FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7 and Channel 5
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The latest Tia Chocolate column is ready for reading!!!
Peanut Brother & Jelly:
The other day, as I sat in the drudgery of deadlines and air conditioning (haha, just kidding, I do kinda like my job), my little brother came by for his usual homework help. He’s a twin, but they were separated in school, so I only see one at a time. It’s relief really, since when they are together, I can hardly handle their cuteness. Anyway, Kevin swings by with his best friend Ramses, who’s at least two heads shorter than him, but has a smile that is more of a beam - a bright, blinding light. I mean I practically swoon at his smile, it’s so wide and contagious; and his eyes sparkle with mischief, even when he’s just asking for help. Enamored of him, I asked him if I can adopt him as my little brother as well, and he nodded yes. So, now I have four brothers total. It’s really fun as I only see them occasionally, plus I’m their homework hero – so it’s love, love, love and more love all around.

The San Pedro Sun

Join us in celebrating the annual Lighted Boat Parade!
The San Pedro Holiday Lighted Boat Parade organization is in full swing in anticipation of Saturday December 7th, when gaily decorated and lighted boats will illuminate the sea. The San Pedro Business Association (SPBA) is actively seeking the support of the local business community to assist us in ensuring that this will be a successful, fun event that can be enjoyed by the many spectators on the island. We ask that any business that will benefit from the parade, or that enjoys the boat parade will consider making a donation. We are seeking gift certificates and cash awards as the prizes for the Best Boat, Most Creative Boat, Most Religious boat etc. receive prizes.

San Pedro Town celebrates 29 years… Happy Township Day!
San Pedro Town celebrated 29 years of being a municipality on November 27th. Two different events took place to commemorate the occasion. The first was an awards ceremony hosted on the beach at Ramon’s Village Resort on the night of Tuesday November 26th and the second was a students’ rally held on Wednesday November 27th at the San Pedro High School. Organized by the San Pedro Town Council, the first event was held to recognize people that have contributed to the growth of the island. Keynote speaker for the occasion was Manager of Ramon’s Village Resort Einer Gomez. In his remarks, Gomez said that the forefathers of the island had a dream and along with their dedication to the settlement, eventually led to the development of San Pedro Town, one of the best municipalities in the country. “But what is most rewarding is that our fathers embraced all that was instilled in them and made this community one of the most envied and respected throughout our country. Our fathers were the ones that paved the way for us to live better lives. The life we enjoy today. With their hard work and sweat they converted a community into a village.” Gomez said the native islanders have embraced what the island has turned out to be. “We have learned to adapt to grow not only as a Town but also as a tourist destination by protecting our environment and at the same time being proud of our past.” He highlighted that it is the togetherness and unity that makes San Pedro stand out from the rest of the country. “Time and time again, we have shown the world that our community is vibrant and alive. Ironically, it’s disasters like hurricanes, fires, sickness that brings out the San Pedranos in us to a fault! A fault that is contagious and admirable. In times of need, we are all one! This quality is not found anywhere and it is this quality that keeps us together. When one succeeds we all succeed.”

Ambergris Today

Preparations for SP Holiday Boat Parade in Full Swing
Since the inception of the San Pedro Holiday Lighted Boat Parade on Ambergris Caye seven years ago, residents and tourists have been looking forward to the special event that kicks off the holiday/tourist season on the island. Lights, sound and cheerful glee fill the night’s sky and everybody at Central Park, at home or at their special viewing spot has a great time. The San Pedro Holiday Lighted Boat Parade organization is in full swing and the San Pedro Business Association is actively seeking the support of the local business community to assist us in ensuring that this will be a successful, fun event that can be enjoyed by the many spectators on the island. Ambergris Today has always been an avid supporter and sponsor of this special event. Here is an update from the SPBA as they ask the community for their full support in order to make the Boat Parade a smashing success once again.

Misc Belizean Sources

In Our Own Words Video
We're in the middle of the 16 Days of Activism Against Gender Based Violence. A powerful video was released by the Special Envoy for Women and Children where they interviewed kids from all around Belize, some in Cayo, and asked them about the consequences of violence. In related news, tomorrow morning at the Cayo Welcome Center, the Ministry of Health is having an information fair as one of the activities for the 16 Days. It starts at 9:00am. "Violence affects everyone. In this video children and adolescents from across the country share their stories and feeling about violence in Belize. In their own words. Produced for the Special Envoy for Women & Children, National Committee on Families and Children (NCFC) and UNICEF."

News Exchange Magazine Issue 15
News Exchange Magazine has their Fall 2013 issue in stores. There are some cool articles; definitely worth picking up. Tons of exquisite pictures too, and the cover girl lives in Cayo. "News Exchange Magazine has their newest issue out. It has a little of everything Belize in it. From culture, to food, to fashion, and many of the great photgraphers have some nice shots in this issue. You can get a copy at Venus Records and Gifts in Cayo. We were able to track down the model from the front page, and had her sign a copy. Thanks, Asuncion Martinez! Danny Chung took the perfect cover photo."

Belize River Valley Expo
The Belize River Valley Eco Tourism and Commerce Expo, organized by the Community Baboon Sanctuary Women's Conservation Group, starts tomorrow. They'll have information booths from many different businesses and NGO's, and there will also be a county music competition. If you are interested, or would like more information, email them at [email protected] "Informational booth, funding agencies, conservation NGO's, Cultural activities, 1st ever local country music competition, plantation dance, kis-kis, fly brush making, rice and cohune beating. Also get local wine, local eggs, turkey, local chickens, organic vegetables, Christmas decorations, cohune oil, coconut oil, tablata, wangla and much more!"

Talla Walla Vibrations at Soul Project
Musical interlude of the day. Emmeth Young and the Talla Walla Vibrations rocked the Soul Project for Independence Day. Here's a short video that captures some of the amazing rythyms of the night. Tomorrow night is Friday, which means it's their Open Mic Night, so you can catch some great, free music along with awesome tacos and drinks. The Soul Project, Cayo's cultural hub, just released a handful of videos from their Open Mic Nights, and you can see them on their page. International artists like the World Culture Band and Keren Bein have played there multiple times. Tabby Johnson will be performing there on December 14th.

Three Regional Firms Win investor of the Year Awards
. The inaugural Regional Investor of the Year Award was held at the Radisson Fort George Hotel & Marina before a host of invited guests, including members of the private sector from Belize. The event, part of the 4th Annual General Assembly of the Caribbean Association of Investment Promotion Agencies (CAIPA), was held in recognition of the contribution of foreign and local investors to the Caribbean. Receiving the award for Foreign Investor of the Year was Qualfon Guyana Inc., a business process outsourcing and call center service provider based in Georgetown, Guyana. Vice President of Marketing and Product Management Brian Kearney accepted the award on behalf of Qualfon. The values-driven company, he said, is not just about business but also about a passion for improving the lives of people in the communities they serve. ARS Humano, a privately held health insurance company in the Dominican Republic, was awarded for both the Local and overall winner of the Regional Investor of the Year. Marketing and Corporate Development Vice President Diomares Musa, in accepting the awards, said she is honored that the work of ARS Humano over the past fourteen years is being acknowledged by the Caribbean Export Development Agency and CAIPA.

Mennonite Gurls A'ken Cook: Tater Cokunut Candy
Thishere can'y brings back minny a recolleckshuns o'yeers gone by. I wuz chattyun' wit my frien las week an' I knoe hern Mom an' mine made these can'y ever Christmus. I rilly enjoyet eatin thishere can'y togeth'r wit peenuts..I would ett a few shellet peenuts an' the I would take a bite o't' can'y. Can'y wuz a speshul treet an' so I tride ta make it las as long as I could. My Mom did nairy dip 'um n' chocolate, jes rollet 'um n' cokunut. I coultn’t find hern recipe so did t'bes o'whut I memberd an' wit t'hep o'my frien I must say thishere can'y tastes like I memberd. T' xtrey dark chocolate coatyun' helps balance t'sweetness o't' can'y. I uset tater flakes but I knoe my Mom did nairy have thems roun, she uset reglar mashet potatoes.

An Overview of Placencia Belize
Placencia Village, known more simply as Placencia, sits at the very tip of the narrow Placencia Peninsula in southern Belize. As a result, it feels more like an island. It’s just a few minutes walk from the lagoon side to the open Caribbean. Less than 500 people are lucky enough to be considered permanent residents of Placencia, Belize’s tranquil community. The majority are Creoles, and descendants of European settlers and African slaves. The Placencia Peninsula is sixteen miles long, home to two other communities: Seine Bight and Maya Beach, The name “Placencia” is actually a distortion of Punta Placentia, the name the Spaniards gave to the peninsula in the 1800s. In English, it means Point Pleasant. It’s not surprising. Placencia’s beaches are often declared the very best on mainland Belize. The village’s tourism association calls them “Barefoot Perfect”. But that designation fits the rest of the town as well. There are no paved roads in Placencia Village, merely a series of pathways for foot traffic. Main Street is a just a sidewalk! However, a number of luxury resorts have sprung up along the peninsula, adding a little more rush to the Placencia lifestyle.

Explore the Rio Frio Cave
The Rio Frio Cave is one of the most remarkable attractions in the Mountain Pine Ridge Nature Reserve. Everything is gigantic in this cave! When you enter, you will see huge stalactites hanging from the massive cathedral-like vault which was part of a cave system that the Maya used to bury their dead. Room size boulders are strewn throughout the cave and a stream flows through forming pools with cascading falls. Here is a video that provides an overview of Rio Frio Cave:

Dance X BZ 2013
Latino Dance Mix from Corozal - performing Saturday night, November 30th 8:00 PM... Bliss Centre Belize City. The Corozal Daily wishes them a huge success!

WANTED BY COROZAL POLICE
Alex Reid and Kevin Manzanero. Both persons are wanted by Corozal, Belize City and San Ignacio Police in connection with a number of robberies. They are considered armed and dangerous. If seen please contact the nearest Police station or Crime stoppers at 922 TIPS.

The Corozal Town Council has embarked on a street repair program
Patching all those streets leading to various Primary Schools in order to alleviate their current conditions. Below is the San Andres road leading to Mary Hill Primary School that was being graded. Other streets that have been patched are 5th Avenue and currently, works are being carried out on 1st Avenue in front of St. Francis Xavier Primary School and the southern entrance on 1st Avenue. Works will continue and we will bring you further updates as they progress.

Consejo Road Disaster Task Force writes letter of complaint against Mayor Hilberto Campos on bio-hazard threat at the Consejo road Dump site
NOTICE OF BREACH OF RESPONSIBILITY OF DUTY BY MR. CAMPOS, MAYOR FOR COROZAL TOWN Greetings Ms. Candelaria Saldivar Morter, It is with our sincerest regret that we are providing your office this letter of NOTICE OF BREACH OF RESPONSIBILITY OF DUTY BY MR. CAMPOS, MAYOR FOR COROZAL TOWN. It is the overwhelming consensus of the members of the recently organized Consejo Road Disaster Task Force, that Mr. Hilberto Campos, Mayor of Corozal Town, is blatantly guilty of flagrantly violating his oath of office. Mr. Campos' repeated acts of negligence are absolutely unacceptable. He has deliberately disregarded an organized group's initiative of residents of Consejo Community who are being pro-active and have already chosen to freely volunteer to donate money, labour and other necessary resources in an effort to assist local government in bringing about solutions to the current highly toxic Corozal Waste dump site bio hazard. Mr. Campos has knowingly committed an obvious breach of his responsibility by disregarding his clear duty as a municipal leader; as he has deliberately neglected to act responsibly in a matter vital to progress, due to the people of the Corozal Town and Consejo community.

Channel 7

PUP: “Run The Recall”
Eight weeks after their leader gave an ultimatum - the PUP today formally triggered a recall effort against UDP Cayo Northeast representative Elvin Penner. At 10:00 this morning Deputy Leader Julius Espat and Cayo Northeast Caretaker Orlando Habet, along with their recall team, presented 2003 signatures to the Governor General in Belmopan. They've been criticized for taking too long to hand in the signatures, but now the process begins in earnest. The Elections and Boundaries Office will now start the reconciliation process to determine if the PUP has met the 30% threshold for the writ of referendum to be issued. Today, Espat and Habet told the media that the 2 month collection and vetting process was important to ensure that the next step can be taken. As a result, they are confident that the threshold has been met: Orlando Habet, Cayo Northeast "Today we called it D-Day for delivery of the signatures for the recall against Elvin Penner. We commenced this collection of signatures on the 3rd of October and we did almost exactly a month of signature collection and after that we did vetting of the signatures at our office with our committee."

Opposition Leader Calls PM’s Visa Flip-Flop “Disgraceful”
And after the petition was submitted this morning in Belmopan, in the afternoon back at party headquarters in Belize City, Leader of the Opposition, Francis Fonseca, held a 45 minute press briefing where he spoke on matters of public interest. Foremost among those was the impasse in the sugar industry where BSI and the Cane Farmers can't agree on what price, if any, should be paid for bagasse. Yesterday, the Prime Minister announced the official government position, which is that bagasse has a value and the farmers should be paid for it. But he stressed that they shouldn't hold the industry hostage by refusing the deliver cane. And what does Francis Fonseca say? Pretty much the same thing: that farmers should not protest by delaying the start of the season, But he criticized the Government for not getting both parties to the negotiating table: Hon. Francis Fonseca, Leader of the Opposition "Certainly the Prime Minister's intervention yesterday we view as being woefully inadequate. This is a very serious matter. It is not a political matter. It is a national issue which requires leadership and it requires immediate intervention. We cannot allow one single more day to pass without resolving this issue. It is going to affect the entire country of Belize. It is going to affect the entire economy of this country. We can't allow this issue to fester any longer."

Family Says Ladyville Cops Didn’t Have To Kill 22 Year Old
Today, Ladyville police are gathering key witnesses who they say can attest to the fact that 22 year old Travis McKay fired on police before they returned fire and killed him. Police also have the weapon he carried with three expended shells. But, despite all that, Travis McKay's family is not satisfied that their loved one had to be killed. Today, they spoke with me in Ladyville: Monica Bodden reporting This is where the shooting happened at 3:40 yesterday afternoon - just one block away from the Ladyville Police Station. The usually quiet neighborhood looked on in stunned, shaken disbelief as the scenes of crime team searched for expended shells and combed the entire area for additional evidence. The victim - 22 year old Travis McKay lay dead inside this yard - with a gunshot wound the chest area and some say one to the head. His body was then covered in a white sheet and put behind the pan of this police pick-up truck.

Grandmother And 12 Year Old Couldn’t Put Out Fire
A Belize City family was burnt out last night. It happened around 9:00 on Faber's Road, where a 12 year old was at home with his 89 year old grandmother and four younger nieces and nephews. That's when a candle started a fire, which the grandmother and pre-teen could not put out. The boy's mother who was nearby but not at home told us in an off camera interview that she rushed home only to find that all had been lost:.. Voice of: Irma Crawford, resident of house that was burnt down "When I reach there I ask where my mother and my kids are and I was told that they were at the long barracks step." Geovanni Brackett, reporter "It appears that the fire may have started in a room, particularly from a candle or something?" Voice of: Irma Crawford, resident of house that was burnt down "Yes it started in my mother's room and then it just spread. She says that she and my son was trying to put out the fire but the water that they had was too little, so my son took out my mother and the 4 year old and took them downstairs and he went up for the rest. After that he says he doesn't know what happen. He says that he saw the house in flames."

Man Says Minister Chanced Him Out Of Leased Land
You already know all about about UDP area reps, Elvin Penner from Cayo Northeast, and Edmund "Clear the Land" Castro from Belize Rural North, who are under public pressure. Well, tonight, the UDP's Corozal Bay Area Rep. Pablo Marin is the one who has questions to answer. Corozal resident Lennox Garbutt Sr., claims that Marin used his influence as an Area Representative and a Cabinet Minister to have Garbutt's lease to a piece of land cancelled and then transferred to Marin's sister, Ada Luz Romero. That land is lot #73 on the Consejo Road, and Garbutt claims that this cancellation was done without his knowledge, and that he couldn't make a case to the Lands Department to show how he has kept up his end of the lease requirements. Yesterday evening, he came from Corozal, where he explained the full story. Here's what Garbutt had to say: Lennox Garbutt Sr. - Claims Land Was Unfairly Taken Away "I was isssued this parcel of land on November 30th 2011. All through I paid my annual tax which is $60 per year and finished paid $120 on the 13th September 2013."

Mayor Bradley Stonewalls On Freetown
As we rpeot4ed earlier this week Lee Mark Chang has stepped down in the Freetown Division - clearing the way for a new candidate. Many are pushing for Mayor Darrell Bradley to take his eyes off Caribbean Shores and focus instead on Freetown. We're told the PM even announced to Cabinet on Tuesday that he and the Mayor had agreed to that. But, when we spoke to Mayor Bradley yesterday, he didn't want to discuss it:.. Jules Vasquez "We know that Lee Mark Chang has vacated his caretaker seat in Freetown. We know the Party has been prodding you for some time to offer yourself in Freetown. What is the outlook?" Mayor Darrell Bradley "The situation right now is really not focused on any general elections matter. The Mayor and his office is really keeping maximum focused and attention and at this present moment I am not really looking at that."

City Council Launches Emergency Repairs
But before he offers himself for any political office - mayor included - Bradley has to rehabilitate his image, which, right now, means rehabilitating streets that have fallen to ruin with the last month of rains. Today the City announced that major works will start on two high volume traffic areas. The work will block or partially block two major access ways into the city:.. Kenny Morgan, Public Relations - Belize City Council "One of the two major arteries in the city will be interrupted; one being our present location at the corner of Partridge Street and the George Price Highway. The entire section between the Lord Ridge Cemetery; from Partridge Street to its junction with Vernon Street will be worked on commencing tomorrow morning at 10am. Because of the works that will be carried on of course we will have to do some traffic diversion. I take this opportunity to inform the public of the altering routes that will be provided. At this time we are looking at for entry and exit from the city we are looking at utilizing Western Avenue and Mahogany streets and this will be for the larger vehicles; goods trucks, delivery vehicles and trailers. We will be asking these drivers to utilize the Western Avenue/Mahogany Street route."

What’s Up With Pen Road?
Another area that's in a mess is Neal's Pen Road, which was just paved this year. The work was obviously inferior and after the rains, the street looks just as pot holed as any 10-year-old street. The road was paved under the southside poverty alleviation project and we asked the man behind that project, Boots Martinez, who is also the area representative, what went wrong:.. Hon. Anthony "Boots" Martinez "We believe that the heavy downfall of the rains, but that is not no instrument for making excuses. The contractor must go back and do what is necessary because we have a guarantee period and as I understand it the Ministry of Works have contacted the contractor to repair or make the necessary adjustment to the street." Jules Vasquez "I would look at that street as the materials were maybe inferior, the compaction was maybe inferior and the works itself maybe chip and seal need two layers, maybe it never had the proper two layers. That looks like an inferior job to me."

Interesting New Names For UDP Convention Races
Earlier we showed you Mayor Darrell Bradley stonewalling the media on whether he was interested in offering himself for the Freetown division. Well, while he's playing cagey, some newcomers are not! Tomorrow is the deadline for those wanting to submit their names as candidates for UDP conventions. And, reports reaching us are that some interesting names have been, or will be put into the mix. Second in command of the police department, Deputy Commissioner Elodio Aragon today confirmed to us that he will offer himself as a candidate for the Orange Walk East constituency. But to do that, the 18 year veteran of the police department will have to step down from his post and retire. He told us he is in the process of arranging an orderly departure and plans to formally launch his candidacy on December 15th. Aragon's father, Elodio Sr. was a three time UDP representative in Orange Walk East.

Major Programme To Focus On Youths In 4 Southside Communities
An ambitious new programme was launched today. It's called the "Youth and Community Transformation", or YCT Project. The 15 million dollars CDB funded initiative will directly address the needs of youth on the southside of Belize City. That was outlined at this morning's launch:.. The target communities are Port Loyola, Lake Independence, Pickstock and Collett. The money will be disbursed on the construction/rehabilitation of critical community infrastructure including a new resource centre in the Lake Independence area called the Lake Independence Resource Centre and the upgrading of the Wilton-Cumberbatch playing field.

First off, tonight's profile is anonymous. Due to the sensitive nature of the revelations, the subject's face and voice have been masked. It's about an anonymous female high school student who was adopted and in a quest to get to know her birth mom, she ended up being raped. She started cutting herself in an attempt to deal with her pain but when she almost lost her life she ended up turning to music and refocussed on a positive future. The profile was produced in conjunction with WIN Belize which approached us to feature relevant stories during the 16 Days of Activism to end violence against girls and women.

Woman Indicted For Murder of Her Baby’s Father
26 year-old Calaney Flowers, the woman who is accused of purposefully running over her baby's father 29 year-old Lyndon Morrison, and killing him, will stand trial for it in the Supreme Court. Her preliminary inquiry was held today before Chief Magistrate Ann Marie Smith, where the prosecution tendered all the evidence that they intend to use against her in the trial, which included more than 20 witness statements. After reading the statements from 26 year-old Sochyl Sosa, Morrison's girlfriend who was with him and got injured in that accident, as well as the one from Morrison's mother, Chief Magistrate Smith found that the accused must stand trial in the Supreme Court. Her case was committed for trial for the April 2014 session.

A Vegetable Stall across the Canal?
Yesterday CISCO construction created a stir when the company moved into the Collet Canal area in front of the Michael Finnegan Market and installed an unusual prefabricated concrete structure across the canal. Some thought it was another fish market, but Cisco Woods explains that it's only a new way to utilize dead space:.. Cisco Woods "Actually it's a donation that we did towards the city. It's really business; it's a market that goes over the canal. If you notice this is a busy spot on Saturday morning, they actually block-off the street so that vendors can lay out their products and sell it. We made the recommendation to the Mayor to put something across the canal where really it's just wasted space and get the vendors off the street onto that for different stuff; selling clothes, vegetables, you could sell anything off of it." "It will give enough space for either two or four vendors, depending on how the city wants to divide it up and how they will charge. It's an opportunity to hold vendors that are on the street right now to be able to be in a very neat and controlled area and very sanitary as well. It would be nice to get all the food stuff off the street getting it on to proper shelf, so it's away from the dirt."

Dance On, Dance X
It's the 5th annual Dance X Festival - which is hosted yearly by the Institute of Create Arts. Over the years it has become something Belizean dancers from across the country look forward to attending. It's not only about showcasing dance to the public, but also creating an atmosphere where dancers have an exchange with each other. Also the event features a line-up of international professional dancers and dance instructors facilitating workshops at the BLISS. One of those is our very own Jamie Thompson from the Dallas Black Dance Theatre - one of the oldest Dance Companies in the US. Today we stopped by the Bliss to find out more about what's happening. A hundred and twenty five dancers will be participating in the event.

Late Evening Accident
There was a fatal traffic accident about an hour before news time tonight. It happened just outside of Belmopan near Art Box and it involved a government vehicle, and another pickup truck. Reports to 7News at this time are that it has resulted in a fatality. One of the first responders, Phillip Willoughby, Belize City Councillor with responsibility for Emergency Management, told us that he was driving on the highway when he saw the Government vehicle, which had 5 passengers in it slam head on into a green pickup. The 5 people inside the vehicle suffered head and body injuries, and had to be transported to the Belmopan Hospital, where one government worker passed away. The other injured passengers will be transferred to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital. We'll have more on this story in tomorrow's newscast.

Channel 5

Breaking News: one dies in traffic accident in the Capital
There is breaking news tonight. At about five-thirty this evening, a government vehicle collided into an SUV near the entrance to the hector Silva Airstrip in Belmopan. What we have [...]

PUP turns in signature to trigger recall
On October fifth the People’s United Party launched a campaign to collect signatures on a petition to recall Elvin Penner. The move came just weeks after news broke of the [...]

The paper trail on the visa hustle involving UDP ministers
At a press conference on Wednesday, Prime Minister Dean Barrow scoffed at the evidence proving that Minister of State Edmond Castro is engaged in the large-scale procuring of visas for [...]

Francis Fonseca says Barrow’s defense of Castro is disgraceful
On Wednesday, Prime Minister Dean Barrow spoke on a variety of issues at a press conference in Belize City, and today P.U.P. leader, Francis Fonseca, did the same. Fonseca touched [...]

And says immigration bill is all glitter and no substance
Minister of Immigration, Godwin Hulse, has proposed three new pieces of legislation which, if passed into law, will have the Immigration Department running like, in his words, a well-oiled machine. [...]

Police confirm they shot and killed Travis McKay
Police are saying tonight that Ladyville resident, Travis McKay, was shot and killed in a cross fire, but family members who witnessed the shooting vehemently contradict the police version. Wednesday’s [...]

Caribbean Financial Action Task Force blacklists Belize; is banking sector in jeopardy
As you know by now, the European Union has blacklisted Belize for not doing enough to curb illegal fishing. That is bad, but even worse is the news of the [...]

Opposition says it fully supports the farmers; even to strike
Back to the press conference hosted by the Opposition. Prime Minister Barrow on Wednesday went on record to give government’s full support to the stance of the cañeros that they [...]

UB Faculty and Staff Association concerned about state of affairs of university
UB President Doctor Cary Fraser remains on leave tonight amid the turmoil that has ensued since his announcement of impending departure.  While Prime Minister Barrow has gone on record to [...]

CTV3

Residents Of Guadalupe Street Take Up Plan of Action to Fix Their Street
If we were asked to select one infrastructural problem that the Orange Walk Town Council has been addressing since they took office back in March of 2012, we would have to say streets. At the same time, we have to recognize that Orange Walkenos are gravely concerned about the conditions the streets are in despite the council’s constant efforts to have them upgraded. The good news is though, that residents and business owners of one particular street have come up with a plan of action that could see the complete facelift of the street they live on. Today Mayor of Orange Walk Kevin Bernard spoke to us about the initiative which could see the adoption of Guadalupe Street. “Las week or weed and a half ago I had a meeting with members of the business community of that street Mr. Salas, Mr. Mendoza from CGI, Mr. Rempel and also representatives from the Cane Farmers Association came to meet with me and we discussed the proposal they would want to see Guadalupe street improve and how they as business persons can assist in the development on that street through the taxes that contribute and also through contributions by the business community in that area. In extension, the proposal then lead us approach the residence of that area, those residence that live on that area we want to see how they can and the commitment that the council would have been to ensure that the taxes that are collected from that street goes into a special fund so last night meeting was basically to throw out the idea to the residence and I want to thank all those who attended and I think it was very receptive, it was a very positive meeting and we should be having another meeting on the 9th of December.”

Elvin Penners Recall In Full Swing
Today the People’s United Party held a press conference in Belize City at the Party’s headquarters. A number of issues were discussed; of course, among them was the P.M press conference. In a solo presentation, leader of the People’s United Party, Francis Fonseca, weighed in on 7 issues that were discussed yesterday by the Honorable Dean Barrow. Fonseca kicked off by giving an update on the recall referendum for the Cayo North East constituency. “Our standard bearer for Cayo North East, Mr. Landy Habet along with our deputy party leader for the west honorable Julius Espat secretary general and other members of the Cayo North East committee PUP committee and community presented to the Governor General today the petition for the recall referendum this morning in Belmopan. As you know the 30% threshold requirement calls for about just under 1800 signatures are necessary to meet that 30% threshold necessary and this morning we delivered to the Governor General His Excellency the Governor General I think 2003 signatures attached to that petition so we expect now that the Governor General in accordance with the law the Governor General will now forward that petitions and those signatures to the chief elections officer at the elections and boundaries commission and the election and boundaries office will have a maximum, a period of one month to vet those signatures and to approve those signatures.”

Orange Walk Gets Smallest Share Of GOB's Million Dollar Road Infrastructure Program
The Prime Minister’s Press Conference yesterday was loaded with promises on behalf of his government to the people of Belize. Among them is a 76.72 Million Dollar National Road Infrastructure Programme funded under the Petro Caribe agreement with Venezuela. Included in the programme is 10.25 million for the Corozal District, 15.61 million for the Toledo District and 6.34 million for the Cayo District. Notably though, out of all the districts, Orange Walk Is getting the smallest share of the pie as Government has allocated a mere 2.92 million for the entire district. Now, the news did not sit too well with many Orange Walkenos and with the Orange Walk Town Council who has constantly been lobbying with Government for financial assistant to upgrade the streets across town. Kevin Bernard- Mayor Orange Walk Town “When I spoke to the CEO on Tuesday in Belmopan he clearly said to me when I ask them what are they going to do about the Main road meaning between mile 53 and 55 that runs through our town he said they don’t have the budget for it but they have been given an approval for them to fix certain areas of the Belize/Corozal road that have been damaged and these are sections like coming after the UNO gas station, in front of Sabor Cosina and I understand just before the traffic light here by fire station and then also by Cheetos and a little down on Otro Benque road those are the areas that they are going to be fixing which he told me it is a little bit over three hundred to four hundred thousand that is being allocated for that, I understand that some slight work is going to be done on San Antonio road but is not going to be paved majorities of these monies are going into some of these areas like San Estevan road and these areas that needs attention, and so when I look at that it is very, very eye opening to see that we in the north that have one of the biggest industry the sugar cane industry we have a lot of farmers who travel through our roads and even though many use the by-pass but if they are looking at the by-pass itself the by-pass also needs some attention because if they leave that road unattended it will also deteriorate but we have some very serious concern I mean if the Prime Minister and the Deputy Prime Minister is very serious in developing Orange Walk district they need to start to focus their attention as well to the town.”

Radio Announcer Accused of Rape
Tonight 37 year old Michael Martinez, a radio announcer from the Corozal District is facing the long arms of the law after he was accused of rape. According to an 18 year old woman, around 9:30pm on November 20th, she went to Martinez’s work located in the Rainbow Town area of Corozal Town to talk to him. The woman stated to police that Martinez had promised to give her some answers to questions that he would ask on a giveaway program in order for her to win a cellular phone. Reports are that when the 18 year old arrived at the radio station, instead of giving her the answers, Martinez pushed her into a room located at the back of the building and had sexual intercourse with her against her will.

Agriculture Sector Experiences Millions Of Dollars In Loses Due To Flooding
Yesterday government announced immediate remedial road improvements along with larger scale major road rehabilitations across the country. In addition to that, Prime Minister Dean Barrow announced that the government will also be providing financial assistance to the agriculture sector after receiving a preliminary report of damages to other crop. According to the report, farmers, including those in the north, have lost millions of dollars as a result of the recent inclement weather. Honorable Dean Barrow- Prime Minister of Belize “Latest preliminary report we are looking in terms of crop damaged at people suffering in Cayo, Belize, Orange Walk, Corozal a total of $2,634,600.00 by way of losses and we are talking about soy beans, 800 acres having been destroy 350 acres of corn, having been destroyed 50% of vegetable farmers affected an if the weather persists all the vegetable farmers will be affected.”