Veteran Officer Fitzroy Yearwood Challenges Transfer, Castro Story

Inspector Fitzroy Yearwood was summarily transferred from his post as a Media Relations Officer on Wednesday and is now preparing himself for legal action against the Belize Police Department.� His abrupt removal from that unit has led many to believe that it is the result of him releasing a police report in which brothers Wasani and Jafari Castro were wanted for questioning by San Pedro police.� The siblings are reportedly persons of interest in connection with an incident during which twenty-one-year-old Kevin Brown was beaten into unconsciousness last weekend in San Pedro.� Within a few hours of releasing that information, Yearwood was reassigned to the post of Relief Commander at the Queen Street Police Station.� That decision to relocate the career policeman was taken by Assistant Commissioner of Police Edward Broaster, who says that the transfer is in no way the result of that controversial report being released to the media.� But Yearwood is not taking his new placement in stride, today he responded stridently to allegations being made that he erroneously published the name of the Castro brothers in Wednesday's sitrep.

On the Phone: Insp. Fitzroy Yearwood, Former Media Relations Officer

"I did not know that I got an immediate transfer until I saw it on the news yesterday.� As far as I know, I have a whole lot of personal issues that I'm dealing with and I requested some leave to deal with it.� I cannot go in depth to explain that but when I watched the news last night I heard something about my work ethics.� I do not like when I am being criticized by someone that displays no kind of ethics at all and then worst, to criticize my work ethics.� Today makes twenty-one years I am serving the people of Belize.� I do not serve any other police officer, I serve my country and if they want to criticize me publicly then bring your evidence forth.� But as far as I know, I have heard a rumor, something about the Castro brothers and a report.� I do not put out reports that are not sent or forwarded to me by officers commanding various formations.� I received a report from ASP Diane Augustine where she was sorting the Castro brothers in connection with a beating of Kevin Brown, I think, and I sent out the information to the media.� I have nothing to apologize for because that's my job, I send out reports.� Whosoever wants to quote me or sue me, I welcome any lawsuit because I have everything saved and I do not do things out of malice.� I am not anyone that believes I should mislead the general public, but if something is sent to my desk it is my responsibility ton seek the assistance of the public to try and solve the crime.� I do not care whose son it is, I do not care who it is.� As long as you are wanted and it's sent to my desk I will send it out.� You can be a Yearwood and I will send that out.� So I will not say anything that I did wrong and I have my proof with me and if they intend to continue badgering me I intend to take them to court because my name will not be condemned by anyone because I have built that name, I love my name and I will keep my name."

Channel 5