FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7 and Channel 5
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Tropic Air will inaugurate service from Belize City to Cancun on March 25th
Effective March 25th, 2013, Tropic Air will launch 6 weekly flights (daily except for Saturday) between Belize City's Phillip Goldson International Airport (BZE) and Aeropuerto Internacional de Canc�n, Mexico (CUN). Tickets are on sale now through March 24, 2013 at an introductory fare of $309 round trip from Belize City to Cancun for travel between March 25th, 2013 and December 15th, 2013. Fuel surcharge, taxes and other conditions may apply.

Ambergris Today

Belizeans Trained in Combating Illicit Trafficking Firearms, Ammunition and Explosives
An Inter-Institutional Training Course in Combating Illicit Trafficking in Firearms, Ammunition and Explosives started on Monday, February 25, 2013, at the National Police Training Academy in Belmopan. Sponsored by the United Nations Regional Center for Peace, Disarmament & Development in Latin America & the Caribbean (UNLIREC), the course is being attended by over fifty participants from agencies such as the Belize Police Force, Belize Defense Force, National Coastguard, Customs, Forensics Department, Scenes of Crime and Airport Security and Prisons. The Training Course will run for two weeks, from February 25 to March 8, 2013.

Government Issues Warning Against Clearing of Belize/Guatemala Border
Since last week, media houses in the city have been reporting about Mr. Will Maheia and his group called the Belize Territorial Volunteers who have set the date, Saturday, March 2, 2013, to begin a project called "Clearing Our Borderline." Media houses reported that a release from Maheia sent earlier last week says quote, "Over the past 30 years our borders have been neglected and as a result, several incursions have occurred into our beautiful, sovereign country. Guatemalans have come into the villages and pillaged people's farms and stolen their horses." It adds, "Our mission is simple, we exist to educate our people as to the reality of our Western border and to maintain a watchful eye, to ensure that Belize's territorial sovereignty is never called into question." It was with this in mind that the Government of Belize issued the following press release issuing a warning against the clearing of the Belize/Guatemala Border line: Belmopan, 25th February, 2013 - The Government of Belize, in discharge of its duty to ensure the safety and security of all persons in our country, hereby advises all members of the public that any attempt on their part to clear the Western Border can give rise to serious danger to themselves and we therefore strongly advise against participation in any such action.

Tropic Air Announces Service From Belize City to Cancun, Mexico
Tropic Air announced on Tuesday, February 26, 2013, that on Friday, February 22nd, after ten months of work, Tropic Air received a license from the Government of Mexico. Tickets for this highly anticipated flight from Belize International Airport to Cancun, Mexico, are now available for sale. Effective March 25th, 2013, Tropic Air will launch 6 weekly flights (daily except for Saturday) between Belize's Phillip Goldson International Airport (BZE) and Aeropuerto Internacional de Canc�n, Mexico (CUN). Tickets are on sale now through March 24, 2013 at an introductory fare of $309USD round trip from Belize City to Cancun for travel between March 25th, 2013 and December 15th, 2013. Fuel surcharge, taxes and other conditions may apply. Cancun is Tropic's first destination in Mexico and its third international route. Last year, Tropic added Belize City to San Pedro Sula, Honduras service to complement its existing daily Belize City to Flores, Guatemala route. This is in addition to its 11 domestic destinations within Belize.

Misc Belizean Sources

Help for Tio Jim Hanna
Long time San Pedro resident and family man, Jim Hanna, known to two generations of San Pedranos' as 'Tio Jim,' is suffering another bout with cancer. If the generous folks of the island can help him and his family with the cost of treatments ot would be a lifesaver. Contact Eve at 623-9962 [email protected] or Jim at 622-8137 Gracias...

MFA scolds Wil Maheia
The Government of Belize, in discharge of its duty to ensure the safety and security of all persons in our country, hereby advises all members of the public that any attempt on their part to clear the Western Border can give rise to serious danger to themselves and we therefore strongly advise against participation in any such action. Proposed efforts as reported in the media may conduce to a disturbance of the peace and to unnecessary tensions between two countries, contrary to the long-standing efforts that successive Belize Governments have been working hard to secure. The danger inherent in such action can readily be seen from the details of a press conference which was called by then Prime Minister Said Musa on 26th February, 2000. Instructive excerpts of that speech are now reproduced in this release, and we quote:

Photos: Actun Tunichil Muknal Assignment
Just got done with post processing this assignment. It takes my back to my roots in adventure and travel. I did a lot of caving when I was a bit younger. ATM Cave was an absolute pleasure to photograph. I have to give a really, really, big thanks to Jamaal Crawford at PACZ Tours for providing the logistics and Jaime Awe at The Institute of Archaeology of Belize for commissioning me to photograph the cave. What a great way to start off the new year!

La Ruta Maya Cultural Night
Thursday 7th March 2013, Galen's Eagle Band Performing Live!

TROPIC AIR WILL INAUGURATE SERVICE FROM BELIZE CITY TO CANCUN, MEXICO ON MARCH 25th, 2013
Tropic Air today announces that on Friday, February 22nd, after ten months of work, Tropic Air received a license from the Government of Mexico. Tickets for this highly anticipated flight from Belize City International Airport to Cancun, Mexico, are now available for sale. Effective March 25th, 2013, Tropic Air will launch 6 weekly flights (daily except for Saturday) between Belize City's Phillip Goldson International Airport (BZE) and Aeropuerto Internacional de Canc�n, Mexico (CUN). Tickets are on sale now through March 24, 2013 at an introductory fare of $309 round trip from Belize City to Cancun for travel between March 25th, 2013 and December 15th, 2013. Fuel surcharge, taxes and other conditions may apply.

High Speed Vessel Swift Kicks off Southern Partnership Station in Belize
Are you wondering what are the stealthy looking highly armed, camouflaged speed boats doing in our lagoons and our Corozal Bay lately? It is the High Speed Vessel Swift Kick off Southern Partnership Station in Belize. Sailors disembarked High Speed Vessel Swift 2 here, Feb. 18, to begin Southern Partnership Station 2013, a U.S. 4th Fleet deployment designed to strengthen civil and maritime capabilities with regional partner nations in the Caribbean. The team was comprised primarily of Seabees from Riverine Squadron (RIVRON) 2 and Construction Battalion Maintenance Unit (CBMU) 202. Each team will spend time working with host-nation partners to strengthen relationships and joint interoperability. CBMU 202 Seabees will build a multipurpose open bay structure, known as a seahut, and provide the materials for up to two additional buildings. RIVRON 2 Seabees will share their expertise with the Belize Defense Force and help them improve their skills in areas such as interdiction and inserts and extracts of security teams on the water.

CRFM Ministerial Sub-Committee on Flyingfish calls stakeholders to action
Fisheries ministers who met on Friday, 22 February 2013, in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, to review urgent governance and management issues challenging the seven Caribbean countries that currently harvest the Eastern Caribbean flyingfish (scientific name: Hirundichthys affinis), are calling stakeholders across the region to action. At the ministerial meeting, convened by the Caribbean Regional Fisheries Mechanism (CRFM) and chaired by The Bahamas, the CRFM Ministerial Sub-Committee on Flyingfish issued a call to stakeholders, asking them to ensure that the necessary technical consultations and analyses are completed to ensure that the final Strategic Action Programme (SAP) report, which will be used to lobby for funding, adequately provides for the interests and needs of the people of the CARICOM/CRFM States. The ministers also called upon the countries to ensure that the consultations with stakeholders at the national level and the updating of the Draft Fisheries Management Plan for the flyingfish are completed in a timely manner, so that the final plan can be submitted to the Sub-committee for endorsement at its next sitting in May 2013 in Barbados.

New World Ups Working Interest in Belize Project
New World Oil and Gas Plc announced it has formally received a 75 percent working interest in its Blue Creek Project located in the producing Pet�n Basin in Northwest Belize. This follows the Belize Ministry of Natural Resources and the Environment formally approving the assignment of a further 40 percent working interest in the Project to New World's wholly owned subsidiary, New World Oil and Gas (Belize) Ltd ('NW Belize'). The assignment follows the drilling of two exploration wells on the Blue Creek PSA 'B-Crest' location, as detailed in the Farm-Out Agreement ('FOA') announced on 16 June 2011. Having drilled two wells to date in Belize, the Blue Creek #2 and #2A ST, under the terms of the FOA, the Company is on track to earn-into a 100 percent working interest in the Project by drilling the West Gallon Jug Crest prospect to a total depth of 8,800 feet. Drilling will commence on this third well in March 2013.

How I Fell Madly In Love With Belize
In Belize, I fell down a cliff into Tiger Creek, 20 yards from an 800-foot waterfall, ruined my new camera, nearly lost my lucky hat and endured pounding rain and roads as bumpy as political budget talks. Yet, I can't wait to go back. I've had a long and enduring love affair with Latin America. To each new country, I give my whole heart. But there have been problems. I can't understand a single word anyone says. I have tried to learn Spanish, have even mastered a few questions that, to my ear, sound pretty authentic. But the minute someone answers back, I panic and end up looking like the idiot gringo I am. In Belize, because the official language is English, I could actually converse with locals. Instead of just exchanging smiles, I could share jokes, learn about their families and move the relationship beyond my normal ceiling of "Hola! Como Estas! Muy bien. Y tu?" It was magical, leading me to wonder, "Why in the heck haven't I been to Belize before?"

Prepare Now to See the Whale Shark Migration to Belize
Travellers wishing to experience the spectacular annual whale shark migration to Belize had better begin preparing now if they want to make the most of this rare opportunity, according to the Belize Natural History Centre at Chaa Creek. The whale shark is the world's largest fish and the third largest animal on the planet. Long known in Belize as "Sapodilla Tom" due to its penchant for staying at the Sapodilla Cayes and Gladden Spit during its annual feeding and breeding season, the whale shark has a recorded length of 12.65 metres (41.50 ft) and weighs in at more than 36 tonnes (79,000 lb). Although they are true sharks (Rhincodon typus) that have changed little over the last 60 million years, whale sharks are peaceful creatures, allowing divers to come close as they lazily strain plankton and other food during their annual stopover in Belize.

Belizeans press for land reform
The Belize Grassroots Youth Empowerment Association [BGYEA] and its social partners will be holding a national land reform rally on Tuesday at the steps of the National Assembly in Belmopan. The purpose of the rally is to highlight the need for increased transparency, efficiency and accountability in the management and distribution of national lands as well as to secure a commitment by the prime minister of Belize and the minister responsible for the distribution of land for their support for, as well as direct participation in a series of public consultations through which a national land reform policy can be developed and implemented. Among the reform objectives are the implementation of measures (1) to address the various forms of corruption that are said to have been allowed to thrive across successive governments; and (2) to promote poverty alleviation through first time land ownership drives and the implementation of incentives for small scale agricultural development. Various traditional and nontraditional options for civic participation are being made available to those who wish to support the initiative.

CREOLE BUN & Creole Bread
-2 lbs flour (4 cups) -1/2-3/4 lb brown sugar (1 cup) -2 tbsp instant yeast -2 tsp sugar 3/4 cup warm water 1 cup raisins (optional) -6 tbsp butter -2 tsp vanilla -1 tsp nutmeg -1 tsp cinnamon -1-1/2 cups coconut milk Set yeast in deep bowl. Put flour, sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon. Make a hole in the center. Melt butter, add milk and vanilla (warm slightly). Do not boil. Add yeast to warm milk. Add milk mixture to flour. Mix with a wooden spoon until it holds together, knead and put to rise. Knead again on a floured board. Cut into 6 pieces. Form into round balls. Flatten slightly. (Put in greased baking pan). Let rise until double in size.

VIDEO: The Belikin La Ruta Maya Belize River Challenge
Here is a little teaser for the upcoming 2013 Belikin La Ruta Maya Belize River Challenge. See you on the river!

National Youth Policy of Belize Launch
The National Youth Policy of Belize Launch is today, and the Department of Youth Services in Benque has a free bus to take people to the Bliss Centre to support it. "A bus is scheduled to leave Benque Viejo from in front of the 'marshallleck Cancha' on Wednesday February 27, 2013 at 7:15am. Transportation is free...for more information contact Jimmy Leslie @ 803-3027 or 633-5050 or visit your nearest DYS office in your area if not from Benque Viejo."

Homemade Coconut Milk
Most people know about coconut milk in the can, so Joe decided to teach us how coconut milk is made. Homemade coconut milk is free of additives and preservatives. This milk can be used to make breads, and rice and beans.

HOW TO set up your device for Digicell 4G services [VIDEO]
Digicell, Belize's top cellular service provider, have just released this new video on their Facebook page on How to set up your device for Digicell 4G services. Hope it helps you. UPDATE: If you are unable to play the video above, you might be having some problems with a plugin on your computer. You can also view the video at this link:

Fashion Street
Institute of Creative Arts (ICA) invited The Belize Trade and Investment Development Service (BELTRAIDE) in its participation at Fashion Street. The event was held downtown Belize City, on Albert & Dean Street, Saturday February 23, 2013, from 2:00 pm to 10:00 pm. A total of 1 booth (with dimensions 10'x 20') was endowed to BELTRAIDE. Fashion Street, directed at strengthening and supporting Creative Industries, showcasing live art, fashion and a wide selection of entertainment, gave artists the opportunity to showcase their talent and artwork to a crowd.

Channel 7

BGYEA Protest Small But Fiery and Full Of Foreboding
Today, the capital city hosted its second protest in a month. The teachers were first, UB students second, the UB Faculty third, and today it was BGYEA and other groups. Their issue is land distribution; they say it favours the rich and well connected. It's a complaint that can find resonance all across Belize, as so many people feel - many of them justifiably - that they have been excluded from the land distribution process. But, while it's a common cause not that many were prepared to take the day and take it to the streets of Belmopan today. Jules Vasquez was there to see the crowd: Jules Vasquez reporting The crowd of about 135 made the procession around Ring Road with drums, music, and placards. The main message Nigel Petillo, BGYEA "Land for the needy." Crowd "Land for the needy." Nigel Petillo, BGYEA "What do we want?" Crowd "Transparency." If you couldn't make it out, the call was "Land for the needy, not the greedy." That inequity in the land distribution system was the unifying force behind this demonstration:

Clearing the Land In Blackman Eddy
And today in Blackman Eddy village they put BGYEA's message into action: villagers marked an area of land, and started clearing it immediately. It's the Harmonyville model: designate a community parcel of land, occupy it, and then force authorities to catch up. Villagers started chopping this morning and when we visited this afternoon, they were still at it. Shirley Mai White, Candidate for Village Council, Blackman Eddy "Myself born Belizean 42 years old and don't have a land." Jules Vasquez reporting And she wasn't alone; many other villagers from Blackman Eddy shared her predicament. So, this morning they came here to this area at the back of the village. Shirley Mai White "I heard and know about this land but then I came and told them; I showed two persons. They want back and tell the others. News in Belize flies faster than the media. When I look this morning there was a heap of people here." Word is that 40 lots for villagers had been set aside here for distribution, but years passed and nothing happened. And so today, a group of over a hundred villagers took matters into their own hands, they started clearing the area:

Armed Police And BDF Guard Court For Mexican Accused
This morning, the Belize City courthouse was secured by heavily armed and masked police and BDF; they were preparing for the worse because 22 year old Mexican, Zurisaday Villasenor Mendez was brought to the Belize City Court for trial. You may recall his name: police say he was caught with an arsenal of weapons, cocaine, and marijuana at the Corozal Free Zone. That happened on on, 30 of 2012, when Corozal police raided 2 rooms at the Las Vegas Hotel in the Corozal Free Zone where they found 7 guns - which included AK-47's - 12 magazines, 144 bullets, several small quantities of marijuana, cocaine, and communication equipment. Mendez was suspected to be connected to all of these items, but in the end, he was only charged for the illegal items found in the room he was in. Those charges included 1 count of keeping an unlicensed firearm, 1 count of keeping unlicensed ammunition, 1 count of keeping a prohibited firearm, 1 count of keeping prohibited ammunition, possession of control drugs, and drug trafficking. For the past 3 months, He has been standing trial in the Corozal Magistrate's Court, with the Cayo Magistrate transferred from San Ignacio just to preside over the case.

11 Year Old Dies From Snakebite
Today, the standard five class at St. Edmond Campeon Roman Catholic School in Teakettle Village had one empty seat among its 31 students. That was for 11 year old Monique Moore, who was bitten by a snake on Sunday night - and died, 24 hours later, at 7:15 last night. Today we spoke to her family about the tragic loss:.. Jules Vasquez reporting 15 year old Amelisha Reyes and her 11 year old cousin Monique Moore were walking here on Young Gial Road in Teakettle on Sunday night. The streetlight isn't working. In the dark, the two girls joked about a drunken man on a bicycle and then suddenly: Amelisha Reyes, Cousin of Deceased "We went down the road laughing and when we reach she said see the dude there and then when I turn and watch I saw her kick her foot like this and then she pull back and I told her a snake and she said yes I know it bite me. I ask her where and she showed me the two bite marks. I took her sandals and I told her to hurry up so we can tell somebody. We cross the fence and when I was going in she held my hand and watches me and tells me that she feel dizzy. I told her that we soon reach and then she let go my hands and fainted right there and she got a seizure or something."

Man Remanded For Carnal Knowledge
22 year-old Marlon Dawson, a mechanic from Gardenia Village, is in jail tonight after he was brought to court today for allegedly having sexual relations with a 13 year-old female minor. The minor, accompanied by her father, visited the Human Services on last week Friday and reported that on December 14, 2012, Dawson had intercourse with her at a house in the village. As a result, police investigated the report, and they arrested and charged Dawson with carnal knowledge. He was arraigned today before Magistrate Dale Cayetano this afternoon, who could not offer him bail due to the nature of the offence.

Woman Sentenced For Drug Trafficking
31 year-old Elvia Dominguez, resident of Biscayne Village, is at prison tonight after she was convicted of drug trafficking today in the Magistrate's Court. In August of last year, at about 10:30 p.m., police were on mobile patrol in the Conch Shell Bay area, when they searched a taxi, with two occupants, Dominguez, and a male driver. The officers searched the taxi and the driver, but they didn't find anything illegal. However, when they searched Dominguez, they found a black bag which contained 112 grams - or 3.95 ounces - of cannabis inside her sling bag. She was arrested and charged with drug trafficking. Today in court, when Dominguez was given a chance to defend herself, she denied the allegations. She told the court that that on that day, she went to the Municipal Airstrip and heading back home, she caught a taxi. She said that another man caught the taxi earlier with her but he was dropped off in the Conch Bay area, a short while before police stopped and searched them. She told the Chief Magistrate Smith that all she knew that she had in her purse was a big butcher knife, but no marijuana, and she didn't know how it got in there.

Marijuana At Fresh Pond
33 year-old Andy Alford, a Fresh Pond Villager, is at prison tonight after he was taken to Magistrate's Court for marijuana possession. Police searched his home at Fresh Pond at around 4 p.m. yesterday, and they found 113.1 - or approximately 3.99 ounces - of weed inside a van which was parked in front of his house. He was arrested and charged with drug trafficking, and he was arraigned before Chief Magistrate Anne Marie Smith today. Due to the fact that he has several convictions for drug offences, and he is a parolee, Chief Magistrate Smith couldn't grant him bail, and he was remanded to prison until his next court date on April 19, 2013. He must serve the rest of his sentence for the drug trafficking conviction he was out on parole for.

Customs Shares Seizure With Other Law Enforcement Units
Last year on Christmas Eve, the customs department along with the Coast Guard and the Anti-Drug Unit seized an impressive array of equipment. It has been forfeited and today it was donated to the BDF and the Belize Coast Guard. 7news was at the handing over this afternoon. Gilbert Gordon - Public Relations - Customs "What happened yesterday is that the Belize Customs Department was donating $49,000 products that were confiscated when the Customs Department along with the Belize Coast Guard and the Anti-Drug Unit intercepted a vessel on the 23rd December last year in San Pedro. The goods were then forfeited and they find was around $92,000. The Department already collected $45,000. Being that the goods were forfeited, the department is now giving the items to the Belize Defence Force as well as the Belize Coast Guard." "What we did was an official certificate handing over to the Belize Defence Force as well as the Belize Coast Guard and the value of items that was handed over to the Belize Defence Force are valued at $12,000 and the Belize Coast Guard valued at $37,000." "The items that we have that we are handing over are dicing gears. For the Belize Defence Force we are handing over 4 units of dive suits, 4 units of dive jackets, 4 units of scuba compass, 10 sets maintenance kits and units of pressure kits and regulators and pressure gauge hose."

Dangriga Coastline In Jeopardy
Is Dangriga losing its coastline to erosion? That's the question we asked after we saw two pictures TAKEN IN FORNT OF THE SOCIAL SECURITY OFFICE: the first taken in July of 2012, and the second in January of this year. The difference is alarming in just five months - and now it is threatening to undermine a few coastal properties, We asked the mayor what's the cause and what can be done to fix it:.. Major H. Gilbert Swazo (Ret'd), Mayor, Dangriga "The coastal erosion is a relevant issue. We believe that it may be as a result of one; the mining that is happening up river. We believe that may be a contributing factor. We also believe that it may be attributed to climate change and there are other issues such as growing; for example the Dangriga Town Pier was improperly constructed, such that the normal tide action is not allowing the delta - first and foremost the mining up river is presenting the usual sand budget to go to the delta, so that the sand cannot be spread as it should be. Similarly when you put grow-in and they are not properly constructed - that also present the spread of the sand that is coming from those rivers. Those things in our humble opinion contribute to the erosion that is taking place."

Finally, Belize Cattle Make It Across Border For Legal Export
Finally, Belize has successfully exported a legal truckload of cattle to Mexico. In the 90's the BEEF trade thrived between the neighboring countries, but that was before mad cow and foot and mouth disease. Since then, the Mexicans, as part of NAFTA, were forced to enact strict standards for animal health, and it took Belize more than a decade to catch up. But, finally, we have and yesterday after some ominous delays, the Mexican Cattle Truck pulled into Blue Creek, all the inspections and paper work were taken care of, the shipment was sealed by BAHA, and then sent off to the northern border crossing. When it finally made it across a collective sigh was surely heard. As the cattle-men explain, it's an opportune time to get the trade going: Albert Reimer, Cattle owner "We've been working on this for a long time. It's finally coming to past we think, if we can get them across the border and we hope that this is the opening of a new business, enterprise that we are going to follow. We need more market and I think it's going to help the beef industry a lot. This has been a learning experience for us because we now see what the quality is and that they require and also the sanitation requirements that we have to meet and we have to learn to have product that's constant. I refer to as a box of Corn Flakes, when you buy you know what you get. That's what we need to do with our animals; they have to be the same quality, size, sanitation requirement every time."

Channel 5

Belizeans protesting for land; BGYEA on the Hill
An orderly and peaceful demonstration over a huge problem took place in Belmopan this morning. It was organized by the grassroots organization called BGYEA which for years has been agitating for titles for land at Harmonyville, a community on the George Price Highway.� Frustration at not being able to get their stake in the jewel, [...]

Mexican national's drug and ammo case moved to Supreme Court
The case against Mexican national, Zurisaday Villasenor Mendez first started last December in the Corozal Magistrate Court. Villasenor is charged for prohibited ammunition, kept firearm without a license and possession of cannabis and cocaine following a bust at the Las Vegas Casino in Corozal. The case has run into numerous legal challenges and today Villasenor [...]

Do you support NGO's machetes clearing the border?
With the Referendum now becoming a hot button issue, our last online poll question asked viewers if they support taking the Guatemalan claim to the ICJ? An overwhelming seventy percent voted no while thirty percent said yes. Turning to tonight's question: Do you support the Clearing of the Border project by the Belize Territorial Volunteers? [...]

Squatters clear land and face resistance
While a protest was taking place in Belmopan over unjust land distribution, not far away in Blackman Eddy, residents took the bull by the horn. They literally took over a plot of land designated years ago for village expansion and began clearing it after being given the run around by the Ministry of Natural Resources. [...]

Words of former P.M. on B.D.F. arrests along border in 2000
The Belize Territorial Volunteers will take at least one hundred machetes to clear a border line as part of a project called "Clearing the Border." The Guatemalans are apparently against the exercise and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had issued a statement regarding the danger of the exercise.� But organizers say scouts, volunteers from several [...]

Foreign Affairs says P.U.P. and U.D.P. leaders clarified maritime area
Foreign Minister Elrington also discussed the Maritime Areas Act.� On February eleventh, Minister Elrington said, "The only place I think there is room for some surprise would have to be in the sea area or perhaps in the insular area because those are not yet defined."� That comment triggered the wrath of former Foreign Minister [...]

Guatemala's Comision de Belice replaced
As we have reported, the Comision de Belice which was an arm of the Guatemalan Foreign Ministry established to monitor the Guatemalan dispute was dismantled late last week. The Foreign Minister, Fernando Carreras, said it was dissolving the agency because it had failed to advice the government in a timely fashion of the change to [...]

Teen sexually molested by someone known to her
In the north, a sixteen year old minor of Sarteneja Village reported to police that her step-father has been having sex with her against her will since the age of fifteen. And the most recent encounter, she alleges, was on February fourteenth. According to the minor, the sexual encounters would take place whenever her stepfather [...]

No southern charm, couples take disputes to court
Two couples in the south are heading to the courts to settle their domestic disputes.� Forty-three year old cook, Irene Arzu, of Punta Gorda Town reported to police that on Sunday night at ten thirty, she was physically assaulted by her common-law husband, Ivan Jones. Jones, she claimed, slapped her several times on the face, [...]

She claimed the butcher knife, but not the weed in bag
  A waitress of Biscayne Village was slapped with a stiff fine for drug trafficking of one hundred and twelve grams of cannabis which is a little over three ounces.� The incident occurred on August third 2012 when the taxi Elvia Dominguez was travelling in, was stopped by police.� Nothing incriminating was found inside the [...]

Small vendors moved because of Sustainable Tourism Programme
There is another problem between street vendors and the Belize City Council. Over the weekend vendors that were previously at ground zero were moved to the Battlefield Park because of the ongoing Sustainable Tourism Programme. As you would guess the vendors are not taking the move quietly for a number of reasons. Duane Moody found [...]

Customs Department's generous donation to B.D.F. and Coast Guard
The Customs Department this afternoon gifted a list of confiscated marine equipment to both the B.D.F. and the Coast Guard. The items were seized last Christmas Eve during an exercise that involved the three agencies. The list ranges from dive suits to scuba compasses, pressure hoses and maintenance kits. Duane Moody was present for the [...]

National Security donates 2 vehicles to police department
The B.D.F. and Coast Guard are not the only one who received generous donations. The Ministry of National Security on Monday also donated two Mahindra vehicles to the police department to assist in combating crime in the west and south. Minister of National Security, John Saldivar, handed over the vehicles to the Police Department; one [...]