FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe's Woofer: Pooper Scooper
"Mario, what's going on?" I asked, when he answered the phone. Mario is my yard man and handyman, whenever he decides to come to work. Over the years he has become a friend instead of just an employee. "I can't come to work today, Mr. Dennis," he said. "I'm fixing the plumbing at my suegra's house-my mother-in-law. I'll be here two or three days." "What am I supposed to do in the meantime? The fence is only three-quarters painted and the yard is only half-cleaned." "I can send Juney over to help you."

Letter to the Editor: Mr. Homero Escalante thanks supporters
Dear Editor: I wish to thank those who sent flowers and those who expressed their condolences verbally or in writing. A special thanks to all who attended the funeral mass in spite of the weather. Very special thanks to Kay and Chetin Encalada, Clarice and Smiley Nu�ez, Florita Ancona, to the SP Town Board, to Cristina Espejo, to the Sisters of Mercy in Belize City, to Severo Sr. and Jr., Ramon and the CCV. Thank you to the ladies and friends who visited and prayed for Lois, and are still doing so. All these and more were extremely helpful and kind in my hour of need. Thank you all, and God Bless! /s/ Homero Escalante

Doctor Love: Nervous
Dear Doctor Love, I am dating a very sweet girl. We have things in common and I like being with her. My friend told me last night that she is very pretty and she will look for other men so I should not trust her. I know I am not a handsome guy but she says she loves me and is really happy when we are together. We haven't talked about getting married but I think we could except that now I am worried that my friend might be right. I didn't tell her what my friend said but it has stayed in my mind. How can I know that she will not look for another guy? /s/Nervous

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Statement by the Senator representing the NGO Community, Osmany Salas, on the General Revenue Supplementary Appropriation (2016/2017) (No. 3) Bill, 2017
At Wednesday's sitting of the Senate, the General Revenue Supplementary Appropriation (2016/2017) (No. 3) Bill, 2017, was taken through its three readings. The Bill aimed to appropriate "further sums of money for the use of the Public Service of Belize" for the following services: Capital II Expenditure (CAP II) = $6,643,518. Capital III Expenditure (CAP III) = $7,327,580. The CAP II money was for expenditures approved by the Ministry of Finance between May 2016 and August 2017 for Hurricane Earl assistance (Belmopan cleanup and general aid), hurricane assistance (cleanup Belize City), other hurricane assistance (cleanup and general aid - including house materials, house appliances, beds, transport, phone credit, etc.), emergency management (relief supplies & repair, construct 175 houses damaged by Hurricane Earl), and for Mother's Day Appreciation Programme.

Placencia Sidewalk Arts Festival
Belikin Limited Edition Gala Diner at Naia Resort and Spa

EXPO 2018
The Business Chamber of Spanish Lookout has set the dates for the 2018 Spanish Lookout Business Expo for March 2nd and 3rd. A must attend event!

Cayo Race for Conservation 2018
The Belize Wildlife and Referral Clinic's Cayo Race for Conservation was this morning. They had a 5k and a 10k route(from Hode's to Bullet Tree, and back), and the winners of the 10k got a free entry to the Chiquibul Challenge Marathon, which is in 3 weeks. The results are now online. "Here some pictures of todays event. Thank you to Jasmin Ford for these images! Congratulations to all winners and participants (see event page for webscorer results)! Special congratulations to the 10 K winners who qualified for free participation in the Chiquibul Challenge Marathon (18th of February): Junior Chiac (in 44:13 min) and shout out and congrats to BWRC's professional intern and team part-time Team for Conservation member Nuria Holzleg (in 51:44 min). See you in Chiquibul next!"

Closed/Open Reserves
The Institute of Archaeology, National Institute of Culture and History would like to advise all Tour Operators, Hoteliers, Tour Guides and members of the General Public that as of 06 AM Monday January 29, 2018: The NOHOCH CHE'EN and ACTUN TUNICHIL MUKNAL ARCHAEOLOGICAL RESERVES are both CLOSED due to rise in water levels. BARTON CREEK IS ALSO CLOSED DUE TO HIGH LEVELS AT THE RIVER CROSSING. All other reserves are open.

The Reporter

Baker killed and brother injured in explosion
A baker/cyclist was killed and his brother was injured in an explosion at their workplace on Friday morning. The incident happened at Moralez' In and Out Bakery in Sand Hill village sometime around 8:00 a.m., and claimed the life of Alfonso Moralez Jr., who was trying to fix an oven to bake the day's supply for the British Army Training Support Unit Belize (BATSUB). Reports are that the stove exploded - a bang that flung open the oven door violently, hitting Moralez in the head, and hurling him to the ground unconscious. His brother, Alberto Moralez, who was next to him, was also struck in the head by the oven door but survived with a gash on his head.

Toddler reportedly crushed to death
A 2 year-old toddler was reportedly crushed to death on Saturday afternoon in the Cayo district. Police say that sometime around 4:00 p.m., Elba Cruz, 30, was reversing her SUV in a yard in Teakettle village when she accidentally ran over 2 year-old Sophy Reyes. The child was rushed to the Western Regional Hospital where she was pronounced dead on arrival. Police are investigating the incident.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Man shot in Belize City
A man was shot just minutes ago on Belize City's south side. He was standing on Complex Drive when a man on a bicycle rode past and opened fire.

Toddler killed in tragic accident
Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of a toddler. Yesterday evening around 4:00, Teakettle resident Elba Cruz, 30, was reversing her SUV in a yard in Teakettle village, Cayo. While reversing, however, she accidentally ran over 2-year-old Sophy Reyes.

Blogs

International Sourcesizz

Protecting a Caribbean wonder from disappearing in Belize
The largest coral reef in the Americas is under siege. Off the coast of the Central American nation Belize, it is one of the world's great treasures. Just below the surface, a magnificent coral reef spans the entire length of the country. It was declared a World Heritage Site more than twenty years ago. But today, the reef in under attack. Coastal development, oil exploration and rising water temperatures are taking their toll on this jewel of the Caribbean. Correspondent John Zarrella went to Belize to see what's being done to save the reef from ruin.

Triple treat: Supermoon, blue moon and lunar eclipse all coming to a sky near you next week
The first "blue moon" total lunar eclipse since March 1866. Skywatchers will get a rare triple treat Jan. 31: a supermoon, a blue moon and a total lunar eclipse. A blue moon - which occurs about every 2� years - is another term for the second full moon in a single calendar month. January's first full moon occurred Jan. 1. Though the exact moment of this full moon is 8:37 a.m. ET Jan. 31, the moon will appear plenty full for a day or two before and after that.

Videos

• No Bar Code, 21min. Chef Sean Kuylen presented at the TedxBelmopan, and it was all about Belizean food, and not just the standard fare either. From chaya to chocolate to casava, he covers it. You'll love his sense of humor: "Here we are living in Belize, we are craving KFC, McDonald's, and we want Contraband beer, Shelly!"

• 2016- Belize: Cave of Wonders, 1min. Pt. 1 of our Cave Tubing adventures.

• Belize 2018, 3.5min.

• Belize 2018, 11min. Miles Family in Placencia, Belize

• Belize Diving Caye Caulker January 2018, 6min.

• This is Belize - Part 1, 6min. Join my trip around Belize, as we discover some of the hidden gems of the Caribbean.

• Zip Lining in Belize!!!, 4.5min. This is our personal video of our shore excursion in Belize. This excursion included zip lining, ATV, and a Belizean Lunch

• Belize Wild Dolphins, 3min. Wild Dolphins at Ambergris Caye, Belize July 2014

• Belize Turtles 2014 Movie, 7.5min. Belize Turtle compilation, June/July 2014 Ambergris Caye, Belize.

• San Pedro, Belize - Part 2 (Make Memories Travel More), 5min. Our Christmas trip to Belize! Time to have some fun with the fam! In this video, we join the Lady Leslie as they sail to Caye Caulker! On the way, we stop at Hol Chan Marine Reserve and Shark Ray Alley!

• Belize 2018, 1min. Diving Hol Chan, San Pedro, Belize.

• Bacalar - Corozal (Mexico Belize boarder crossing), 10min. Today caution was thrown to the wind and a journey on the bike was made despite the bad knee. It was supposed to be a trip to Chetumel in Mexico but instead a last minute decision was made to just go straight into Belize.

• Belize Sharks June:July 2014, 8min. Belize Sharks compilation, June/July 2014 Ambergris Caye, Belize.

• Caribbean Cruise Vacation Day 5 Belize City, 9min. Day 5 of our cruise on the Norwegian Pearl took us to Belize City Belize. We did not do a shore excursion, just went into the port and hung out a bit and had some lunch. I did enjoy the tinder boat rides to and from the ship. The locals were friendly and we enjoyed our seafood lunch.

• Trip to Belize 2007 Part 1 of 2, 61min. Our trip with my two sons and nephew where we horseback rode, went zip lining, killed cockroaches by the hundreds, and pulled out ticks

• Ambergris Caye - Belize scuba diving, 6.5min. Second half of our trip to Belize in 2017. This time we are diving off Ambergris Caye. Very sharky waters!

• BELIZE TRAVEL VLOG, 23min.

• Diving The Great Blue Hole, Belize, 5.5min. After punching our way through huge surf to get past the reef it was time to embark on a two hour, almost rib breaking rollercoaster ride through turbulent seas out to the Blue hole. There had been strong SSE winds for almost 4 days on the island of Caye Caulker beforehand, which resulted in our first trip to the hole being cancelled two days prior. Determined not to miss the next one, we were prepared to 'tough it out' even if it meant losing our breakfast over the side along the way. It was everything I expected it to be. Big. Round. And spectacular! Our decent was along a sloping sandy bottom to the edge of the drop off into the hole which plummets to a depth of 124mtrs (407ft deep). The real thrill was going over the edge into the unknown having all but dreamt of this moment for such a very long time. To the depths we descended. A weightless moment of controlled freefall with my surroundings becoming darker with each passing metre. A somewhat surreal feeling, almost like narcosis except perfectly alert and in control. That was until the alarm started screeching on my Suunto dive watch indicating that I had reached my maximum pre-set depth (30mtrs- 131ft) It was then that I knew the opening to the cave was near. Almost time for action!

• BELIZE FAMILY BACKPACKING TRIP 2018, 16min. Ambiana, Jakobi, Colleen & Mochi backpacked their way around Belize from Dec.19th 2017 until Jan. 13th 2018. They visited Cay Caulker, Sarteneja, San Ignacio, Hopkins and Belize City. Riding buses, sailboats, ferries and taxis they camped, climbed ruins, explored caves, swam in the ocean, made friends, fell in love with dogs, and celebrated Ambiana's 12th birthday!

• ADVENTURES OF BELIZE | VLOG DIYwithHan, 5min. We stayed at St. George's Caye in Belize, went snorkeling, sunset sailing, Lamanai Mayan hiking, and chilling

• BDF vs Verdes FC (PLB), 2.5hr.