FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Corozal Animal Programs' second Dog Obedience Training Class
Starts on Tuesday March 21st and runs for 8 weeks at the park by the Copper Horse. The course will be taught by dog trainer Lynne Shipley. 9 a.m. Puppies up to 6 months 9:30 a.m. Dogs over 6 months Cost is $80.00 payable at first class. 100% of fees go directly to fund Corozal Animal Program to provide spay/neuter, adoption, fostering and immunization for animals in the Corozal area. Respond to this email or call- 636-9698 to register

Aracaris are closely related to the Toucan
Three wild ones visit a fruit tree across from the porch of the main house. In 2016 there were three young Aracaris released at the rescue. Have those released birds made the rescue a part of their foraging circuit? I'll never tel

Belikin La Ruta Maya River Challenge 2017
Lots of photos....

THE BIGGEST WINNERS OF 2017 LA RUTA MAYA
While NICH claimed the first place prize in this year's La Ruta Maya, the biggest winners and the clear fan favorite was team Higher Steaks. The team has captured the attention and earned the affection on Belizeans across the country. The team is comprised of 3 young boys ages 9, 13 and 15 years old. These boys are reportedly from the Cruz family of Esperanza Village who are the most decorated paddlers in the history of the La Ruta Maya challenge. The Higher Steaks youngest paddler, Danny Cruz, is son to Daniel Cruz who has paddled with Belize Bank and now Koop Sheet Metal and has 8 championships in the pro division and his wife Delilah Cobb (now Cruz) who has also won in the female division. The youngest brother, Ervin Cruz has won titles in both pleasure and pro categories.

Our Tapas Bar Wine Tasting
Cayo's newest tapas bar, Our Tapas Bar, is having a wine tasting event on Friday, March 10th, and they'll have live acoustic music too. It's a really nice little spot, right next to Sweet Ting.

Want?
What does Belize want? What did we learn from Bookman and Toussaint? Why are we blaming the whiteman When we live in a free nation Blaming pump and circumstance Instead of creating and system with some relevance Where is the Belize Resonance? When cometh our Belesaunce? Belize's future noh dependent pan Election It's dependent on pan Participation Imagination Institution Cooperation Self actualization A paradigm shift Creating parallel systems fi wi people uplift

The Reporter

La Ruta Maya winners awarded in Belize City
The 2017 La Ruta Maya river Challenge ended in Belize City today. The teams made their last stop at the Swing Bridge this morning, and gathered in the Bottom Dollar parking lot on North Front Street for the award ceremony this afternoon. Seven teams emerged with first place prizes, after the 180-mile race, which was broken into four phases. Team NICH (National Institute of Culture and History) took first place in the Male category; Belize Bank Bulldogs won first place in the Female category; Wat Eva Boyz took first prize in the Intramural class; U.E.S Impact Designs was first in the Mixed category; Weh Dem Deh, took first place in the Pleasure category; Team Harris was first in the Family class; and Watt a Ting was first in the Masters category.

Police investigate three murders
Police are investigating three murders that occurred over the holiday weekend. Police were summoned to an area between miles 12 and 13 on the George Price highway on Saturday where they discovered the bodies of two men, one dressed in red T-shirt and blue shorts and the other dressed a black shirt and black jeans pants. The two were later identified as Godwin Panting and Albert Wade. Police say both men suffered multiple gunshot wounds. In a separate incident, a shooting on Jasmine Street on Sunday night, claimed the life of Marvin Flowers. Flowers was pronounced dead at 1:53 a.m., on Monday. In Caye Caulker village, three persons were shot on Xocol Street in the Bahia Area on Sunday. The Reporter will have details of these incidents in our printed edition.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Tiffany Trump is enjoying Belize's amazing adventure tours
Tiffany Trump, the youngest daughter of US President Donald Trump posted today on her Instagram account a video of herself enjoying a zip lining tour in Belize. Trump is seen zip lining presumably at Jaguar Paw, one of the best spots to zip line in the country. BBN reported on Saturday that Trump was seen arriving at the Philip Golson International Airport with heavy security personnel and was probably heading to Cayo Espanto, an island resort off the coast of Belize.

4 murdered, 3 shot since Friday
Since Friday, 4 persons have been reported dead and another 3 persons have reportedly been shot. Sometime after midnight last night on Caye Caulker, a pregnant woman, her boyfriend and her brother-in-law were all shot. They are all currently receiving treatment at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital (KHMH). At around 11:44 p.m. on Saturday, Marvin Flowers was visiting his family on Jasmine Street when he was shot dead. He died on the scene. A relative told us that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

US Associate Professor to build Kriol Museum in Belize
A public history museum focusing on the Kriol community will be established in Belize by Eleanor Harrison-Buck, a University of New Hampshire Associate Professor of Anthropology. Harrison-Buck was awarded a grant of US $50,000 from the Whiting Public Engagement Fellowship for the project. However, it is not yet known exactly where and when the museum will be constructed. In Belize, more than a third of the country's population is part of the Kriol community which is descended from enslaved Africans brought to the country by Europeans in the 18th and 19th centuries.

UB's new president, Clement Sankat
The former pro- vice chancellor and principal of the University of West Indies at St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago is coming to Belize. Clement Sankat will assume his new post as the President of the University of Belize (UB). Former President of the University, Alan Slusher headed the post since June of 2014. On February 11, at the UB graduation ceremony, the news was announced. Sankat in his remarks made a call for the extension of educational services at UB, "the role of the University must be, as a first priority, to provide much larger numbers of Belizean students from across the country an opportunity for a quality tertiary education, thereby nurturing future leaders for various professions as well as developing thinkers and providing a launch pad for creative and talentedentrepreneurs."

Belizeans commemorate National Heroes and Benefactors day
A national holiday in Belize, previously commemorated as Baron Bliss day is being observed in the country today. The day was set aside to remember Belize's greatest financial benefactor, Baron Bliss. Baron Henry Edward Ernest Victor Bliss was born in Marlow, Bickinghamshire, England on February 16, 1869. In 1911 at the age of 42, the Baron was stricken with a paralysis, probably polio, that left him paralyzed from waist downward, confining him to a wheelchair. Though paralyzed from the waist down from 1911, Baron Henry maintained his love of sailing and fishing.

Superbond 3.0 complete
Bondholders have approved the terms of the government's updated consent solicitation, bringing GOB's bond restructuring efforts to a close. Reuters reported that bondholders and GOB hammered out a deal reducing the interest on the note and shortening its final maturity. According to the revised terms, the new note will pay an interest of 4.9375% below the current 5% and much lower than the 6.767% scheduled to kick in on August 20. In addition the bonds final maturity has been brought forward from 2038 to 2034. The amortization schedule, which was to begin in 2019, will now be paid in five annual installments starting in 2030.

Two reportedly shot in Caye Caulker, woman critical
Reports reaching out newsroom are that three people: a man, his girlfriend, and another man were socializing in Caye Caulker sometime after midnight last night when they came under fire. BBN understands that the girl was shot to her head and rushed to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital (KHMH) where she is listed in a critical condition. Her boyfriend, we are told, received no injuries but the other male companion was also shot. However, details of his injuries are unknown.

Blogs

Remembering Belize's greatest Benefactor: Baron Bliss
Born on February 16th, 1869 in the Buckingham County, England, Baron Bliss loved the sea and was often found sailing. Unfortunately at the age of 42, Baron Bliss contracted polio and was eventually confined to a wheelchair due to the disease. Baron Bliss didn't allow this unfortunate events dictate his life, and soon acquired a shallow draft yacht built for his condition. On the vessel "Sea King II", Baron Bliss sailed through the Caribbean, eventually landing in Belize. Baron Bliss came to Belize through an invitation from Willoughby Bullock, an old friend and former Attorney General of Belize. It was January 14th, 1926 when the Sea King II landed in the harbour of Belize. Baron Bliss enjoyed a little time in Belize, falling in love with a country he never explored. He died on March 9th of that same year aboard his yacht. The donation of the bulk of his fortune brought much blessings to Belize, and thus he became an iconic figure for the people.

Belize's March National Holiday: An Unexpected Treat
Today, Baron Bliss Day, has always been one of my favorite national holidays in Belize. A quick note: In November, 2008, this national holiday was officially renamed "Heroes and Benefactors Day" but it remains unchanged in my heart. There are a few reasons for my love of March 9 (or whatever Monday falls closest to that date). The timing. The United States so thoughtlessly leaves a huge gap between Presidents' Day at the end of February and Memorial Day at the end of May. A holiday in March is a great idea. His name. Baron Bliss? Amazing. It's so well�. almost what you'd expect in a romance novel. "The Viscount that Loved Me". "The Dreamy Duke". "The Baron Bliss"�can't you see it now? And the ease of it all. A day off to relax. Hang out with friends and family.

How to Make Chicken Panucho
Panucho is a very tasty dish made from masa and the cul used for Belizean tamales. It can be made with chicken, beef, gound beef or pork.

International Sourcesizz

Tiffany Trump goes zip-lining in the jungle while on vacation in Belize
Tiffany Trump is letting her hair down in Belize with her longtime boyfriend Ross Mechanic while her father Donald continues to battle controversy just two months into his presidency. The 23-year-old First Daughter took to Instagram on Monday to share a playful video of herself zip-lining in Central America. Tiffany traded her elegant dresses for a hot pink tank top and leggings for the adventurous outing in Belize. The day before, the University of Pennsylvania graduate shared footage of herself being lowered into a cave in the stories section of her Instagram account. The video sees Tiffany descending into the darkness before heading out a tunnel in a boat, saying: 'Goodbye cave.'

Scouts in Belize Learn about Amateur Radio
The Belize Amateur Radio Club (BARC) presented an "Introduction to Amateur Radio" for the Scout Association of Belize on February 26. The demonstration, held at the Scouts National Training Grounds, covered BARC's goals for Amateur Radio in Belize, a video, a hands-on demonstration of radio equipment, and a question-and-answer session. The demonstration represented a first step in cooperation between BARC and the Scout Association of Belize (Scouts Belize). "As we move forward with our friendship and cooperation, let's remember to use our radio skills wisely for the greater good of our nation, especially in times of emergencies such as hurricanes and flooding, when we are needed most," BARC President Emil Rodriguez, V31ER, said afterward.

90% of Predatory Fish Gone from Caribbean Coral Reefs Due to Overfishing
Researchers at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill have found that up to 90 per cent of predatory fish are gone from Caribbean coral reefs, straining the ocean ecosystem and coastal economy. The good news? They identified reefs, known as supersites, which can support large numbers of predator fishes that if reintroduced, can help restore the environmental and economic setback inflicted by overfishing. The work, led by former UNC-Chapel Hill graduate student Abel Valdivia working with John Bruno, a marine biologist at UNC College of Arts & Sciences, suggests that these supersites - reefs with many nooks and crannies on its surface that act as hiding places for prey (and attract predators) - should be prioritized for protection and could serve as regional models showcasing the value of biodiversity for tourism and other uses. Other features that make a supersite are amount of available food, size of reef and proximity to mangroves.

Belize's American manager: Richard Orlowski's long route to Central America
It probably wasn't the introduction Richard Orlowski was expecting. Not long installed as the new manager of Belize's national team, he took a squad of players assembled from local teams like Police United to duke it out with their Central American neighbors for the regional title. The countries that make up the sliver of Concacaf territory between Mexico and the top of South America is not exactly a haven of world beaters. But for many on the isthmus soccer is religion, and Costa Rica has lately given the region a respected focal point. If there is a Central American soccer pecking order, Belize is usually at or near the bottom. "I saw the match Belize played against Panama, and honestly, if I am the coach of Belize, excuse me and forgive me for saying this, but I am going from the hotel to my house." Stinging words from a seemingly unlikely source: the Nicaragua head coach Henry Duarte. They followed a surprise result for Orlowski and his Jaguars side as they opened their 2017 Copa Centroamericana campaign with a backs-against-the-wall 0-0 tie against hosts Panama. It was an effective performance but not one for the purists. Duarte wasn't impressed: Welcome to Central America.

Going to the Beach Actually Changes Your Brain for the Better, Says Science
We live on a lake for a reason: Being near water just makes us happy! As a child, I lived near the ocean, and always knew that a landlocked existence just wasn't for me. So I'm glad my husband and kids are also drawn to the water. But I never stopped to think about the science behind our predilection for all things blue and sparkling. Until now. It turns out research actually points to the many benefits of being near water. Namely, that exposure to the ocean, a lake, a river, or the like, reduces depression. Today's Mama reports blue space also boosts creativity, because it relaxes the brain. And you probably won't be surprised to learn that a trip to the beach instantly de-stresses us due to naturally occurring negative ions in water.

Gobierno implementa programa de acuicultura
Seg�n indic� la Presidencia de la Rep�blica, las comunidades ubicadas en la zona de adyacencia entre Guatemala y Belice ser�n beneficiadas con el proyecto de acuicultura, con el prop�sito de reducir la desnutrici�n entre sus pobladores y fortalecer el desarrollo econ�mico de las familias en estado vulnerable. El presidente Jimmy Morales dijo: "Aqu� doy la orden para que se implemente la pesca de tilapia, que ya hay 26 casas que tienen laguna".

Videos

• Wanderlust Belize History & Culture, 2min.

• Wanderlust Belize Nature & Wildlife, 2.5min.

• Lamanai, Belize, 4min.

• Tiffany Trump shares Instagram videos from vacation to Belize, 1min. Tiffany Trump shares Instagram videos from inside a cave and from a picturesque jungle during her vacation to exotic Belize

• Tiffany Trump goes zip-lining in the jungle while on vacation in Belize, 10sec. Tiffany Trump is letting her hair down in Belize with her longtime boyfriend Ross Mechanic while her father Donald continues to battle controversy just two months into his presidency. The 23-year-old First Daughter took to Instagram on Monday to share a playful video of herself zip-lining in Central America. The clip, which she captioned with a monkey emoji, sees her happily sailing through the trees while smiling for the camera.

• Crazy Ass Caribbean Storm Moves into San Pedro, BELIZE 3-4-2017, 1min. Quick hard hitting storm rolled in on March 4th, 2017 and blew the crap out of the island for a few minutes and then left just as fast!

• Wood rail in Belize, 1/2min. Taken from the boat in Crooked Tree Wildlife Sanctuary.

• Reise durch Amerika - Belize, ein Schmelztiegel der Kulturen, 25min. "Das kleine Land Belize nimmt hinsichtlich seiner Kultur und Geschichte eine Sonderstellung unter den L�ndern Mittelamerikas ein. Die parlamentarische Monarchie war vor ihrer Unabh�ngigkeit eine britische Kolonie. Daher ist Englisch dort auch die offizielle Amtssprache. Aber die indianische und die afrikanische Kultur sind im Vielv�lkergemisch Belizes weiterhin lebendig geblieben.

• Finish of La Ruta Maya Belize River Challenge 2017, 2min. Team NICH (National Institute of Culture and History) has won the La Ruta Maya Belize River Challenge 2017. Here is a short video by Will Moreno Photography In the first clip you can clearly see Team D&A Smart Belize Warriors edging out Team NICH to the finish of the 4th and final stage of the race but team NICH had performed well throughout the race that their cumulative time have them winning first place. In the final clip team Higher Steaks - Running W Brand Meats team is comprised of 3 young boys ages 9, 13 and 15 years old and they held their own in the race with the hearts of champions knowing they were competing against adults. They will only get better. Very proud to see their passion, courage and endurance, they are the future of the race.

• Owen Smith Belize 2010 2012 Peace Corps Week, 6min. In honor of Peace Corps Week, I just wanted to share a few photos from my time serving in the Peace Corps in Belize between 2010 and 2012 as well as some photos from when I was able to return in 2012 after being assaulted and in 2014 when my wife I returned on our honeymoon. I'm forever grateful to all the wonderful people of Belize and especially Trio Village. I'm also thankful to the Peace Corps for the opportunity to live and work in such a special community. There are so many more friends and pictures than I could fit in a short video. I put the pictures to a song I wrote called La Resurrecci�n. Hope you enjoy and hope that you can see the power of friendship, community, and love through the video.

• Belize Vacation, 7min.