FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

GIS Training for BDF and BCG
The Ministry of Defence conducted an Introduction to Geographic Information System (GIS) Training for members of the Belize Defence Force (BDF) and the Belize Coast Guard (BCG) at the Central Information Technology Office (CITO) in Belmopan. The Introduction to GIS and Web GIS courses introduced GIS concepts and included demonstrations and practical exercises for fifteen (15) security forces personnel. Topics included ArcGIS Platform, Collector for ArcGIS, Performing Spatial Analysis, Story Maps and Survey123. The courses are the start of the process to better visualize what is happening on the ground and improve the data for better and faster decision making by the Security Forces.

New CARICOM Youth Ambassador for Belize
The Department of Youth Services (DYS) is pleased to announce Ms. Kylah Ciego as the new female CARICOM Youth Ambassador (CYA), Belize, 2017-2019. Ms. Ceigo was chosen from among fourteen (14) other vibrant applicants. Youth Development Expert Henry Charles was the lead interviewer on the panel. Kylah has been active in youth development work through her involvement in student councils, a GoBelize member and was employed as a Social Worker where she was involved in working with incarcerated youth at the Belize Central Prison. Kylah was very instrumental in the consultation process for the development of the National Youth Development Policy.

Anke Doehm's Preliminary Inquiry on 'Cruelty to a Child' Delayed While Custody Hearing Proceeds
Recently widowed Anke Doehm appeared twice at the Magistrate Court in Belize City for two separate hearings. The first, on Tuesday, October 17th, heard the charge of 'Cruelty to a Child,' in relation to the death of her 13-year-old adoptive daughter Faye Lin Cannon. The second appearance on Wednesday, October 18th, was a scheduled custody hearing between Doehm and David Cannon, the adoptive father of the remaining three Cannon children. This hearing took a bizarre turn after Doehm appeared in court without legal representation and was permitted to represent herself, and question Cannon on the custody of their children. After some time of back forth between Cannon and Doehm, the session was concluded and adjourned for Tuesday, October 24th. It is believed that Doehm will once again be unrepresented by an attorney.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Caye Caulker Village Council Public Meeting on Monday
23rd October 2017, 6pm sharp, at the Community Center.

1st Annual Halloween Costume Pop Up Shop
Where: Bondi Bar, Caye Caulker. When: Thursday, Oct 26, 2017 at 3-6pm. All ladies are invited to come see and try on our Halloween Costume 2017 Collection!

Ride out Diabetes
Attention All Cyclist, Professionals and Amateurs, come join us in our 9th annual fund raising ride to help build more awareness on the condition diabetes that continues to claim lives. November 11th & November 12th 2017. Register at the Diabetes Headquarters

St. Francis Xavier Parish - World mission Sunday is today 22nd October
All are invited to 9:00 a.m mass. Following we will be having a procession after the mass, from the church on 4th Avenue, to 3rd Street North to 5th Avenue then to 3rd Street South, then back to 4th Avenue and entering the school grounds for a morning full of activities.

Power outage scheduled for Wednesday, October 25 from 7:00am to 1:00pm to affect the entire area north of Boca del Rio and San Mateo
BEL to install voltage regulators and relocate high voltage power lines on the power distribution system in the area.

Postponed until further notice: power outage previously scheduled for entire Orange Walk District on Sunday, October 22

SMCU Quiz Contest Winners
St. Martin's Credit Union had their annual quiz contest. Congratulations to Crystel Coc and Xander Avilar! They'll go on to the nationals, which are on November 2nd. "Congratulations to the winners of our Annual Quiz Contest held on October 11th 2017 at the Octavia Waight Centre, San Ignacio Town. A big thank you goes out to the 22 schools from San Ignacio/Santa Elena and surrounding villages who participated this year. You all made it a big success. We now go to the Nationals on November 2th, 2017 to bring home the title."

Cayo Haunts for 2017
Halloween is just over a week away, and once again, Cayo's going to have tons of fun events for everyone. RawSpa is having Night Quest come back for their It Came From the Jungle Halloween Rave.  If you missed the Jungle Fever rave, you can catch some amazing music on Saturday. The Belize Botanic Gardens is having their Haunted Garden on Friday.  That should be fun and trippy.  Rotaract is having their annual haunted house at Hode's on Saturday.  Reny's Winga is having a costume contest for kids while Eva's has one for adults, on Saturday at the Cayo Welcome Center. CK's is having a Halloween Bash on both Friday and Saturday!  They're calling it the CK Horror Story, and Cloud 9 will be spinning on Friday. Rotary is having their Masquerade Ball fundraiser. The Princess is having their annual Halloween contest too.

Belize Water Services hereby informs its customers in Orange Walk that they will be experiencing low water pressure in the water supply, Sunday, October 22, 2017 starting at 6:00 a.m.
The area that will be affected is Chan Pine Ridge. This interruption is the result of a scheduled power outage by B.E.L. Due to the outage, customers may experience discoloration when water is restored. Residents of these or nearby areas are advised that water supply should return to normal by 2:00 p.m. If they experience water supply problems after this time, they should immediately call BWS' hotline at 0-800-CALL-BWS (0-800-225-5297) to report it.

Support the Belmopan Cancer Society!
Come out and have some fun on a Sunday night!

The Reporter

Fatal shooting reported
There is a report of a shooting sometime after 6:00 this evening in Belize City, and unconfirmed reports are that the victim has died. The incident, according to the report, occurred in the Lake Independence area and the victim is a man, whose name we withhold until we can confirm his identity with the police.

Harvest for Kids hits bumper crop
Farmers in Spanish Lookout harvested over 2,000 sacks of corn today, in support of the Harvest for Kids initiative, hosted by the organization, Belize Camping Experience (BCE). The harvest gathered eight harvesters and four semi trucks to plow around 37 acres of corn. Alexander Perez, BCE's director, explained that the wet-yield for the harvest was around 80 sacks of corn per acre, but the value will reduce to about 70 sacks once the corn has been dried. The estimated total for the harvest is 2,590 sacks. "This was the best harvest I've ever seen. There wasn't enough room to hold all the corn because it was a bumper crop," Perez said. The farmers said that this is the best harvest that they have seen for this year."

CJ on his own with delivering judgments
The Government of Belize has decided against bringing in judges from the Caribbean to assist Chief Justice (CJ) Kenneth Benjamin in delivering overdue judgements. Attorney General, Michael Peyrefitte explained this week that GOB took the decision to avoid potential backlash from parties outside of the judiciary. Perefitte said the President of the Caribbean Court of Justice had reached out to the CJ, following the news coverage of his backed up workload. The discussion was that two CCJ judges would have come to Belize to help write the judgements, which is a normal occurrence in judicial circles all over the world.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Murder in Lake Independence, Belize City
Minutes ago Belize City recorded yet another murder. The victim was gunned down near Flamboyant Street in the Lake Independence constituency.

BTL CEO makes over US$380,000
At yesterday's house meeting, Leader of Opposition, John Briceno told parliament that BTL's CEO Rochus Schreiber makes over US$380,000 dollars per year. Briceno brought the CEO's compensation package in the parliament debate because of the International Amedment Act introduced in the national assembly for BTL to borrow $35 million dollars to expand its broadband network.

Blogs

Step Out of the Rain and Into CHRISTMAS in Belize City
I need to talk about the elephant in the room. The elephant on the caye, actually� RAIN. It has been a combo platter of grey and drizzly or black and POURING for the last 3 or 4 days. My yard is flooded (we are now toad farmers), there is a chill in the air at night (the temp might dip into the 70s!) and the north road on Ambergris Caye is�swampy. How does this RAINY SEASON thing catch me off guard each year? My favorite weather forecaster Windfinder.com is predicting a north wind for the next few days. And in this wetter season that can mean "weather". As in "we should be seeing some weather". Which means a change from the 300+ days of sun that we usually see. Rain. So to steer my mind towards brighter things - how did I ever make it through an entire season of winter darkness in NYC? - I bring you the beginning of the Christmas season in Belize. The holidays don't need to wait for Thanksgiving around here - no pilgrims idyllically feasted with the native people in this part of the world. Christmas starts early and always at the Macy's of Belize - Mirab's Department Store in Belize City.

International Sourcesizz

Belize gives nod to amend legislation regarding marijuana use
The Belize Parliament has given the green light to the amendment of the Misuse of Drugs Act with bipartisan support. The Dean Barrow government had in August piloted the amendment to the legislation that also provides for monetary and non-recordable penalties for possession on school premises and in specified circumstances make smoking on private premises no longer an offence. The Bill had been referred to the Health and Human Development Committee of the House and Prime Minister Barrow said then it was just the beginning. "I am excited; clearly it is only a first step and a small step, and I know there will be the naysayers; I suspect we are going to hear from the churches. But I feel as both a matter of conviction that it is something good to do, but also that the society as a whole will support it," he said.

Videos

• Skydiving over the Belize Blue Hole! , 8min.

• Early morning dive on the wall, Belize, September 2017, 1min.

• Diving Blue hole of Belize, September 2017, 3min. Dove to 162 feet having extra tank , WT. 86 on the surface , 79 at depth of 162 feet

• MIA AND SAM BELIZE TRIP 2017, 4.5min. Our adventure in paradise... THATCH CAYE RESORT-

• Mayan Shaman's Guide to Medicinal Plants in Belize, 4min. An interview with Martinez, a Mayan shaman we met during a trip to Belize. He tells us about natural medicinal herbs and plants found in Central America.

• K&R Belize Snorkeling 2, 8min. Snorkeling off Caye Caulker Belize October 2017.br>
  • Belize Cave Tour, 4min. Exploring a Mayan cave in Belize.

• K&R Belize Snorkeling, 10min. Snorkeling off Caye Caulker Belize October 2017

• Ryan & Becca - Belize Wedding 2016, 5min.

• Belize Part 3-diving BLUE HOLE, 5min. One of highlights In Belize is Diving Blue Hole.I was lucky enough to fly my drone there while no other boats arrived yet, Underwater you get to see staloctites at 140ft deep and some sharks. On the reefs you see Nassau Groupers,Lots of sharks,Murray Eels and big wall which drops to ABYSS. We were feeding lionfish to groupers,Sharks and to eels, getting them to take over and start targeting lionfish on their own.

• WE FOUND PARADISE IN BELIZE!, 11min. Thank you for watching the last part of our adventure. We spent the rest of our days (in Guatemala) in Flores and visited the stunning Maya ruins of Tikal. Then we traveled on to our last country of the trip: Belize, where we relaxed several days on Caye Caulker. When I look back on the trip now, I can certainly confirm that these last few days were amongst the most enjoyable of the trip and so much fun.