More News: Scroll up from here

LOVE FM

Angelita Campbell Speaks About Inflation Rate For October
The Statistical Institute of Belize today released its latest figures including the inflation rate for the month of October which remained unchanged from the previous month which recorded a 0.7% inflation rate. According to Statistician, Angelita Campbell, the consumer price index rose slightly in comparison to last October, from 102.9 to 103.6. ANGELITA CAMPBELL "The annual change of the CPI for the month of October stands at 0.7 percent which means that on average the prices are 0.7 percent higher than that of last October. The average rate of inflation from January to October is at 1.3 percent and there was relatively no change in the price in the TPI in respective to the previous month which is the month of September. The diagram here represents the index for all the food items index as well as the fuel index. If you will look specifically at the oil index which is in blue, we are moving from 102.9 to 103.6 which would correlate with an increase. The all food index shows a decrease from 108.6 to 107.3 and the fuel index also reflects a decrease from 111.5 to 108.5 and that will be explained later on. Higher prices were experienced in the transport category of 0.5 percent and that can be explained by an increase in driver's licenses which was offset by a decrease in fuel prices. The housing, water, electricity, gas and other fuels went up by 1.5 percent and that can be attributed to an increase in rent of 2 percent."

Taiwanese Ambassador Promotes Opportunities for Alumni
The Embassy on the Republic of China on Taiwan hosted a briefing this morning at the Chateau Caribbean where the focus was on the employment opportunities available in Belize following their studies in Taiwan. The morning event had several presentations made focusing on entrepreneurship, business development and accessibility of finances as well as the emerging industries in Belize. One of the speakers this morning was Minister of Foreign Affairs, Wilfred Elrington, who painted quite a dismal picture of Belize, its environment when it comes to attracting foreign investments and the high number of single and uneducated mothers.

CEO Alpuche Responds to Mother’s Complaint of Abuse
It was almost ten days ago when we brought to you the story of a mother, who has claimed that her child was abused and injured whilst in the care of a privately run children's home in the Belize District. The story was a disturbing one as relayed to us back then by the mother and the child with claims of physical abuse and rough manual labor. At the time, we had made attempts to get feedback from the Department of Human Services and while those efforts didn't pan out at the time, Love News did meet up with the Chief Executive Officer in the Ministry of Human Development, Judith Alpuche, who told us that an investigation into the matter was launched and that the case is far more complicated than was relayed to us by the child's mother, Devaun Cacho.

A Report on Status of Prisoners Inside Kolbe
As of July 2013, the Belize Central Prison's population stood at 1,586. Of that figure 37 are females77 are young men and there is one man in there that has been sentenced to death. The prison also holds more than five hundred prisoners on remand from either the Supreme Court or the Magistrate Court. HIPOLITO NOVELO "A study, called "Behind the Prison Gates" was made reality through the efforts of the Death Penalty Project and the Bar Association of Belize. The study was conducted by Joseph Middleton who visited the prison between July and August 2013. What he found was alarming." JOSEPH MIDDLETON "We have together with lawyers from Belize some of whom are here today worked to identify miscarriages of justice ad through work with both prisoners and the prison. We have higlighted significant failures in the criminal justice system leading to what we would call fundamental human rights violations."

Cayo Resident Waits For Justice in Case of Police Brutality
Five months ago, a Belizean man made a report of police brutality to the Belmopan Police Department after he was allegedly assaulted on June 19, 2014 in San Ignacio, Cayo by two police officers. 40-year-old, Ernesto Chan who works as a taxi driver in San Ignacio spoke to Love News today and said he is still awaiting justice. ERNESTO CHAN "This is the second time I am here and the reason I am here is because I believe in justice and I believe in fair in the law. I reported police brutality in San Ignacio and so far nothing has been done. I haven't gotten an answer about what happened. The commissioner stated that there will not be tolerating officers in police brutality or officers being corrupted. Sgt. Octaviano Victorin and Corporal Rudolph Rodrigues, they brutally battered me up. They are the ones who assaulted me, they chased me and I have witness that saw everything that happened to me when these officers were beating me up.

US Energy Gives to Claver College in Southern Belize
Two computers handed over to Claver College Extension in Punta Gorda was a timely donation. Correspondent Paul Mahung reports. PAUL MAHUNG "The computers were donated by US Capital energy in Toledo and were officially handed over on Monday afternoon Clavier College extension institution by US Capital energy Country Representative Allister King." ALLISTER KING "Mr. Floyd Lino and Mr. Andre Price who is the head of the Clavier College extension told us that their computers had been stolen from the school and they were badly in need of replacement so I got a hold of Mr.Ben Juarez who is US Capital's computer man and he immediately expedited these two computers down to replace the stolen ones. So I'd like to thank Ben Juarez for his quick action on this as well."

DPP Orders That Hendy Be Set Free Following Fatal RTA
Three charges were withdrawn from 36-year-old, Eldon Hendy, a technician of Isabella Bank, when he appeared today before Magistrate Dale Cayetano. The charges were manslaughter by negligence, causing death by careless conduct and driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention. They were withdrawn on instructions from the Director of Public Prosecutions. The charges arose from an incident which occurred on December 4, 2013. According to the allegation, Hendy was driving a white pick-up truck when he knocked down 75-year-old Gregory Lopez, who was riding a bicycle between miles 6 and 7 on the Philip Goldson Highway. Lopez received injuries to his head and body and he died on the spot.

Fort Point Security Reaches Out to Cancer Society
The Belize Cancer Society is a non-profit organization geared at providing guidance and support to both adults and children who are diagnosed with cancer. The centre also serves to promote awareness, regular check-ups and to encourage a healthy lifestyle. As an addition to their services rendered, the Society works at providing Christmas cheer to cancer patients particularly the young children and as part of this initiative, they appeal for donations of gifts each year starting from as early as October and private citizens, business and other entities are always willing to give. Up to early November, several gift items had been collected and stored but those disappeared when thieves broke into the centre and stole the presents valued at about five thousand dollars. Diane Finnegan is the Vice President of the Belize Cancer Society and today, she was on hand to receive some Christmas cheer on behalf of the society from Fort Point Security.

Echevarria Charged With Murder For Panamanian Diplomat
19 year old Wilser Echevarria has been charged for the murder of 64 year old Panamanian Diplomat, Jose Rodrigo De la Rosa. We understand that Echevarria was charged with murder and theft- one count in regards to the motor vehicle and one count in regards to a cell phone. Echevarria confessed to killing De la Rosa but he says it was self defense after De la Rosa allegedly made unwanted sexual advances on him. Echevarria family and friends were out in front of the Belmopan Police Station displaying their support for what they believe is an injustice. SISTER-IN-LAW "I am his sister in law and I am here to support him, we are all here to support him because all he did was defend himself and we know that he did not want to do that because he is a hard worker. He is paying for something that all he was doing was defend himself. We are poor but not because of that the rich will come and do whatever they want with their money."

Remanded Prisoner Plea Changed From Not Guilty To Guilty
Derrick Bain a remanded prisoner charged with theft from the person, changed his plea from not guilty to guilty when he appeared today before Chief Magistrate, Anne Marie Smith. The complainant, police constable Tanisha Dawson reported to the police that on October 22, 2013, she was walking on Sixth Street when Bain rode beside her on a bicycle and ripped her gold chain from around her neck and rode away. The chain was never recovered. Bain said it fell from his hand when he rode around a lane. Bain was sentenced to nine months. He has already served his sentence because Chief Magistrate Smith said that the sentence was time served. But although Bain has already served the sentence he was not released because he is remanded for a charge of grievous harm. Dawson was not a police officer when the incident occurred.

Eleven Year Old Says She Was Gang-Raped
One adult and two minors were charged with carnal knowledge of an 11 year old girl when they appeared today before the Chief Magistrate, Anne Marie Smith. The adult is 19 year old Keiron Willougby and the ages of the minors are 14 and 17 years old. The girl reported to the police that the defendants had sex with her on November 20 at a house on Antelope Street Extension. The defendants were remanded into custody until January 9, 2015.

PlusTV

Evangelical Association outraged by US Embassy's meddling in Belizean domestic issues
On Tuesday, we reported on statement issued by the US Embassy in Belize, in which the Ambassador called for the repeal of Belize's Section 53 law. As we told you, retired U.S. judge Carlos Moreno, in June of this year, became the new US Ambassador to Belize...

Four charged for assault of 11 year old girl
Four Belize City men, including two male minors, are being accused of gang raping an eleven year old schoolgirl, sometime last week. Police have rounded up 22 year old Wilfred Ramirez of Iguana Street,� as well as Kieran Willoughby, and two boys aged 14 and 17, and charged them with�unlawful sexual ...

City man pleads guilty to theft
Derrick Bain of Belize City pleaded guilty on Wednesday to a charge of theft, after 9 months on remand at the Central Prison. He was given credit for time served by Chief Magistrate Ann-Marie Smith, but remains on remand on a separate charge of grievous harm. On October 22, 2013, Bain is accused of ...

Traffic charges withdrawn for 2013 accident
36 year old Eldon Hendy of Isabella Bank, Belize District, no longer faces charges of manslaughter by negligence, causing death by careless conduct and driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention. The charges were withdrawn on his appearance on Wednesday, before Magistrate Dale Cayetano, ...

COLA plans to release documents showing ministerial interference in police matters
Citizens Organized for Liberty through Action (COLA) issued a press release on Wednesday �evening, claiming that it has come into possession of an extraordinary amount of files detailing critical issues affecting the morale, manpower, and operation of the Belize Police Department. COLA states that ...

Economic statistics: more buying, less selling
On Wednesday the Statistical Institute of Belize (SIB) offered a last batch of statistics on economic and social services for 2014, up to October. The news is encouraging in most sectors but disappointing in others. We begin with the 3rd Quarter Gross Domestic Product (GDP), which grew by 4...

Caye Caulker Chronicles

R.I.P. Mr. Bartolo Rodriguez
With deep regret, the Rodriguez Family wishes to announce the passing of Mr. Bartolo Rodriguez, on Tuesday, November 11, 2014. He was the last remaining child of Juan and Arcadia Rodriguez of Caye Caulker. He was 91 years old. He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Valentina Rodriguez; his children: Abel, Bartolo Jr., Roger, Arcadia Cruzita, Maria Amparo Montero, Mirta Smith, Jilmar, and Jose Homero, Kay Zehms, Ishmael Hernandez, their spouses, 29 grandchildren, 20 great grandchildren, and 1 great-great grandson, several nieces and nephews. Mr. Bat or Don Bat, as he was known by many, was a lobster fisherman. He enjoyed music, poetry, sports and teaching his trade. We wish to thank all who, in any way, helped us through this time of bereavement.

Patrick JonesPJ

Belize City taxi operators want to keep license moratorium
A majority of taxi operators in Belize City who met with the Belize City Council on Monday afternoon would like a moratorium on new licenses which has been in effect from 2012 to be lifted. But despite the important service they provide to the Belizean population, there has [�]

PUP leader says Joseph Mahmud "made poor decision"
Monday's resignation of Cayo North area representative Joseph Mahmud from the House of Representatives was a bombshell despite his announced intention not to seek reelection. But no one is more affected than the People's United Party (PUP), whose leader and executive are, to say the least, disappointed not [�]

Gateway Youth Center opens
The Community Action for Public Safety (CAPS) initiative of the Government through the Ministries of Education, Youth and Sports and Human Development, Social Transformation and Poverty Alleviation on Tuesday opened a brand-new youth center near the campus of Gwen Lizarraga High School in Belize City. It is intended [�]

Forum on masculinity underway in Belize City
A first of its kind national symposium on masculinity is underway at the Biltmore Hotel in Belize City. Organized by the National Women's Commission, today's forum is seeking to bring Belizean men together to strengthen efforts in reducing gender-based violence. During the course of the day various [�]

Blogs

Battle with the Sea
There are two things that you know are always going to lead to a good story: "So shit, there I was..." "Hey, hold my beer..." I like bullet points, and "things in threes" - so this is a third bullet point; although completely useless...pretty much made my day First you must know that the tale told did happen. The events that you are about to read are 100% based in reality; the identity of the people has not been changed...cause I'm more than happy for all of you to know about the events that nearly ended my life. It was a dark and stormy night, a front blowing in heavy from the North. Damn this Belizean winter. My brother and I, heroically crossing the sea, reaching the dock. Eric skillfully navigated through the traitorous shallows as we approached the island, our dock, and our safe haven for the night. Now - to tie up. Waves were crashing over the back of our tiny vessel; like the constant bat of a cat with a mouse - the ocean knew it could take us at any moment. Unbeknownst to us it had started a series of events that nearly did just that. Those waves had taken the back tie line off our stern, so as I grabbed the pole and reached for the bow tie the engine wrapped the line on the prop. Stopping it dead.

Belize's Beautiful Placencia Peninsula

NATO to reside in Belize
NATO is also expanding into the Southern Hemisphere. NATO and Colombia have signed a partnership agreement, the first such agreement with a Latin American nation. Colombia reportedly agreed to facilitate the stationing of additional NATO troops in Central America and the Caribbean, including European colonies and ex-colonies such as Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, St. Maarten, Guadeloupe, Martinique, and Belize.

The San Pedro Holiday Lighted Boat Parade
Back by Popular Demand - The San Pedro Holiday Lighted Boat Parade will be held on Saturday, December 6th starting at 6pm til around 9pm. This traditional event introduces the holiday season and brings us into the holiday mood with a fun event filled with twinkling lights, children's laughter, and Christmas carols. The dazzling boat parade will start at 6pm and span from Wayo's Beachside Bar, Boca Del Rio to Caribbean Villas Hotel. Our community will have amazing views of the festive boats from all over town! We look forward to past participants as well as new additions lighting up the sea this holiday season! All boat owners and organizations are welcome to enter a boat in the parade and competition. The Central Park Block Party will feature plenty of booths where you can buy food, special holiday drinks, gift items and enjoy fun activities such as taking your family pictures with Santa!

Belize Fashion Week in San Pedro is Finn Approved: Lights, Designer Collections and Catwalk!
From SanPedroScoop.com fashion correspondent Fin Kardashian: This past week, BFW (Belize Fashion Week) showcased the best designing talent in Belize and even featured some international designers from around Central America. Although it's not a Mercedes-Benz Bryant Park NYC fashion show, I would SO love to congratulate Pat Grief for putting on an outstanding event. We have Tropic Air's 2014 Belize Fashion Week! Me sitting in the front row with designers Joris Hendrick, Francis Alfaro and organizer, Ms Grief. The show is 100% Finn Approved and is one of a kind. The Designers and their collections: Andazi- Andazi, Maureen Navarette-His Glory Designs, Francis Alfaro- Heartink, Saskia Alejos-Saskia Alejos, Adrian Rocker-Iconic, Char- A list Fashion, Joris Graniel- Joris Hendrick, Daniel Torres- Jada's, Gabriel Garcia- GMX, Julie McCord- Julie Mango and John Vejerano- John Vejerano. Quite a line up.

International Sourcesizz

Panama Diplomat Killed in Belize; Suspect Detained
Authorities in Belize say they have detained a man suspected of killing a Panamanian diplomat. Jose Rodrigo De La Rosa was charge d'affaires at the Panamanian embassy in Belmopan, the capital of Belize. His body was found late Sunday near a highway on the outskirts of the city with cut wounds on his head and neck. The spokeswoman for Panama's Foreign Affairs Ministry said Wednesday a three-member team of investigators and diplomats had been sent to Belize to familiarize themselves with the case. Spokeswoman Monica de Leon said De La Rosa was a 64-year-old career diplomat. The ministry said he had served in various postings, including in Canada, Bolivia, Spain, Trinidad and Tobago and Israel.

Death of Winnipeg man in Belize under investigation
Officers launched an investigation into the death of a Winnipeg man in Belize, on the coast of northern Central America, earlier in the week. Winnipegger James Searles, 59, was found dead in a river in Belize. Superintendent Dinsdale Thompson of St. Ignacio Police said the newlywed had just arrived in Belize to reunite with his wife, Nicole Warner. The Canadians spent Saturday, Nov. 22, night together in St. Ignacio after Warner picked up Searles at the airport. They shared some drinks before going to sleep that night at Warner's home in Bullet Tree, a village just outside of St. Ignacio. "They stopped at a location got some beers. When they got to St. Ignacio town, they stopped at another store and got a quantity of rum, which they went to their home and they consumed, " said Spt. Thompson.

These spider monkeys kill their male infants
Male infanticide among mammals is quite common, and infants of either sex can be killed. But a new study of spider monkeys has found that, in this species, only the male infants are targeted. What's more, the infants were all from the monkeys' own social groups. Over 119 species of mammal are known to commit infanticide, including about 35 primate species. But in spider monkeys infanticide has only been previously recorded five times. A new long-term field project has now recorded this behaviour again in three separate suspected incidents. The researchers now believe that it may be more common than was originally thought. The report in Primate Journal proposes that males commit infanticide due to sexual competition between the males in the group. If there are too many new males, the competition would only get worse.

Technology to the Endangered Language Rescue?
Much has been written on how technology is helping endangered languages. Creative as they are, online dictionaries, mobile apps, interactive graphics and dedicated keyboards can't by themselves resuscitate or maintain a language. But as part of a larger cultural revitalization effort, technology can help. As William Brennan wrote last year in The New Yorker: "Simply embedding endangered languages into the keyboards of smartphones will not save them. But, keeping these languages enmeshed in the fabric of daily life--which, particularly for the newer, younger speakers who are key to these languages' survival, means being a viable way to communicate through technology--is the only way they will have even a slim hope of surviving." With all the emphasis on high tech, modest community radio stations are reaching thousands of people with easily accessible and low cost technology. They provide forums for indigenous peoples to listen and talk in their own language. Some are specifically geared toward revitalizing languages, like Cultural Survival's network of 80 radio stations in Guatemala, El Salvador and Belize. Others, like Radio Indonesia's Balinese programs, have developed organically. How many people still listen to the radio?

Top Picks: World's most exciting caves
10 - Belize: Mayan Ceremonial Site In the Cayo District of Belize, the Maya archaeological site of Actun Tunichil Muknal is especially captivating for its evidence of what is thought to be Mayan ceremonial sacrifices. Skeletons, ceramics and stoneware still lie within the cave walls, alongside cave formations that were modified by the Mayans to create shadows or silhouettes against the light that streams in. Tourist numbers are limited to preserve the cave and its artefacts.

National Car Rental expands Emerald Club in Latin America
Frequent travelers to Latin America can now experience the speed, choice and convenience offered through National Car Rental's award-winning Emerald Club loyalty program. National has expanded its Emerald Club Priority Service to airport locations in Aruba, Belize, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Curacao, Peru, Uruguay, Trinidad & Tobago and Tortola. "As National Car Rental continues its Emerald Club expansion in Latin America, we're pleased to provide membership benefits to more of our customers," said Rob Connors, assistant vice president of brand marketing, National Car Rental. "We continue to look for opportunities to offer reliable, efficient rental service to our Emerald Club members internationally and provide the service and quality that they've come to expect."

Videos

Video: Belize Night Dive, 10min.

Video: Belize, 12min.
Slide show of Belize Dive trip live aboard.

Video: The Great Blue Hole, Belize, 21min.
Dive trip to the Great Blue Hole in Belize on November 17, 2014 with Frenchie's Diving on Caye Caulker.

Video: Belize Night Dive Green Moray and Snapper, 1min.
Green Moray out and about fishing on a Night Dive with a Snapper at Hol Chan Marine Reserve Ambergris Cay Belize.

Video: Belize 2014 Video, 14min.

Video: Belize trip 2012, 4min.
Group of Old Dominion students take a trip to Belize for a study abroad course. With our leader Dr. Butler, we explore and learn about the various ecosystems found within the marine world.