FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, Reef TV, KREM, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Belize Now, Talk Ah Di Town, and other specials.

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe's Woofer: Tight Skirt
"Hey, Mr. Dennis." I turned around to see the lovely Tanya, who tends bar at one of Ambergris Caye's best resorts. "Hi, Tanya," I said. "You're dressed mighty fine for a bus trip." Tanya and I were standing in a tightly crowded line for the bus from Belmopan to Belize City. "I had to go to a wedding rehearsal," she said. "I'm gonna' look my best when I'm around a bunch of other bridesmaids."

Doctor Love: Accidental Cheat
Dear Doctor Love, I accidentally slept with my sister's boyfriend and I don't know if I should tell her. It was accidentally because I didn't know they were dating at the time it happened. I met him at a club one night and we went to his place. A few weeks later I went to my sister's and they were all cuddled up on the couch. She says they are dating six months she looked really in love with him. He looked scared I would say something but I just left pretty quick. I am really close with my sister and if it was me, I'd want her to tell me so I don't go with a guy who is a cheater.

Ambergris Today

Tourists In Belize Experience Sea Turtle Rescue After It Swallows A Pufferfish
A group of tourist on a sailing tour shared an experience of a lifetime on Saturday, January 4, 2020, as their captain Horace Bladon and crew of Felicity Sailing saved a 100 pound sea turtle from suffocation after it had swallowed a pufferfish that inflated in its throat. Jenelle Kim shared on her Instagram account the happenings of an experience she describes as an opportunity to truly connect with another life in nature as she and her family witnessed the turtle rescue first hand during a sailing trip back to San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize.

Various Belizean Sources

mzz

Locally Sourced Generation Unit Now in Operation and Supplying Caye Caulker
Belize Electricity Limited (BEL) advises customers in Caye Caulker that the locally sourced generation unit is now in operation and was successfully connected to the island's power system on Sunday, January 5. 2020. Since being brought on line, our teams have been monitoring and assessing the unit's generation capacity and will continue to do so during the week to ensure that the unit functions reliably and consistently.

Crocodile Rehab/Wildlife Rescue
Last month this 2.2m American Morelet's hybrid croc named Triminio (named after Research Biologist Jonathan who helped rescue him), was found ill and lethargic by community members in Corozal. After weeks of veterinary examinations and TLC at The Belize Zoo, we transported Triminio to our rehab enclosures this past Friday at Kutunza Translocation Facility. We will continue to monitor his health, but for now it does seem Triminio is enjoying his new home.

CAWS Low Cost Clinics
The Cayo Animal Welfare Society has their schedule for their 4 days of low cost spay and neuter clinics. January 12th and 13th, and the 14th and 15th, from 8:00am to 2:00pm, at the Santa Elena Sports Complex. They have some guidelines on the flier. "Our clinic is coming soon. We are still very low on bed sheets, pillow cases, towels and any materials that can be used in the animal recovery areas. If anyone has any please contact us, we are able to collect. Please spread the word."

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Canadian model makes a splash in Placencia
Canadian model, Khloe Terae, gave Belize some more time in international media circles this week [�]

British publication hints that direct flights from London to Belize may be coming soon
As Belize consistently establishes itself as the "must-visit" destination in the region, tourist markets all over [�]

Shoplifter unable to avoid prying eyes
Josue Alberto Ibanez, 33, a naturalized Belizean originally from Guatemala, who was caught shoplifting, pleaded guilty [�]

"Borrowed" bike sends Burrell Boom man behind bars
Elias Pech, 52, was in a hurry on December 21 in Burrell Boom, Belize District. [�]

Teachers wearing green tomorrow, sending a message to the Ministry of Education
At the reopening of schools tomorrow, the Belize National Teachers Union (BNTU) is calling on its membership to show up in their green union shirts ...

Additional locally-sourced generation unit is in Caye Caulker
Belize Electricity Limited (BEL) is currently working on a generation unit to keep the island of ...

Blogs

Hi Chiclero! written by: Howard A. Frankson
My grandfather was not a fully-fledged Chiclero, but as a well-rounded farmer, hunter and bush ranger, he was immersed in their world and often represented them in their transactions with city folk and corporations. He would go with them to their camps in the forest, carrying 'provision' to maintain them through the season. In all this he was a quiet man, calm and unassuming, known to the world as "Boss Jim". His wife, my grandmother, was the real power behind the scene, strong and assertive, she was the well-known matriarch "Miss Night", and bore with combative composure, the weight of her large family on her small frame.

Snorkeling the Hol Chan Marine Reserve in Belize
We didn't really have any expectations or even a real idea of what we would see, all we knew was that we were not going to miss out on snorkeling the second largest barrier reef in the world � AGAIN! Last year, we only stayed in Caye Caulker for two nights, underestimating how great snorkeling the barrier reef is, we opted to skip it and do the ATM cave on the mainland instead. Insider Tip: If you are debating about which one to do, do both, they are equally impressive and totally worth the money.

A Battle of Drums
In October 2006, Darius Avila and his mother, Olivia Palacio Avila, came up with an idea to revive and promote the Garifuna culture in Punta Gorda: a competition called "Battle of the Drums." Now a major annual event in Belize, operating under an eponymous non-profit since 2012, the Battle of the Drums takes place on the Saturday immediately preceding November 19, Garifuna Settlement Day, and it's a musical explosion you don't want to miss. Groups made up of six members each descend on Punta Gorda from all over Belize, as well as from Guatemala and Honduras, to compete in five different genres of Garifuna drumming and dance: punta, h�ng�h�ng�, paranda, chumba,and wanaragua.

The AMAZING Location of Barrel Bar Gets a Total New Look by New Owner
Barrel Bar is gone but a new business is rising in its place. To take advantage is this SUPER COOL spot on the lagoon�less than a block from the main road. Surrounded by lagoon, iguanas, big cruising tarpon, a gorgeous mangroves� Ishmael, the owner of the super successful Sandy Toes bar (directly to the east of this location�just a few minute walk) is re-doing the Barrel Bar. But keeping the feel�rustic�over-the-water but BEAUTIFUL. The restaurant won't be open until the end of the year at the earliest�but here is what it looks like!

Family Vacations in Belize
Belize is the perfect destination whether you're travelling alone, with a spouse, friends, or your entire family. There is so much to do here and even more to experience. When planning a vacation for your family, you want to make sure that everyone is considered at every stage of your trip. From where you stay to what you do and even where you eat. This country offers you both beach and jungle environments with a number of resorts and lodges in each. You can choose whether your family wants to be at the beach or the jungle, or maybe both. Belize offers a number of family accommodations; here are a few:

Belize as a Caribbean Country
Belize is considered both a Caribbean country and a Central American country. The main languages in this charming country are English, Creole, Spanish, and Maya. However, in this melting pot otherwise known as Belize, there are many other languages used such as Lebanese, German and Mandarin. Belize offers you the greatest cultural experiences, foods, and travel. Just like other Caribbean countries Belize offers white sandy beaches and the beautiful cerulean blue Caribbean Sea. You can find many similarities in the culture, food, language, weather, people, and music between Belize and other countries in the Caribbean.

International Sourcesizz

Better Belize it
With extraordinary Mayan ruins, rich wilderness and marine life, glorious tropical islands and a hospitality industry built around sustainability, Belize could be Central America's best-kept secret, writes Emily Eastman The road rattles and buckles beneath us as our driver navigates deep ruts, vast stones and puddles of undetermined depth. To call the route to Caracol bumpy would be imprecise; these roads are rugged, stomach-churning, and worth every jolt for the destination: the largest Mayan site in Belize, situated deep in the Mountain Pine Ridge Forest Reserve.

Videos

• Belize Buffet - Tarpon and Permit Fly Fishing!, 4.5min. Belize reveals it's amazing tarpon and permit fishery to us! Phil and I had one of the most outstanding saltwater fly fishing adventures with El Pescador Lodge based in Belize. Each day we targeted tarpon, and each day we jumped and landed multiples. We were presented with many shots at feeding permit each day, and a handful of other flats species. This fishery did not disappoint!

• Destination Belize Beyond The Pages Cockscomb Basin, 4min. Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary (CBWS) is recognized internationally as the world's first jaguar preserve. It is also known for its spectacular waterfalls, mountain views, nature trails, and rich diversity of neotropical birds.

• Washed Up on Glover's Reef Atoll, 4min. When was I diving on Glover's Reef Atoll recently, off the Belize mainland, I could not help but notice the large amount of plastics washed up on the shoreline. Of course, tragically, this is a global problem; plastics are now found everywhere, in all of our planet's oceans. But since Glovers Reef Atoll is quite a remote location, it was a good, (sad), demonstration of the problem. So, I decided to record and recover as much plastic off of 30 metres of shoreline as I could, and then, I weighed it. What I recovered added up to 8 kilograms of all kinds of plastics.

• A journey to San Pedro Columbia/Belize, 17min.

• Inselwelt von Belize + Caye Caulker - Aida Luna Karibik & Mexiko 1 / Schnorcheln in der Karibik, 6min. Tolle Inseln, die Mangroven und das zweitgr��te Riff der Welt. Das zentralamerikanische Belize ist ein karibisches Paradies f�r Erlebnishungrige. Trips in den Tropenwald, tollk�hne Spr�nge ins Wasser, Majaruinen sowie das l�ngste Riff der Nordhalbkugel k�nnen hier erkundet werden.

• Scuba Diving Belize 2019, 7min. Scuba diving vacation to Belize, featuring bull sharks, spotted eagle rays, and more! Other highlights include flats fishing for permit and bonefish, and exploring San Pedro on Ambergris Caye.

• My Trip To San Pedro Belize, 7min.

• DIRTY 30 IN BELIZE!, 13min.

• Belize - Caye Caulker, 6min. Vacation on Caye Caulker.

• Epic Bonefish Permit Tarpon Fly Fishing | Belize, 28min. Tom Rosenbauer and Mark Melnyk travel to southern Belize to fly fish for bonefish, permit and tarpon at Tarpon Caye Lodge.