FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, Reef TV, KREM, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Belize Now, Talk Ah Di Town, and other specials.

The San Pedro Sun

Doctor Love: Out Cold
"As tough as this may be to accept, she doesn't seem that into you. Whether it's regret, disenchantment or she has moved along, if she wanted you, she'd be texting or bumping into you all over town. She sounds pretty popular, so shyness isn't likely to be a factor for her sudden lack of communication."

Wolfe's Woofer: Fisherman's Secret
"Happy birthday Don Carlos. Happy birthday to you!" The crowd at Se�or Garza's 103rd birthday party clapped and cheered. The old fisherman was one of the first people I met on Ambergris Caye many years ago and I was there to help show how much we loved and respected him. His oldest daughter, Carlita said, [�]

Various Belizean Sources

mzz

Influential Women on Caye Caulker: Mrs. Ilna Alamina Auxillou
Mrs. Ilna Alamina Auxillou is a legend for the island of caye caulker. Recounting her contribution to society, she has played a big roll in the education system by being a teacher for the past 46 years of her life. Not only here on the island, but also in the main land. She was the first principal at the Caye Caulker RC school and a teacher at a number of other educational institutions such as First local Ladyville RC School, Holy Redeemer school, Math tutor to pupil teachers in training , English teacher at St. John's College Extension adult education classes , Edward P Yorke high school and vice principal at Gwen Lizarraga high school. Mrs. Ilna has served the Community by being the president of the Caye Caulker community development committee and until recently, maintained the children's park.

Influential Women on Caye Caulker: Miss Seleny Villanueva-Pott
We end off our recognition of Caye Caulker super star women with Miss Seleny Villanueva-Pott, current chair person of the Caye Caulker Village Council and proud Owner of Prescription Value Pharmacy. Miss Seleny is no stranger to the community and is always willing and ready to lend a helping hand. She enjoys organizing fundraisers for individuals who are in need of medical attention. She obtained her diploma in Pharmacy in 2008, and has been serving the island for the past three years when she opened her establishment in 2017. She also won the title of Miss Lobsterfest in 2002 and served as the vice chair in the previous village council. Miss seleny is indeed a well respected woman in the eyes of our people.

Juan Carnaval throughout the town of San Ignacio and Santa Elena
Pictures from the Juan Carnaval parade yesterday evening through Cayo. Juan carnaval was practiced by the Mestizo Culture in 1950, 1960 and lastly in 1970, here in Cayo ,by Migrants who came from Chetumal Qroo(Maria ,Amorna,Roguel Martinez and Carmita Reyes), whom happened to be family to my Grandparents (Santiago Arguelles who migrated from Ixcalac Mexico).The above mentioned were seamstresses, so they created all the clothing for the carnaval at that time.My mother Isabel Concepcion Arguelles Moreno, was only 11 years old when she participated, together with her sisters Vitalia and Maricela Arguelles.Their Carnaval was comically musical.My mother sung us to sleep every night as kids with the carnival songs(La molina,Pichetito,El toro,La Negra Tomasa,el Pitorial,la Culebra y la cancion del Carnaval ),which represented the mestizo Culture, their clothing and Dance.This Mestizo cultural practice was lost in the 1970's.

FCD Environmental Youth Group Kids Mentorship Program
FCD Environmental Youth Group conducted its first day of the Kids Mentorship Program being held at Sams's Community Park which will be carried out in a series of session. Today kids had the opportunity to have fun learning about Planet Earth and how humans used to live back then and their evolution as humans. Through this session kids had the opportunity of envisioning earth as we see it today and how they would like to see it y painting their imaginations. They role-played environmental scenarios using materials around them, they also had presentations on best practices and received further information through informative videos on the protection of our environment.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

CARICOM chair calls for lawful completion of the electoral process in Guyana
The Caribbean Community (CARICOM) has issued a statement calling on the electoral officials in Guyana [�]

Today is International Women's Day
Today, March 8, 2020, is international women's day. The event is being celebrated around the [�]

Cold front sustains cool and windy conditions
The National Meteorological Service of Belize says that weather conditions today will continue to be cool and windy [�]

Coronavirus deaths spike in Italy, virus now in over 100 countries
The latest situational report on the novel coronavirus strain (COVID-19) issued by the World Health [�]

Blogs

6 Cool Treats in Belize
Beat Belize heat with some yummy treats to quench that dry palette. Check out these 6 cool, fresh, frozen and refreshing goodies that are unique to our sizzling country.   On a hot and humid Belizean day, the sound of the ice cream truck jingles has us desiring like a child a yummy and cool treat. Just the thought of the frozen and fresh snow cone melting on your tongue sounds heavenly and brings our body temperature a few degrees down. These goodies are a win with the whole family. Here are a few of the cool treats Belize has available: Paletas or Belizean popsicles, Chocobananos, Ice or Snowcone, Coconut Water, Ideal, Frozen Custard. 

Inaugural Football Parade of the NSC and FFB Tournament 2020 was held on Sunday March 8TH, 202
The "INAUGURAL FOOTBALL PARADE of the NSC & FFB Youth Tournament 2020" parade was held on Sunday, March 8TH, 2020. It began at 10AM in Infront of the Corozal Central Park and concluded at the Ricalde Stadium. Today, The Inaguaral of NSC and FFB Youth Tournament held its closing season of 2019-2020 (Corozal FA). The Public was invited to attend the game after the parade at the Ricalde Stadium. The first game began at 10:40AM.

A Saturday morning View from Corozal March 7TH, 2020
Across the International Rio Hondo Bridge, you will find Belize's, Free Zone. Commerce was established in 1994 by Belize in the district of Corozal, in order to attract foreign investment seeing as to how the businessmen are allowed to function without having to pay taxes. Although in the beginning, the inhabitants of Chetumal would go just to fill their gas tanks, which was far cheaper, rather than to visit the 20 stores. However these days there are more than 300 businesses and they continue to expand in this commercial zone and attract thousands of buyers from all over Mexico.

Honoring Belize's Female Heroes
With March 8th being International Women's Day, we thought it would be fitting to highlight two of the women who marked Belize and left a legacy. We honour Gwen Lizarraga and Cleopatra White. Have a safe and fun weekend in Belize everyone. Born to Sidney Smith and Guadalupe Baeza on July 11, 1901 in Maskall Village, Gwendolyn Lizarraga was a successful business owner, outspoken politician, and women's rights activist. Madam Liz - as she is known to Belizeans - was the first woman to serve as a government minister in Belize (then British Honduras). She operated a chicle and mahogany farm, eschewing convention by driving a land rover, wearing pants, carrying a gun and smoking cigarettes. Can you imagine what a sight that must have been? Talk about a trailblazer! By contrast, we have a hero in Nurse Cleopatra White, who was born in June 1898 in British Honduras. Following the death of her mother, she would be raised by her father until she entered school for nursing. A dedicated community helper all her life, White became inspired by Nurse Vivian Seay's work, and the two were instrumental in forming the Belizean branch of the Black Cross Nurses. White's system for village councils in the management of hurricane preparations have been a model for villages across Belize. Her leadership and nursing skills, as well as her social work made her a leader in her country, and deserving of the honor of being a Belizean Hero.

Snorkeling in Caye Caulker, Belize - Hol Chan Marine Reserve
Hol Chan Marine Reserve is one of the top snorkeling destinations in Caye Caulker Belize, and once you take a dip in the water, you'll understand why. Home to turtles, manatees, nurse sharks and vibrant coral the water is warm and crystal clear. When visiting Belize, no trip is complete without a visit to the Belize Barrier reef - the largest barrier reef in the northern hemisphere. Here's what you need to know about snorkeling in Caye Caulker.

Back to the Island!
After spending an extended period of time in the states visiting kids and grandkids, I returned to Ambergris Caye this week. Anyone who has traveled to Belize is well aware there may be a few of your favorite things you cannot find here on the island. Knowing I will stay for at least a few months before returning to the states, I checked the additional bags, filled to the brim with my favorite things. By the time I arrived, I was second guessing this decision. My first sign should have been the need to sit on the suitcases to zip them, as I desperately wanted to bring my favorite bamboo pillow.

The First Humans in Belize
Since the first stone arrowheads were discovered in Clovis, New Mexico in the 1920s, archeologists have been working to understand how early humans first came to the Americas. A new DNA study that compared modern genomic information to that recovered in several ancient sites across the Americas has now revealed that human beings entered Belize in several separate migrations. Scientists have long known that ancient humans crossed a land bridge from what is now Siberia into northwestern Canada some 16,000 years ago. But by comparing ancient DNA with different modern population groups, scientists have learned that there were actually two different groups which reached America from Asia.

Discover Billy Barquedier National Park in Southern Belize
Originally declared a national park in 2001, Bill Barquedier National Park is as well known for gorgeous waterfalls located in the watershed that provides several communities with drinking water as it is for huge community of animals, many of which are listed on vulnerable or endangered species lists. You may not spot them, but within park boundaries live jaguars, tapirs, ocelots and everyone's favorite Belize characters: howler monkeys.

International Sourcesizz

NY Times Quiz: How Much Do You Know About Belize?
Belize is a Central American country located between the southeastern tip of Mexico and Guatemala. It has a population of about 375,000 and its capital is Belmopan.

Videos

• Coverage Day 3 of the Belikin La Ruta Maya Belize River Challenge�, 3hr48min.

• Continued coverage of Day 3 of the Belikin La Ruta Maya�, 2hr29min.

• Continued Coverage Day 3 of the Belikin La Ruta Maya�, 2hr44min.

• International Women's Day message from our Special Envoy, 2.5min. Happy International Women's Day to all our wonderful Belizean women. We join the world in the movement of International's Women's Day with the hope of achieving equality, ending complete discrimination and gender based violence. Let's celebrate the women of our Isla Bonita, our beautiful country Belize and the world! May you all continue being the amazing women that you are.

• Inaugural Football Parade NSC and FFB Youth Tournament 2020, 2min. Sunday, March 8TH, 2020 a parade was held in front of the Corozal Central Park. To celebrate the Inaugural Football Parade NSC and FFB Youth Tournament 2020

• The Children Advisory Board meeting was Friday, and Mayor Trapp spoke, 10min. Mayor Earl Trapp Jr., delivering his welcome addressat this year's Children Advisory Board 4th Annual President's meeting.

• BIG CATFISH | River Fishing On Canoe | Belize, 6min.

• Walking around the Expo in Spanish Lookout in Belize with Laura and Olivia, 3min.

• Day 1, Belikin La Ruta Maya Belize River Challenge, 8min. See the start of the race at the Hawksworth bridge in San Ignacio, Belize.

• Day 3, Belikin La Ruta Maya Belize River Challenge, 3min. Watch the start of the 3rd day of the race leaving Double Head Cabbage.

• Belize - Our Second Dive - Hamanasi Dive Resort - Feb 2020, 38min.

• Boat Tour to Lamanai Mayan Ruins in Belize, 4min. This is a boat tour on the New River to Lamanai Mayan Ruins. I did it as an excursion from Orchid Bay Resort in northern Belize.

• On a Mennonite buggy in Belize, 4min.

• Permit fishing Tobacco Caye Belize, 5min. Permit fishing the flats Tobacco Caye Belize. Guide Earl Godfrey Sr. Camera man Earl Godfrey Jr.

• Our TOP 6 Food Options - San Pedro, BELIZE, 2.5min. Here is our list in no specific order! Will Mitchell and the RE/MAX Belize team go around and look at some of their favorite places ... Here is our list in no specific order! Will Mitchell and the RE/MAX Belize team go around and look at some of their favorite places to eat in San Pedro Belize. We picked our personal go to locations and there is so much more on Ambergris Caye but hopefully this should give you an idea! Juice Dive - Healthy Breakfast and Lunch + Fresh Juice. Jyoto Sushi - Sushi bar + Ramen. AKbol - Healthy Options + Yoga. Truck Stop - Quick Bar Eats and Best hang out. Victoria House - Fancy Dinner. Patz - Sandwhiches + Breakfast.

• Belizean Stew Fish, 42min.

• Belizean Meat Pies, 23min. I only make Belizean Meat Pies a couple times a year because they are so rich and so delicious. I made a batch for Jada's coworkers and had leftovers so Josh and I did an eating show