Guatemalan 2012 tourism publication map shows Belize as part of Guatemala

Lions-Club-Glasses-Donation-1The San Pedro Lions Club received some 700 pairs of refurbished prescription glasses that will be distributed around the country to those most in need. The donation comes through the efforts of Lion Louise Kerensted. Kerensted is a lion member and former President of the Stonewall District Lions Club in Stonewall, Manitoba, Canada. She also sits on the board of directors for the Manitoba Eye Bank. Who would have thought at a Friday night of barbeque and bingo at the Lion's Den would result in this rather sizeable donation.

Kerensted spoke to The San Pedro Sun of how the donation came about. "I brought my family to Belize last year and we came to the Lion's Den Barbeque and Bingo on a Friday Night. Bonnie and I and some of the other Lions got to talking and they said that this was one thing that this club did. So, when I got home as I'm a member of the board of directors of the Manitoba Eye Bank and I know that this was part of what we did, I figured why not. All the clubs collect these glasses and then they're repaired and then the prescriptions are put on them and they go all over the world, and so I thought, well, I'm coming back to Belize, wouldn't it be wonderful if I could bring glasses? And so I emailed down here and got an idea of what types of glasses were most required and sent that information to our recycling center - and I asked for anywhere around 700 pairs and that's what they gave me, 700 pairs."

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun