Today we think of the cayes as a place of relaxation but a few of them were used as isolation or quarantine stations in the early 1900s.
The 1925 Handbook of British Honduras lists several isolation or quarantine stations in Belize at the time. These were located at Newton Barracks in Belize City, Stann Creek, Punta Gorda, Corozal, Moho Caye, Sergeant's Caye and Holmes Caye. Moho Caye was used during th 1918 Influenza outbreak. Holmes Caye was used as an isolation station for labourers working on the fruit ships. During the Yellow Fever outbreak in 1921, Sergeant's Caye was purchased by the Government.
Sergeant Caye was also used as a "Health Resort" by prominent citizens. The rental fee for 24 hours was $2.00 and $1.00 for each subsequent hour. Princess Margaret also stayed on the island during her visit in 1958. Hurricane Hattie (1961) reduced the island to the sand bar it is today
National Institute of Culture and History