Minister Heredia spoke about the proposed construction of another boat terminal on the island. The development has been proposed to take place in front of Ruby's Hotel which was purchased by the San Pedro Belize Express Water Taxi company in December of last year. The company now wants to build a boat terminal along the beach but the plan for its mega-development is causing many concerns that it has been substantially downsized. Heredia explains:

Manuel Heredia Jr., Area Representative, Belize Rural South

"There was a plans that was done by the now owners of Ruby's that they wanted to do a terminal at that point. There was a plan that was done and when they discussed with the neighbors they were not happy with the plan that they had. They felt that it was too big and it would be encroaching into their property. SO they went back to the drawing board and my understanding is that it is being downsized substantially to be able to do just be right in front where their property stands. I must say that in the future if the channel is build to accommodate the terminal at the back then whatever is over here will have to move over. In the meantime I believe what they are doing now will be substantially less than what they wanted to do. They wanted to do a first class. If you look at the plans it was a class. Even the neighbors said it was a beautiful plan but it is not the right thing for the area. I believe according to my last chat with the is that other than having the winds this side, all of those winds will be eliminated and it will be just the main pier with their terminal, substantially less."

Hipolito Novelo

"Now it has your support?"

Manuel Heredia Jr.

"Not yet. I am saying if the neighbors are in support of it when they come back to it, it will have my support. If the neighbors are not in support, I've always been with my people like what I did with the Cayo Rosario thing. Even today, if they have been given the green light to go ahead, up to now i don't know exactly one hundred percent what is it. I spoke with the Minister responsible and there will be no dredging, there will be no over the water cabanas. And I stand by that also. I will not support anything that my supporters do not like."

Channel 5