The December 16, 2014 issue of The STAR (Cayo) is online HERE

This Week's Stories:

• Popular Santa Elena DJ Brutally Murdered In Esperanza Village:
    The dead body of a popular Santa Elena DJ was found off a feeder road in Esperanza village. On Wednesday, December 10, 2014 at around 4:30 p.m. San Ignacio police were informed of the discovery of a dead man clad in only a t-shirt and boxers found off a feeder road in Esperanza Village. Upon arrival, the lifeless body of a male person was seen laying face up with what appeared to be cut wounds on the head with blood covering the face. The male person was on his knees in a bending position. Closer inspection led police to identify the male person as Samir Fernandez, 24, Belizean laborer of a San Pedro Street address in Santa Elena. While processing the scene, police discovered a short pants, a pair of black slippers, and a dark grey Samsung watch.
  • Huge Drug Bust In Shawville Area:
    Today, over 84, 000 grams of marijuana was found in the Shawville area in San Ignacio. On Monday, December 8, 2014 Special Branch personnel on routine patrol in the Shawville area of San Ignacio, came across four “El Quetzal” crocus sacks in the bushes. The sacks were searched and found to contain what appeared to be a green leafy substance consistent with that of marijuana. At the time of the discovery no one was in the area.
  • Mexican Luxury Hotel Development Group Investing in Belize:
    The Government of Belize, through BELTRAIDE, is pleased to announce the completion of the sale of the island of Caye Chapel, on Monday 8 December, 2014. Caye Chapel, an island in the Belize District, consisting of 265 acres, was purchased by a leading Mexican luxury hotel development group. The group, who are owners and operators of luxury tourism developments in Mexico City, Cancun, and Acapulco, are currently working on a detailed development plan for the island for presentation to Government. It is expected that this plan will include the announcement of the partnership with a renowned global luxury hotel brand, to be announced in the near future, as well as the development of high-end residencies and other amenities.
  • Scientists Make 'Feel Full' Chemical:
    Scientists have created a chemical that can be added to food to make people feel full. Initial tests showed it helped people to eat less and slow weight gain. It harnessed the power of a proprionate, which naturally makes us feel full when it is produced by breaking down fibre in the gut. Writing in the journal Gut, the UK researchers said their chemical would have to be eaten regularly to have an effect. The ingredient is a foul-tasting soluble powder, but the team, from Imperial College London and the University of Glasgow, are trying to incorporate it into bread and fruit smoothies.
  • UniBAM Celebrating Human Rights Day:
    The United Belize Advocacy Movement joints organizations around the World in celebrating Human Rights Day today December 10th. The day marks the United Nations General Assembly adoption and proclamation of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in 1948 and was first formed in 1950, when the General Assembly invited all member states and other organizations to celebrate. The theme for 2014, "Human Rights 365", it is a reminder that everyone is entitled to basic rights. UniBAM calls on all organization on this day to continue to express the values and principles of human rights, to ensure its inclusiveness and impact to quality of life of all citizens as rights are indivisible and universal.
  • HelpAge Belize Celebrates Human Rights Day:
    HelpAge Belize in collaboration with its partner agencies joins the rest of the World and Affiliate Members of HelpAge International in celebrating World Human Rights Day, December 10th, 2014. HelpAge International is marking the occasion with a renewed call for governments to challenge the wide range of human rights violations experienced every day by many older women and men. “Discrimination against men and women on account of their older age is one of the last remaining forms of prejudice to be tackled on a global basis,” said Toby Porter, Chief Executive at HelpAge International. “This has to change and a new UN convention on the rights of older people is the way to challenge age discrimination.”
  • Criticism: Giving and Receiving:
    Have you ever asked someone to give you an honest criticism? A very positive action on your part is to solicit criticism when appropriate. Ask for it, if you please. A sign of maturity is recognizing you don't know it all and you're open to learn more and to change, and you want to improve. Have you ever asked your boss for some honest feedback? Have you ever said, "I realize I need to improve in this area. Can you give me some good pointers on how to do that?" Soliciting appropriate criticism says a lot about you, and the response you receive is generally given in a positive way, much more palatable than unsolicited criticism. Instead of a criticism, it becomes a "critique." There's a perceived difference in a criticism and a critique.
  • Shame On Me, Again:
    "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1 (ESV) It happened suddenly and without warning. One minute I was sitting in a booth, laughing over a cup of coffee with my youngest son on his college campus (which just so happens to be my alma mater). The next minute, I'm driving away from my old college stomping grounds when the mere sight of a corner drugstore triggers a painful reminder of my past. It just so happened to be the same corner drugstore that one of my roommates and I ducked into late one night under a cloak of darkness to purchase a pregnancy test. She was late and had assumed the worst. It turned out it was negative, but it just as easily could have been me purchasing the test.
  • Diphtheria:
    Diphtheria is an upper respiratory tract illness caused by Corynebacterium diphtheriae, a facultative anaerobic, Gram-positive bacterium. It is characterized by sore throat, low fever, and an adherent membrane (a pseudomembrane) on the tonsils, pharynx, and/or nasal cavity. A milder form of diphtheria can be restricted to the skin. Less common consequences include myocarditis (about 20% of cases) and peripheral neuropathy (about 10% of cases). Diphtheria is an infectious disease spread by direct physical contact or breathing the aerosolized secretions of infected individuals.
  • Avoiding Poisons In Your Cayo Food:
    The second symposium on Finding Healthy / Safe Foods in the Cayo District will be held Saturday 13th December at the Maya Mountain Lodge’s conference facility. The November symposium focused on safe market produce. This month the focus is on processed boxed and canned foods as well as concerns about GMO. The January one will be on finding safe animal products. All symposiums follow the agenda pattern of Market place, consultation, and learning exchange. The symposium will run from 12-4 pm with the following schedule: 12-2pm Market place where you can connect and buy from providers of healthy foods. 2-3 pm Consultations on the results from the last symposium 3-4 pm Presentation followed by “learning exchange” by participants on dangers of processed foods.
  • Brazil 'Serial Killer' das Gracas Alleges 42 Deaths In A Decade:
    Brazilian police have arrested a man who has confessed to the killing of 42 people over the last decade in the city of Rio de Janeiro. Police say they arrested Sailson Jose das Gracas on Wednesday, shortly after he stabbed a woman to death in a city suburb. He then confessed to killing another 37 women, three men and a two-year-old girl. The police are searching for alleged victims and say they have found four. In a police interview broadcast on Brazil's TV Globo, the man said he would go out hunting, and he killed for the adrenaline.
  • STAR Humor
  • Your Weekly Horoscope and Lucky Numbers
  • Letters to the Editor
  • Public Notices