Saldivar’s speech: “I feel extremely privileged to have been afforded this opportunity of addressing this most captive audience - and one capable of influencing positive change in our fight against crime and violence here in Belize; I am encouraged by your presence here this morning; this certainly gives me the assurance that as stakeholders we are all committed to create a safe and secure environment where our citizens and visitors can live in peace with itself. I wish to welcome the Hon. Minister and her team to Belize. My understanding is that the programme of events included a fly over in a helicopter along the Belize/Guatemala border accompanied by the Vice Minister of Guatemala and CEO in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
  • October 19, 2012 “The Cayo and Benque Viejo” Celebrating 108 Years of Townships:
  • STAR Humor
  • Your Weekly Horoscope and Lucky Numbers
  • Letters to the Editor
  • Public Notices