from a friend, in a comment to Lan's note...

I am on board with your thoughts. McAfee certainly knows more than he pretends and even his girlfriend Sam contradicted his alibi on the day of the murder. As the reporter noted McAfee is great at misdirection but when you take that away your are left with some disturbing realities. Overall the one writer from Wired had it right when he mentioned there was some element of truth in some of what he has said. But clearly the jungle and the environment "infected" him and something has gone very wrong with McAfee. The Apocalypse Now comparison was right on.

I don't know anybody that was in the piece but they seemed believable. I'd love to have an off-the-record with the one McAfee guard they interviewed. I was also intrigued by Miss Amy. As was noted she really grew up fast and seems well beyond her years.

http://insidedateline.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/17/16573288-antivirus-pioneer-john-mcafee-reveals-new-details-to-dateline-nbc

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/dateline/50515066/#50515024

Excellent, and I think fair and balanced, not to mention in-depth, reporting.

Belize and the government come off pretty well in it.

Thanks for posting the link.

One interesting fact I hadn't heard before is that McAfee rented Faull's house on North Ambergris to use as his lab before he opened his own lab in Orange Walk District. Apparently he trashed it totally before he moved out. So that in addition to all the problems Greg had with McAfee's dogs and thuggish security guards, McAfee apparently knew Faull a lot better than he let on.

I know several of the people interviewed in the story, and I totally believe what they say. McAfee is slick and smart, but I don't believe half of what he says.

Although it sounds like McAfee is never going to have to face a real investigation or trial, I'm more convinced than ever that there's evidence that he or perhaps his security guards had something to do with the death. And that that McAfee himself is not so much paranoid as a psychopath.

I am on board with your thoughts. McAfee certainly knows more than he pretends and even his girlfriend Sam contradicted his alibi on the day of the murder. As the reporter noted McAfee is great at misdirection but when you take that away your are left with some disturbing realities. Overall the one writer from Wired had it right when he mentioned there was some element of truth in some of what he has said. But clearly the jungle and the environment "infected" him and something has gone very wrong with McAfee. The Apocalypse Now comparison was right on. I don't know anybody that was in the piece but they seemed believable. I'd love to have an off-the-record with the one McAfee guard they interviewed. I was also intrigued by Miss Amy. As was noted she really grew up fast and seems well beyond her years.

Now that I've had time to view the footage , I guess I have different standards of what constitutes in-depth reportage. It wasmostly a recapitulation of already-published information with one or two semi-interesting bits information added, mainly the assertion that Greg Faull admitted poisoning the dogs and conflicting stories about alibis. Without the padding for endless commercials, that story could have been told in 15 minutes. I don't know how you can say the government of Belize comes off looking good when the perception is that the investigation has stalled. I know police rightly want to keep details out of the press until an arrest is made, but usually there are ongoing press releases and other assurances the investigation is proceeding. The silence is deafening. It would be a tragedy if Greg Faull's murder just disappears from view. It's a tragedy when any Belizean's murder just disappears from view.

Do you have reason to believe that Greg Faull's murder will be dealt with any differently than any other Belizean citizen?

The rate of conviction for serious crimes in Belize is indeed a tragedy. Unfortunately, I don't see any relief in sight.

And I agree with you. I also don't think the Belizean Governement came off looking good.

On how Belize came off, obviously the Dateline piece wasn't a PR video, but on the other hand ...

* Belize police, the San Pedro mayor, government officials including the PM I thought generally came across as intelligent, reasonable people doing their job, maybe not perfectly but trying to be fair * There were some shots of beautiful Belize scenery, the sea, rivers, bush, upscale beach homes, etc. and not much, say, of rundown or scary areas of Belize City or elsewhere

* A couple of times the statement was made (inaccurately, of course) that one reason Faull moved to Belize was due to its low crime rate, and that crimes against expats were rare

The negative stuff IMO was mostly about McAfee -- scenes of him with guns, young girls one-fifth his age and of his security guards, of him babbling on at first about great Belize was and then later ranting about how terrible it is.

I imagine how outsiders would react to the piece is more about how they already feel about the Belize government and about McAfee. If they believe McAfee is a sane, rational, smart guy, more a victim than a victimizer, and that the Belize government is corrupt and incompetent, then they're going to feel the piece supported their view and that Belize came off badly. If they feel McAfee's actions are at least somewhat suspect, they may have more positive views of Belize.

I don't think Greg Faull's murder will be handled any differently than any other murder in Belize, nor do I think it should. And that's all the tragedy. Every time a murder goes unsolved or unprosecuted, it's a tragedy for the victim, the family, the community, and the nation as a whole.

I don't know what to think of John McAfee, except to see that he is a very complicated character. He may be a sane, smart, rational guy, a victim, a victimizer, a scammer, and a loose cannon all at once. I agree some officials come off as intelligent, reasonable people trying to do their jobs, others not so much. In my view the GOB is not so different from governments anywhere, especially the US government at all levels. Are there hard-working officials trying to do a good job? Yes there are. Are there corrupt officials using their position solely for personal gain? Well, unfortunately that's true too.

As to whether "Trouble in Paradise" is good investigative journalism or not, kindly watch Edward R. Murrow's "Harvest of Shame" or Walter Cronkite's series on the Vietnam War and then tell me how it compares. I doubt it'll hold up well.