FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7 and Channel 5
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Letter to the Editor: Thank you from ACES
ACES/ American Crocodile Education Sanctuary ACES would like to thank The Belize Audubon Society (BAS) for coming to the rescue of an 9 1/2 ft problematic Morelet’s Crocodile in Crooked Tree last Friday. BAS immediately called ACES after capturing the croc before locals could kill it after the croc ate a local pet. ACES Volunteer, Evan Sims, responded and the croc is being monitored in a holding pen at ACES in Ladyville. After the tragic torturing of a croc last week in San Pedro, it is a great reward that locals helped to save a croc in another part of the country. Additionally, ACES applauds The Belize Forest Department, The Belize Tourism Police, Captain Mike of the ‘Thunderbolt’, Saga Humane Society and WildTracks for their critical roles in the expedited rescue of an illegally captive Yucatan Spider Monkey the morning of May 14th. Only by working together can we protect the species for future generations.

SPTC celebrates teachers and nurses
On Thursday night, teachers from the various schools on Ambergris Caye, along with the nurses from the Dr. Otto Rodriguez San Pedro PolyClinic II came together at the R. A. Nuñez Auditorium to be feted by the San Pedro Town Council (SPTC). In honor of Teachers’ Day and Nurses’ Week, a celebration is held to show appreciation for the hard working teachers and health care providers of our island. Speaking at the event was Minister of Tourism & Culture, Manuel Heredia Jr. He thanked all teachers for their contribution to society, molding the minds of the upcoming generations while also showing compassion, giving of their extra time in an effort to make a difference. Mayor Daniel Guerrero also spoke of the work of teachers, expounding on the merits of discipline. He called on all teachers to ensure that while teaching to ensure that discipline was a part of their daily curriculum. Guerrero asked that teachers help the community to ensure that “we do not lose a generation”, by speaking up, and showing children the right way.

Misc Belizean Sources

Pouring concrete the old-fashioned way: by bucket
A broken concrete pumper truck didn’t stop members of New Horizons from pouring concrete at the construction site of Trial Farm Government School May 15. Originally, a concrete pumper truck was scheduled to pour concrete into the stay-in-place concrete wall system the week prior. However, the electrical circuit of that truck burned up after pouring 68 cubic yards of concrete. The only truck available to finish the job was a concrete pumper truck with an inoperable hydraulic boom. The construction project required an additional 33 cubic yards of concrete to be poured in the walls in order to continue construction of the classrooms and keep the project on schedule. To finish the job, the New Horizons team would need to use a little bit of creativity and sweat equity to pour the concrete using the resources they had available. Many members of New Horizons volunteered to lend a hand to pour concrete by bucket to include members of the Belize Defence Force, the New Horizons construction team from Ladyville Technical High School, and the New Horizons support staff including members from the legal office, civil affairs, the tactical operations center and public affairs.

Fox Update at BWRC
The Belize Wildlife Referral Clinic has rehabed the fox they've been taking care of for a few weeks. He's got a healthy check up, and has gained a lot of weight. Good luck, Foxy. "Foxy has moved out of the rather busy clinic, into our first rehab enclosure in the private protected area across the street! A few pic to document..."

Bishop Martin Visits SIPL
Bishop O.P. Martin primary school had some storytelling sessions during Education Week, courtesy of the San Ignacio Public Library. "The classes of Infant 1 and 2; Standard 4 and 5 visited the SIPL as part of education week. Activities included a talk about the importance of libraries, how to handle a book and much more. They had a great library visit."

Sign: Help Us Keep La Isla Bonita Safe
This Crime Stoppers sign was created by Gecko Graphics and I used it on my large signs around town. CLICK HERE for a downloadable version, a 70kb PDF

CTV3

Orange Walkenos Speak Out On Destruction Of Maya Site
Since the destruction of the Maya Mound in Nuevo San Juan is the main topic of discussion to date, today we hit the streets of town an obtained the reaction of Orange Walkenos on the matter. Concerned Resident “Realmente es un caso que para mí no tiene ningún sentido en la cual hacerlo no, porque es el patrimonio del país y al mismo tiempo es una belleza de mostrar como país del mundo Maya y ahora como se destruyó es una vergüenza y no tiene precio porque ese patrimonio estuvo haya por anos.” Amada Balam – August Pine Ridge “A mi parece que no está bueno porque es algo arqueológico y ellos no tienen por qué destruirlo.” Seferino Flores – Concerned Resident “Pues como dicen golpe pegado ni dios lo quita ya está hecho. Pues en todo debe de hacer su trabajo y ser parejo no solo en la ruina pero en todo debe de hacer su trabajo la ley hacia se debe hacer pero si al él le aplican la ley y al otro no se lo aplican entonces no está bien Lorena Torres – Concerned Resident “Pues fue triste porque fue un trabajo de mucho tiempo de los Mayas haciéndolo de nuestros ancestros.” Magdalena- – Concerned Resident “No es correcto lo que hicieron porque es patrimonio y deben de cuidarlo y eso en todo trae beneficio para el país porque así los turistas pueden venir a ver y es algo que no se debe destruir y yo no digo que se deben de hacer con ellos.” Oscar– Concerned Resident “La reserve que Belice mantiene debería respetar porque es algo grande para el país, porque el puesto Belice es un puesto de turismo y lo que hicieron es una ignorancia.” Nichole Hamilton – Concerned Resident “I think that they should be criminally charge whose ever was responsible because that is part of our history and legacy an for the next generation what is left of the Maya ruin and it is very unfair for us who are particularly interested in our history and the archaeologist who are upcoming and the ones already here studying it.” As mentioned at the top of the newscast, investigation into the destruction is ongoing and charges are expected to be levied soon.

Incumbent Chairman Seeks Re-election
Last Sunday, the first phase of the Village Council Elections was held in the entire country of Belize. Here in the Orange Walk District, the United Democratic Party had a clean sweep in the villages of Trinidad, San Lazaro, and Trial Farm while in the village of Chan Pine Ridge, the village council was formed by a UDP Chairman, five UDP Councilors and one PUP Councilor. In the Corozal District, the race was more even-handed; the PUP had a clean sweep in the Corozal South East constituency which is considered to be the strong hold of the Hon. Florencio Marin Jr. Villages such as Ranchito, Calcutta, and San Joaquin all went blue. The villages of San Pedro, Cristo Rey, Yo Chen, and Carolina however, all went red. The second part of the village council elections will be held this Sunday May 19th, in the villages of San Pablo, Yo Creek, San Roman Rio Hondo, and Palmar here in the Orange Walk District. Today we when spoke to the incumbent Chairman of Palmar Village, Orlando Balam, who is now seeking re-election, he told us why he is the best person to serve his community. Orlando Balam, Chairman of Palmar Village “Yo creo que es algo muy importante yendo visitando a la gente de casa en casa, veo de que las personas tienen la confianza de que uno tengo la experiencia, por seis años he estado trabajando en la aldea, tres años lo he hecho como tesorero, tres años como alcalde y realmente han visto el interés, el tiempo que tengo para poder servir a la aldea bien y hacer lo que debo de hacer como alcalde. Creo que uno de las cosas que nos va a llevar y la gente han puesto esa confianza es la experiencia que tengo como chairman y han visto de que lucho para lograr lo poco que he logrado pero lo he logrado con la unidad de la aldea y eso es de adonde yo me baso y paso mi tiempo en demostrarle a la aldea de que ese es la única forma que nuestras aldea va a prosperar y que unidos podemos lograr mucho, hemos logrado abrir una oficina, hemos logrado comenzar con el waste management control, hemos empezado a trabajar con el Mayor que es algo muy importante que yo creo que la amistad con el vamos a poder lograr componer las calle.”

Grijalva Says His Company Should Be Fined
By now the name of Denny Grijalva is probably being mentioned in most households across Belize. But just in case you don’t know who we are talking about, which is highly unlikely since his name has been plastered all over the local and international media, he and his company, De Mar’s, are being pinpointed as the main perpetrators of the destruction of a 2,330 year old Maya Mound that lies in the middle of a cane field in Nuevo San Juan, Orange Walk. Grijalva has exonerated himself from all responsibility and has out rightly blamed his foreman Javier Nunez and the Chairman of Douglas Carlos Zetina for the demolishing of the Noh Mul Maya Site from which material was extracted to rehabilitate streets in the Village of Douglas. But today, in a twist of events, the Foreman of De Mar’s Stone Company, Javier Nunez, also washed his hands of all culpability and held Chairman Zetina responsible for the demolition of the Noh Mul complex. Here is what he told Love F.M. Javier Nunez- Foreman De Mar’s Stone Company “I would like to emphasize that this ruin has been broken from about fifteen years now and it has been done by the ministry of works and other private contractors so what you see on the TV that we did, we met that like that, I am not trying to justify what happened, people feel very proud about it and very good about it but it happened but there are other facts that people need to know. For example, when you go and do this types of jobs in the villages to service villages, the contractor has nearly any control over nearly anything but do the job, the village will take you where you will mine the material, they tell you where you will eat, and they run the whole show you just go and you know what to do. We took our equipment to Petrojam, the pit from Petrojam, the chairman of the village was not happy with that type of material and he steered the equipment to the ruin, personally we were not aware when this was happening then, so when we found out about it we stop the operation, personally, I did know at the point that the equipment was taken to this particular road to be specific.”

Week 24 Of 2012/2013 Crop Shows Increase In Sugar Production
Tonight our weekly crop review continues to show an increase in sugar production. To date one million thirty two thousand one hundred and twenty tons of cane has been milled by the factory, producing one hundred and twelve thousand seven hundred and thirty three tons of sugar. Here is our weekly crop review. Carmelita Perez - Reporting Week 24 of the 2012/2013 sugar cane crop season began on May 8th and ended on May 14th 2013. So far the factory has milled a total of one million thirty two thousand one hundred and twenty tons of cane. That’s sixty seven thousand and fifty three tons more compared to last year when nine hundred and sixty five thousand sixty seven tons of cane was milled during the 24 weeks of crop. For this week alone the factory milled thirty nine thousand seven hundred and four tons of cane. Taking a look at sugar production one hundred and twelve thousand seven hundred and thirty three tons of the sweetener has been produced so far. Compared to last year, its eight thousand eight hundred sixty six tons more when one hundred and three thousand eight hundred sixty seven tons of sugar was produced. This week’s sugar production stood at four thousand nine hundred fifty four tons.

Teacher Minerva Castillo Bestowed Pre-Primary Level Award
Last night the nation’s outstanding educators were honored for their history of long time service to the country’s children. The 2012 – 2013 Outstanding Teachers and School Leaders of the Year Award took place in Belize City and the Bliss Centre for the Performing Arts and as is customary a number of outstanding teachers, representing pre-primary, primary, Tertiary, the special Education Teacher, the Technical and Vocational Teacher and the School Leaders Awards were handed out. The selection process was not easy, as each district nominated four teachers to compete for the prestigious titles. From there, a special committee selected the best teachers from among the finalists. Tonight we are proud to note that among the awardees is a teacher from Orange Walk Town. Mrs. Minerva Castillo, from La Inmaculada R. C. School, was bestowed the Pre-Primary Level Award. Castillo is described as being an enthusiastic, dynamic and creative teacher when it comes to the delivery of her lessons. Apart from always being willing to assist her colleagues, she always encourages her students to do their best. As a humble person, Castillo has gained the respect and the admiration of her students and fellow colleagues. We were unable to speak with Castillo today since she is away on a trip celebrating Teachers Day. We will do our best to speak with her on Monday. Congratulations also go out to Teresita Canto of Buttonwood Bay Nazarene Belize District who received the Primary Level Award, Giovanni Pinelo from Mount Carmel High School in the Cayo District who was bestowed the Secondary Level Award, Cecilia Smith from Stella Maris in the Belize District who received the Special Education Teacher Award and Rene Allen from ITVET in the Belize District who was awarded the Technical Vocational Teacher Award. Silvaana Udz received the award for Tertiary Level while the award for the category one Pre-Primary and Primary Level was given to Carolyn Betson from Unity Presbyterian Primary School in the Belize District. And last but not least the Outstanding School Leader was bestowed to Brenda Armstrong from Wesley College in the Belize District.

Investigation On Destruction Of Noh Mul Continues
The investigation on the destruction of one of the temples in the more than 2000 year old Mayan Archaeological Site, Noh Mul, continues and today members of the Archaeological Department were in Orange Walk where they submitted their final report to the police officers who are heading the investigation in order to ensure that person or persons involved be prosecuted with the full extent of the law. The topic has caused mix emotions across the country and today the public’s outcry continues. Today we spoke to Orange Walk East Area Representative Honorable Dr. Marco Tulio Mendez, who shared his sentiments on the socially debated topic. Hon. Dr. Marco Tulio Mendez, Area Rep. O/W East “Bueno es una situación muy emocional lo que sucedió y claro uno se puede dejar por la frustración y por saber de qué han pisoteado una historia en nuestro país tan sagrada con tantos años de que tenía esta ruina y estamos hablando de casi 2000 mil años ya, el haberlo destruido de esta manera y traer estas maquinarias como para no importarle lo que es el significado en cuanto a nuestro ante pasado, en cuanto a nuestra historia, en cuanto a nuestra forma que hemos estado trascendiendo en la vida es algo imperdonable ya y realmente me da náuseas y frustrado por lo que hicieron.” Irvin Aragon – Repórter “Hemos escuchado muchas críticas en términos a lo que sucedió y mucha gente habla y dice que supuestamente la tierra que se estuvo escavando es la mejor tierra para hacer este tipo de trabajo de rellenar los caminos y aún más todavía unos llaman y dicen que el lugar no estuvo bien señalado entonces cuál es su reacción a esto para aqueas personas que dicen es un accidente, todos cometemos errores y veamos que esto no vuelva a suceder.” Hon. Dr. Marco Tulio Mendez, Area Rep. O/W East “Bueno como es la mejor tierra para hacer la calles entonces empecemos a derrumbar a Lamanai y a todos los templos más grandes y usemos esas tierras para rellenar esas calles es ridículo pues y es ridículo”

BHOC Celebrates International Museum Day
International Museum Day is a celebration held every year on or around May 18th. The event is coordinated by the International Council Of Museums with the aim of providing museums across the world with the opportunity to meet with the public and alert them as to the challenges that museums face. Yesterday the Banquitas House of Culture here in Orange Walk, joined hands with the rest of the world in celebration of International Museums Day celebrated under the theme “Memory Plus Creativity Equals Social Change”. Yvette Torres – coordinator of the Banquitas House of culture. “Today we are celebrating international museum day and we have focus today as an open day and with that we have a lecture which is based on the Caste War and it influence on Northern Belize and today we have visitors from the Trial Farm government school and they are going to be coming in for the whole day to visit and tour our museum whereby we have permanent exhibit which has our history or Orange Walk and what the museum has to offer, you know, the knowledge, the information, our history so this day we are creating an awareness of our existence and what we have to offer, what we are and the way forward.”

Caye Caulker Chronicles

Tracie Young for Councilor
I would like to take this opportunity to say that I, Tracie Nadine Young, have made the decision to run for this year’s village council election to hold a seat as one of the six councilors in office. This decision was made 10 years ago, unfortunately i was not ready to hold any position then as i was not as educated or informed on how to run an island. I now believe that this is the right time for me to take that step. I welcome any advise from my peers and anyone who has more knowledge on the processes in an election and running of the island. I do have a home, family and a personal life to attend to but Caye Caulker is my home. It is a priority and a privilage to serve this island and its people. I urge everyone to come out on June 16th and vote, vote for people who are willing to work for the betterment of the island and its people. We are made up of many cultures, colors, sizes, characters etc… and we need to learn to work together. I can have countless things to say about past and present councils but the fact remains i can only speak for myself. About how i am willing to fight for the island for the children for the people for what i believe in. I know that it is not an easy task but everything worth fighting for is never easy. And we learn from the past what is good and what can be made better. Vote for me, give me a chance to prove my intentions are pure.