From time to time you will be in Belize City at lunchtime..... I know I am, and have found quite a few yummy spots for lunch. I thought it would be nice to share them with readers who may not yet have discovered them, or who may consider Belize City the great unknown.

Here is my list ...... Feel free to add to it!

Marlin - a hole in the wall local place on the river just across the swing bridge from the water taxi area. Good home cooked food, inexpensive. If you are in a hurry they have soups and the usual rice and beans combos. If you have an extra 10 minutes, they make a dynamite fish fillet freshly caught and prepared to order. Average lunch price about $10 Belize.

Chon Saan Palace - just the best Chinese food in Belize! A huge menu, all food is exceptional. Not cheap, but worth it. My favorite is the eggplant stuffed with shrimp. OMG.

Riverside Tavern - if you like clean, healthy tasty upscale bar food this is the place. Good service, fabulous food. Very reasonable prices. IMHO the best onion rings on the planet.

Sahara - Northern Highway, across from Biltmore. Lebanese food to die for. Simple decor, excellent service, undo your belt and eat til you burst. The hummus is perfection, the kabobs succulent, fresh yogurt, and everything you could want from this type of cuisine.

Birds Isle - a Belizean tradition. Hidden gem across a short causeway to a little island. Just go to the end of Regent street and then go a little further. Local food, good prices, casual service, waterfront decks with.great views. Do not go on a cruise ship day as it is really crowded on these days and it could take you an hour to get lunch. On any non cruise ship day, go and eat great food and enjoy!!

Spoonerz - Riverside, front street between the two water taxi terminals. coffees, pastries, sandwiches, savouries beer. Good AC, free wi-if. Upscale casual and artsy. Brick walls inside, lovely patio outside.

Moonclusters - this is not lunch, this is caffeine ....excellent frozen coffees and other delights. Upstairs on a street whose name I can't recall ..... Ask your cab driver to take you there. You will be glad.

On the run and want just a little something .... Try Le Petite Cafe at the Great House or their outlet at the Caye Caulker Water Taxi terminal.