The use of profanity is popular in almost every culture, in some more common than others. In Belize, cursing is part of everyday life, and bad words are used openly in conversations. Some swear words are harsher than others and are used specifically with the intention of offending someone, some are usually used only to "spice up" a conversation.

Let me introduce you to a few of the most common Belizean swear words, and since Kriol is an adaptation of English, you will notice that some are similar to the ones you are probably very familiar with. Or not.

Sleck

This is the kriol term for nasty. It also means indecent. This word can be used to insult someone or to joke around among friends.

• Get yu sleck rass fa round me.
  • Get your nasty self from near me.

In a conversation:

• Stap be sleck, yu fart stink.
  • Don’t fart around me, it stinks.

Gud fu notin

This is used to tell someone that they are worthless to you. It’s not unusual to hear a wife screaming this to their husband when they are arguing.

• Gud fu notin, cradle rabba.
  • You are worthless for cheating on me with a younger girl.

Tilly

This is the kriol term for penis and is used only to offend someone.

• Tilly head.
  • Dick head.
  • Yu crazy, da tilly yu want.
  • You’re crazy, you must want a dick.

Rass

This is the most popular Belizean bad word and is either used as an insult or as an intensifier.

• Stap yu rass.
  • Stop talking shit.

In a conversation:

• Rass, ih hot.
  • Damn, it’s hot.

Coco

This is the kriol term for vagina. It can be use regularly in a conversation or to insult someone.

• Yu stinkin coco gial.
  • Your pussy stinks.

In a conversation with a friend:

• Mek a tell yu sumting, Sandra coco nice.
  • Let me tell you something, Sandra has a nice pussy.

Poke

This is the same as Coco. It is most commonly used with youngsters.

• Yu Poke face, yu.
  • You have a Pussy face.

In a conversation:

• Madas, da gial gat wa fat poke.
  • Damn, she has a fat pussy.

Batty man

Batty means butt in kriol, therefore batty man translates to butt man. But it doesn’t mean you’re a guy who’s into girls with big butts. Batty man or batty buay is a term used for male homosexuals.

• Go weh, batty man.
  • Get away, gay.

Mada [#%!]

I’m guessing this should be easy to translate? It’s mother [#%!].

It can be used as an exclamation or to insult.

• Well mada rass.
  • OMG.
  • Yu mada [#%!] yu, wait mek ah beat yu rass.
  • Mother [#%!], I’ll beat your ass.

Sketel

This term is used to label girls that are promiscuous.

• Da gial da wa sketel.
  • She’s a slut.

Facey

Facey means being selfish but can also mean being disrespectful. It isn’t usually used as an insult but at times people get offended by it.

• Yu only facey, Mami seh mek we mi share di sweets.
  • Stop being selfish, mom said we would share the sweets.

On an end note, here’s something funny. If parents hear their kids cursing they shout the following at them: “Noh mek I hea yu di cuss, I wa buss yu rass and wash yu mouth with soap.” Haha

BelizeAdventure.ca