The January 4, 2015 issue of The STAR (Cayo) is online HERE

The January 11, 2015 issue of The STAR (Cayo) is online HERE

This Week's Stories:

• Omar Figeroa Wins Historic Landslide:
    On Monday, 5 January, 2015 bi-elections in Cayo North, 13 ballot boxes from two polling stations were carted over to the Center for Employment Training compound. That was the counting station for only the third divisional bi-election in Belize's history. Voting started slow that day but when polls closed at 6:00 pm, figures say the final turnout was 4023 voters or about 61% of the registered voters - that's in line with the divisional bi-election in Freetown in 1993 where 60% came out. And while the voters were slow to come out early on - the mass parties muscled in on the division and flooded the area with supporters from all over the country.
  • Bernadette Fernandez - One Of Four To Receive Queen's Honors:
    Her Majesty the Queen, Queen Elizabeth II has been graciously pleased to make the appointments of the most exelent order Brritish Empire on the occasion of the New Year honors 2015. Four Belizeans were honored under three cathegories. There are as follows: . The honor to be a Commander of the British Empire (CBE) was granted to attorney at law Michael Young, whose award is for services rendered to the legal profession and the community. The honor to be officers of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) are Esther Ayuso for services to the community and women's rights and Laura Longsworth for services to nursing and the community.
  • A Time for Everything:
    As it was mention long ago There is a time for everything And if you do the very good To you the best future bring There is a time when the very strong, also becomes the weak And everyone on this here earth is designated to a friend There is a time to listen and a time to speak When you travel anywhere every road have an end There has been times that you have failed And times that you have passed all test There is a time for you to harvest After what you have invest
  • You're Still in Process�:
    You are not who you were yesterday, You are not who you will be tomorrow. You're in the middle of the beautiful process of becoming. We fight that as women, don't we? We tell ourselves we have to be it all, do it all, know it all now. We deny ourselves permission to learn. And when we can't learn, we can't grow. I thought about this recently as I stood in the curtain section of TJ Maxx saying these words over and over to myself: You're learning to decorate your house. You're learning to decorate your house.
  • Hon. Rene Montero Christmas 8 Ball Tournament in Cayo - Shooters Champs!!!:
    The 2nd annual Hon. Rene Montero Christmas 8 ball tournament which began six weeks ago ended on Dec 21,2014, at Link-Up Bar, in Santa Elena, Cayo. The finals was truly a grand Christmas dance as if it was a national tournament with Shooters going up against the defending champs, Link-Up, whereby it was the best of two matches, meaning two teams had to win four games to become the champ. In the first match, Shooters started shooting sharply by defeating Link-up, 2-1. For Shooters, Gilbert Luna calmly won Juan Villanueva, 4-2, and David Fernandez used his sling like when David took down Goliath as he won Jimmy Rudon also, 4-2. But, Wayne Wiltshire stepped up big time for Link-Up and won Luis Usher, 4-1, to give his team hope. So, we off to the second match, and this time it was Link-up defeating Shooters, 2-1.
  • Eighth Annual Boom to Manatee Lookout Canoe Race- January 10th:
    Its time to get the season started with the "8th Annual Boom to Manatee Lookout Canoe Race" sponsored by, Belize Global Travel Services Ltd., Joseph & Taylor Ltd, Bear Mountain Boats in Canada and Architectural Accents Ltd. The race is scheduled for Saturday, 10th January and marks the first race for the season. The race is for MEMBERS ONLY and those wishing to participate who haven't submitted their membership application can do so before the race. Also, canoes that have not been registered, you will be able to get this done before the race as well. All canoes must have on a BCAnoe Racing number. Avoid the rush come early, Race starts 10 sharp, no delays! The race will have an entry fee of $50 per team and all paddlers will receive a free BBQ at Manatee Lookout.
  • Bun Up Busted With Weed:
    A well known Santa Elena man was arrested and charged for the possession of a controlled drug. San Ignacio police were conducting their usual patrol in Santa Elena when they saw Albert "Bun Up" Myvett, 45, Belizean laborer, riding a black beach cruiser bicycle on the George Price Highway. Myvett was stopped and searched. Police reportedly found on his person, a yellow plastic bag in the front part of his pants.
  • Costa Rica Boat Accident Kills Three Elderly Tourists:
    Survivors were taken to Costa Rica's Herradura beach, in Puntarenas Three elderly tourists were killed in Costa Rica when a boat carrying more than 100 people capsized in rough seas. The victims are a British man and a Canadian and an American woman, said the Costa Rican authorities The catamaran was taking tourists unidentified woman told local television. The Pura Vida Princess was carrying 99 tourists and 10 crew when it sank some 15km (nine miles) offshore.
  • Why Do I Have So Many Issues?:
    "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1 (NIV) Have you ever looked at other people and thought to yourself, "How does everyone else have it all together? And why is it I seem to have so many issues?" I understand. For most of my life, I've struggled with my weight and committing to a healthy lifestyle. My soul was rubbed raw from years of trying and failing. I wanted something to instantly fix my issues. I wanted to stop calling myself awful names I'd never let another person call me. I wanted to be naturally thin like my sister. I wanted to stop crying when I walked into my closet to get dressed in the morning.
  • Ayala Sentenced To Twelve Years In Jail:
    Four men and a minor were arrested for the possession of a controlled drug. On Wednesday, December 31, 2014 at about 8:20 am, police conducting routine patrol in the area of Stanton Street in San Ignacio Town, noticed a suspicious male person at a garage standing by a blue plastic drum. As they approached the garage the said male person went inside the storeroom, while the others waited outside. Police then informed the group that they will be conducting a search for drugs. The men were all searched and immediately after the blue drum was searched and found to contain some loose green leafy substance which was suspected to be cannabis.
  • Insomnia:
    Insomnia, or sleeplessness, is a sleep disorder in which there is an inability to fall asleep or to stay asleep as long as desired. While the term is sometimes used to describe a disorder demonstrated by polysomnographic or actigraphic evidence of disturbed sleep, this sleep disorder is often practically defined as a positive response to either of two questions: "Do you experience difficulty sleeping?" or "Do you have difficulty falling or staying asleep?" Insomnia is most often thought of as both a medical sign and a symptom that can accompany several sleep, medical, and psychiatric disorders characterized by a persistent difficulty falling asleep and/ or staying asleep or sleep of poor quality. Insomnia is typically followed by functional impairment while awake. Insomnia can occur at any age, but it is particularly common in the elderly. Insomnia can be short term (up to three weeks) or long term (above 3-4 weeks); it can lead to memory problems, depression, irritability and an increased risk of heart disease and automobile related accidents.
  • Mexico Police Held Over Abduction Of Journalist Sanchez:
    Colleagues of Moises Sanchez think the state may have colluded in his kidnapping Thirteen municipal police officers are being held in the eastern Mexican state of Veracruz over the kidnapping of a journalist on 2 January. Moises Sanchez was abducted from his home by armed men on 2 January. Mr Sanchez works for a newspaper in the city of Medellin and is known for his coverage of drugrelated violence. The arrests come amid a series of horrific disappearances and murders in which the security forces are alleged to be involved.
  • STAR Humor
  • Your Weekly Horoscope and Lucky Numbers
  • Letters to the Editor
  • Public Notices

The January 25, 2015 issue of The STAR (Cayo) is online HERE

This Week's Stories:

• Mystery Surrounds Death of Emerson Daly:
    Today is a tragic day for the family and friends of Emerson Daly, as all hopes for his safe return came crashing to an end when they found his body. On Tuesday, January 20, 2015, a report was made by the family of Emerson Daly, 24 year old Roaring Creek Resident, who was missing since the evening of Sunday, January 18, 2015. The young entrepreneur, according to family members, left home around 8 pm on Sunday in his vehicle belonging to his uncle and was reportedly heading to Belmopan. Emerson didn't return that night. Belmopan police received a major lead when the vehicle, he was last seen driving, was found abandoned on Mount Pleasant Road located between miles 46 and 47 on the George Price Highway. Police recovered the car, but there was no sign of Daly, only what appears to be blood stains inside and a pair of slippers. Immediately thereafter, a search team was organized to scour the area in Mount Pleasant area.
  • Wanted - Emmanuel Willoughby:
    Be on the look out for this man. He is Armed and Dangerous. He has been seen around the Santiago Jaun layout area. A twenty-five year old inmate, Emmanuel Willoughby, escaped from the Central Prison . Willoughby ingeniously cut a hole on his cell door which facilitated his break from the prison at around three o'clock on Saturday morning. He was incarcerated for the Possession of Unlicensed Firearm and was serving a five-year sentence which he would have completed on December eleventh, 2017. According to a release from the Kolbe Foundation, Willoughby is affiliated to the Jerusalem Gang. Kolbe also notes that his sibling, Julian Willoughby, was killed in March of this year.
  • Alleged Rapist Missing:
    Wednesday, January 14, 2015. Police today, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, issued a missing person's report for a man from San Ignacio town. According to police the wife of 35 year old Anibal Diaz went to the police station to report that he left his home in the Santiago Juan area of San Ignacio around 7 pm on Monday, January 12, 2015, to go fishing in the Macal River. That was the last time she saw him. Anibal Diaz is described as being of slim build, has low, straight black hair and has a tatoo of a dragon on the right upper arm. He was last seen wearing a blue short pants and an off-white shirt and blue slippers. Police are looking into the missing person's report.
  • NEBL Season Will Open With Last Year's Finals Rematch:
    The National Elite Basketball League (NEBL) Season will tip off on Friday, February 6, 2015. There will be eight teams participating in this year's tournament, which are Orange Walk Running Rebels, Belize City No Limit Soldiers, new comers Belize Hurricanes, defending champs San Pedro Tiger Sharks, Belmopan Red Taigaz, defending sub champs Cayo Western Ballaz, Dangriga Warriors and Toledo Diplomats. The tournament will employ a home and away format, with each team playing a total of 14 regular season games. The top four teams will advance to the playoffs in a best-ofthree series to decide who will reach the finals, which will be a best-of-five series. The playoffs are scheduled to commence on May 22, 2015.
  • ELECTIONS AND BOUNDARIES DEPARTMENT NOTICES:
    IT IS NOTIFIED for general information that the Elections and Boundaries Commission, pursuant to Section 18 (1) of the Belize City Council Act, Chapter 85 of the Laws of Belize, has appointed the RETURNING OFFICER named below for the Belize City Council Election to be held on Wednesday, the 4th day of March 2015, and the Chief Elections Officer, acting pursuant to Section 18(2) of the said Act, has appointed, with the approval of the Elections and Boundaries Commission, the ELECTION CLERKS named below for the said Belize City Council Election:-
  • Varicose Veins:
    Varicose veins are veins that have become enlarged and twisted. The term commonly refers to the veins on the leg, although varicose veins can occur elsewhere. Veins have pairs of leaflet valves to prevent blood from flowing backwards (retrograde flow or venous reflux). Leg muscles pump the veins to return blood to the heart (the skeletal-muscle pump), against the effects of gravity. When veins become varicose, the leaflets of the valves no longer meet properly, and the valves do not work (valvular incompetence). This allows blood to flow backwards and they enlarge even more. Varicose veins are most common in the superficial veins of the legs, which are subject to high pressure when standing. Besides being a cosmetic problem, varicose veins can be painful, especially when standing.
  • STAR Humor
  • Your Weekly Horoscope and Lucky Numbers
  • Letters to the Editor
  • Public Notices