The November 30, 2014 issue of The STAR (Cayo) is online HERE

This Week's Stories:

• Who Bex Bex!!! Mahmud Resigns From The House:
    “Who Bex Bex”!!! Joseph Mahmud, Peoples United Party (PUP) Area Representative for Cayo North, has abruptly resigned. About a month ago Mahamud had indicated that he would not be seeking re-election in 2017 but would serve out his term. Today however, all that changed when he resigned as a member of Parliament. This immediately puts his Cayo North seat up for grabs as a bi-election must be held within the next 90 days. The UDP is rearing to go with its standard bearer Omar Figueroa, who was elected as Standard Bearer earlier this year in February. The PUP on the other hand has not found a new standard bearer since Mahmud indicated he would not run again. Attorney Michel Chebat and businessman Richard Harrison have both declared an interest in the division. The PUP must now move quickly to hold a convention to either elect or endorse someone. It must be said that the opposition seems to have been caught with their pants down, because up until mid October Mahmud said that he would serve out his term and not seek re-election, he mentioned nothing about resigning. However, something happened between then and this morning at 11:00 am, when he resigned with immediate effect.
  • Bahadur And Molina Remanded To Hattieville:
    Two young men from Santa Elena have been remanded to the Central Prison in Hattieville for the rape and forcible abduction of a 14 year old minor. On Sunday, November 16, a female minor accompanied by her mother visited the San Ignacio police station and reported that whilst walking on George Price Avenue in the company of her sister, a red heavily tinted four door car, pulled up beside them when an occupant of the vehicle alighted wearing a white cloth covering most of his face, revealing only his eyes, forced her sister into the waiting car. She reported that upon witnessing this, she ran away.
  • Editorial: Still I Rise:
    By: Maya Angelou, 1928 - 2014 You may write me down in history With your bitter, twisted lies, You may trod me in the very dirt But still, like dust, I’ll rise. Does my sassiness upset you? Why are you beset with gloom? ‘Cause I walk like I’ve got oil wells Pumping in my living room. Just like moons and like suns, With the certainty of tides, Just like hopes springing high, Still I’ll rise...
  • Mexican President Pena Nieto To Overhaul Police:
    Mexico’s President Enrique Pena Nieto delivers a speech during a national broadcasting message from National Palace in Mexico City, México, 27 November 2014. Protesters have criticised Mexico's leader over the disappearance of 43 students. Mexico gang 'admits student deaths' and Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto has announced plans to overhaul the country's police forces, in the wake of the disappearance of 43 students. Mr Nieto said he would unify all local police units into one national force. The students, all trainee teachers, went missing in September after joining a protest in Iguala, Guerrero state.
  • World AIDS Day 2014:
    December 1st is World AIDS Day. The National AIDS Commission (NAC), the National HIV Programme of the Ministry of Health and their partner agencies invite you to become an interactive part of World AIDS Day 2014 activities. This year’s theme is: Getting to Zero: Zero new HIV infections. Zero discrimination. Zero AIDS-related deaths. HIV is now considered to be a concentrated epidemic in Belize. The recently completed Modes of Transmission Study suggests that around 70% of new infections in 2014 will occur in men and thus the shift of the response has now turned towards testing more men.
  • Influenza (Flu Virus):
    There are two main types of influenza (flu) virus: Types A and B. The influenza A and B viruses that routinely spread in people (human influenza viruses) are responsible for seasonal flu epidemics each year. Influenza A viruses can be broken down into sub-types depending on the genes that make up the surface proteins. Over the course of a flu season, different types (A & B) and subtypes (influenza A) of influenza circulate and cause illness. Flu Symptoms & Severity Influenza Symptoms Influenza (also known as the flu) is a contagious respiratory illness caused by flu viruses. It can cause mild to severe illness, and at times can lead to death. The flu is different from a cold. The flu usually comes on suddenly. People who have the flu often feel some or all of these symptoms:
  • Body Of Canadian Man Found In Mopan River:
    The lifeless body of a man, was retrieved from the Mopan River on Sunday, November 23, the person was wearing only a black jacket. Nicole Warner, 54, naturalized Canadian accountant, residing in Bullet Tree Falls village reported to police that on Saturday, November 21, at about 4:00 p.m. she picked up her husband, James Garfield Searles, 59, Canadian national, from the Philip Goldson International Airport and headed back to San Ignacio. She informs that whilst enroute to San Ignacio, they stopped at Amigos Restaurant and Bar, had food and a few drinks. Upon arriving in San Ignacio, they stopped at ABC Supermarket on the Bullet Tree Road to purchase a bottle of Travellers Gold and two cokes. Shortly after, at around 6:30 p.m. they arrived home in Bullet Tree Falls, where they continued drinking.
  • San Ignacio Resort Hotel’s restaurant, Running W Steakhouse, Introduces Fresh New Menu Items:
    Running W Steakhouse will launch its latest menu that features new, innovative items made fresh daily by our Chefs. The restaurant, known for its local and international cuisine, welcoming atmosphere and premium meats from their own family ranch, will introduce the new menu on December 1st which includes eight new appetizers, four new sandwiches & salads, nine new entrées, six new desserts and several new cocktails. During the process of revamping the Running W Steakhouse menu, the restaurant tested many of the new dishes on the weekly specials menu. “We had so many great ideas for new dishes that it became extremely difficult choosing what should be featured permanently,” said Kristin Utsman, Assistant Manager.”We have enough new dishes to feature 3 different menus that will be introduced seasonally”
  • STAR Humor
  • Your Weekly Horoscope and Lucky Numbers
  • Letters to the Editor
  • Public Notices