The March 31st, 2013 issue of The STAR (Cayo) is online HERE

This Week's Stories:

• Zamir Guerra Makes Us All Proud:
    Santa Elena’s 16 year old Zamir Guerra of Cayo High Road Cycling Team shattered the record to be crowned the new Junior Cross Country Cycling champion of Belize. With 19 riders participating, the 14th Annual Junior Cross Country Cycling Classic got underway at 9:00 am on Sunday March 24, from the village of San Jose Succotz on the George Price Highway for the 72 mile ride to the finish line at Leslie’s Imports, mile one just outside Belize City. Guerra completed the race in three hours, 34 minutes and 38 seconds leaving the chase group a whopping 12 minutes behind and in the process crushing the record set six years ago by Byron Pope. Although he is young in age, Guerra has been riding for the past four years competing in other youth races. This is however, his first time in the Junior Cross Country Classic.
  • Roni Banos Crowned Best Reggaeton Artist in Belize:
    Good things have been happening in Santa Elena, Cayo: The reigning Cross Country Champion comes from Santa Elena; The current Junior Cross Country Champion hails from Santa Elena and the Reggaeton Superstar also comes….. you got that right ……..from Santa Elena. The circle would have been complete if only our Dream Marching Band would have been, last Saturday, crowned Band Fest be competed if we recapture the garland in this Holy Saturday’s Cross Country Classic. Santa Elena’s Reggaeton superstar Roni Banos has been crowned the 2013 Best Reggaeton Artist at the third annual Belize Music Awards held on Saturday, March 23, 2013 at the Bliss Center for the performing arts in Belize City.
  • Two Alleged Rapists Continue In Uniform:
    The news began spreading like wild fire on Sunday morning of the Saturday night brutal raping, by two policemen, of a woman from Bullet Tree Falls Village, Cayo. Given the implications of the grave betrayal of the public trust, we moved swiftly to check into this matter and found that such a report indeed existed. There was also the simultaneous indication of the attempt to cover up the allegation at the highest local level of the police in San Ignacio. The incident began at around 4:00 pm when a first report was received at the Bullet Tree substation which is manned by elements of the Special Patrol Unit on weekly and sometimes bi-weekly rotation mostly for the purposes of anti drugs and anti contraband activities from across the border in the Peten Area of Guatemala.
  • Left at the Altar…Again?:
    Contributed by: Karla Heusner. I don’t know about you, but there seems to be a real sense of deja-vu in the latest communication from the Guatemalan government regarding the long-standing territorial claim. Despite their previous bravado about being more than willing to take the issue to the International Court of Justice, it seems they are reverting—once more—to their previous pattern of stalling, postponing, and giving every excuse they can come up with to keep from participating in the agreed-to referendum in October. Yes, my friends, we have on our hands, once more, a runaway groom… The most recent proposals from the Guatemalans shared with us by the Honorable Wilfred Elrington, Minister of Foreign Affairs, have done little to improve my confidence in Guatemala’s good faith stance. As of this writing, their latest proposals ask Belize to change our referendum law to require a simple majority vote, and then they would agree to honor the agreement to hold the referenda simultaneously. Their second proposal is that they would wait and see if our people vote “Yes,” then they would hold their referendum.
  • Ambergris Caye Wins 2013 Tripadvisor Travelers’ Choice Islands Award:
    Ambergris Caye as the top recipient of the TripAdvisor® Travelers’ Choice® Islands awards. These awards honor top islands around the world, based entirely on the millions of valuable reviews and opinions from TripAdvisor travelers. In total, more than 100 winning islands were named across Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, Europe, South America, South Pacific and the U.S. Honourable Manuel Heredia, Minister of Tourism and Culture, said, “We are delighted that Ambergris Caye of Belize has been recognized as the world’s top island in the TripAdvisor Travelers’ Choice Islands awards. We would like to thank all the travelers who have made this win possible, simply by sharing their love of Ambergris Caye with the TripAdvisor travel community. We look forward to welcoming more visitors to our paradise this year and beyond.”
  • Leave The Rest To God:
    Submitted By: Ernestine Patnett. This is a beautiful and touching story of love and perseverance. Well worth the read. At the prodding of my friends I am writing this story. My name is Mildred Honor and I am a former elementary school music teacher from Des Moines, Iowa, USA. I have always supplemented my income by teaching piano lessons - something I have done for over 30 years. During those years I found that children have many levels of musical ability, and even though I have never had the pleasure of having a prodigy, I have taught some very talented students.
  • Belize Rejects Guatemalan Proposals:
    The Government of Belize, through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs today informed that after having reviewed the proposals by the Republic of Guatemala as presented in writing on 17th March, 2013 to Secretary General of the Organization of American States, Jose Miguel Insulza, for the parties to consider postponement of the referenda for an indefinite period or for Belize to proceed on its own to hold a referendum on the agreed date, has decided to reject the Guatemalan proposals in their entirety. The Government of Belize notes that tremendous efforts over many years and through successive administrations have been spent in finding a negotiated solution that would bring to a definitive end Guatemala’s unfounded claim to Belize, and that the failure of these attempts is what led to the signing of the Special Agreement by Belize, Guatemala and the OAS on 8th December, 2008.
  • Colombian Police Seize Cocaine Stashed In Bricks:
    Police in Colombia say they have seized half a tonne of cocaine hidden in a shipment of bricks. Officers said the drugs had a value of $1.7m (£1.1m) - and were intended for the US. The cocaine was found stashed inside the cargo in the Colombian port city of Cartagena. Police are investigating the construction firm behind the shipment, which they suspect was set up solely for the purpose of smuggling drugs. The shipment was destined for Honduras, from where police believe the cocaine would have been smuggled to the United States.
  • Mexico Uncovers Ancient Pelota Courts At Tajin Site:
    Archaeologists in Mexico say they have uncovered three ancient playing fields at a pre-Hispanic site in the eastern state of Veracruz. They found the courts, dating back some 1,000 years, at the Tajin World Heritage site by using laser scanners. They believe the fields would have been used to play pelota, a game in which players used their hips to propel a rubber ball through stone hoops. The sport was widely played by Mayan and other pre-Columbian people. Experts from the National Institute for Anthropology and History (INAH) said the use of aerial photography, remote sensors and laser scanners had made it possible to find the ancient structures, hidden by layers of soil and dense vegetation.
  • Tv Time 'Does Not Breed Badly Behaved Children':
    Spending hours watching TV or playing computer games each day does not harm young children's social development, say experts. The Medical Research Council (MRC) team who studied more than 11,000 primary school pupils says it is wrong to link bad behaviour to TV viewing. Although researchers found a small correlation between the two, they say other influences, such as parenting styles, most probably explain the link. But they still say "limit screen time". This cautionary advice is because spending lots of time in front of the TV every day might reduce how much time a child spends doing other important activities such as playing with friends and doing homework, they say.
  • STAR Humor
  • Your Weekly Horoscope and Lucky Numbers
  • Letters to the Editor
  • Public Notices