A huge fire has engulfed a section of Pescador Drive and Buccaneer Street. The fire reportedly started early this morning. As fire fighters fight to control the area, San Pedro Police are working on evacuating all residents in the vicinity. Reports are that at least two gas containers have exploded, making matters worse. As of an hour ago, The fire is now under control - the bucket brigade stopped it from spreading further and the fire brigade are continuing to douse it.

For those in need of a shelter, The San Pedro Roman Catholic School has been opened. Let's spread the word and share this information and ensure all fire victims have a place to rest!

San Pedro Sun reporters at the scene say the fire appears to be under control. Due to the fire, electrical power has been cut off to portions of Pescador Drive, Angel Coral Street, Coconut Drive and Eliot Subdivision for an unknown amount of time. Residents are asked to bear with this inconvenience as damaged poles and wires will need to be repaired before the power can be reinstalled.

Click photos for more pictures

More information and videos on the San Pedro Sun facebook page and the Ambergris Today facebook page.

Community members come together to form bucket brigades in an effort to control the fire. Unofficial reports are that at least four homes have been destroyed by the inferno.

The extent of the damage of the devastating fire is huge. Firefighters and volunteers have taken control of the fire, extinguishing most of it and are still dousing burning embers as daylight approaches. No casualties have been reported and shelter for the fire victims has been opened at the San Pedro Roman Catholic School.

We don't know of any casualties or injuries yet. Buildings from lino's meat shop down to Graniel's Dream Shop have been damaged/ burnt to the ground. Almost an entire block of buildings along the left side (looking north to south) of middle street Pescador Drive has burnt down.

Brian Halliday: We did good tonight, everyone that participated. It could of been a lot worst! I want to big up up the police department, fire department and everyone who volunteered we made a difference tonight. I hope no life was lost. God bless the victims and I thank everyone that assisted in any way possible!