Jasmin & Jemmott: Tears At the Water Taxi

Wednesday morning, Jasmine Hartin goes back to the Supreme Court with attorney Godfrey Smith to apply for bail. The 32 year old Canadian is accused of the negligent manslaughter of Superintendent Henry Jemmott - and the prosecution has objected to bail, contending that she is a flight risk. So tomorrow, Senior Crown Counsel, Shanice Lovell is expected to present submissions to back up that objection to bail.

The event is expected to be a media circus - attracting the same kind of intense media coverage that presiding Justice Herbert Lord had complained about at last week's hearing.

And, as we told you last night, that media scrutiny has now ventilated many details of what is believed to be Hartin's caution statement to police.

The British paper, known as The Mail on Sunday has laid out the entire details of the accident as she told it to police.

In the article, their meeting on the Matarocks pier in San Pedro on May 27th was depicted as, quote, "an innocent reunion with an old friend - one who sought only to protect her."

But, tonight 7News has video evidence which suggests that the two had been together a week earlier in Belize City - and - according to eyewitnesses - Jasmine Hartin wasn't acting as if she'd just met with an old friend or protector.

This surveillance video from San Pedro Belize Express Water Taxi shows a minivan dropping a woman - sources tell us is Jasmin Hartin - at the water taxi at 5:53 am on May 22nd. The driver - who sources tell us is Jemmott - pulls up - asks an employee when the first boat to San Pedro is leaving. He tells the man in the van, presumably Jemmott - it's 8:00 am. Hartin exits the minivan and enters the terminal.

She enters and turned to sit on a bench next to the cargo area. Sources tell us that's where she started crying inconsolably, and she had to be comforted by employees in the area. Sources say she cried for some time after that.

What was the cause for her breakdown is unsure - but the report in the Daily Mail says that she had been at a party in Belmopan and Jemmott had to drive 50 miles to rescue her. When they met in San Pedro one week later, it's unclear whether the issue that prompted the crying had been ironed out.

Inmate Hartin, Alone, But For Her Own Protection

But, tonight Jemmott is dead and Hartin has been in custody or at prison for almost two weeks.

She's completing 8 days at the Kolbe Foundation's Belize Central Prison, It's been called one of the World's toughest prisons. And this week it became famous or rather infamous when it admitted its most high profile inmate to date.

It's a series of events that's left the prison's C.E.O Virgilio Murillo a man in much demand. Forced to field request after request from international media outlets who are desperate for even a glimpse of the blonde behind Kolbe's bars.

But Murillo has been unrelenting, telling local media yesterday that he's not about to let anyone in to scrutinize his prison now when the media has never wanted to do so before. And this morning via Zoom he spoke to Cherisse Halsall about the rights and privileges currently enjoyed by inmate Hartin and why every decision made with the prison walls is in the interest of her safety and well-being.

Cherisse Halsall:
"I'd like to start if possible with you telling us whatever you can, with whatever you feel comfortable discussing Miss Jasmine Hartin's first days at the Kolbe foundation?"

Virgillio Murillo, C.E.O., Kolbe Foundation
"Well, I cannot speak to that."

Cherisse Halsall:
"At all?"

"Absolutely, I'm not with her so I don't know what she's experiencing and I won't get into it. I won't try to figure out or speculate anything at all."

Cherisse Halsall:
"So there were some concerns over the weekend and we did hear, within the statement from ACP Myvette yesterday, he said Miss Hartin had access to family members. In your opinion does that mean, while she was at San Pedro or when she came to you."

"I don't know which one of us doesn't understand the English language. I saw an article in the Sun and I thought that the Sun had dispelled the rumor that she was visited by families, I understood it clearly that no families have come, I'm not too sure that it's a trick question, trying to see if we are lying or not, whatever you saw in the sun is accurate so let's confine ourselves to that please."

Cherisse Halsall:
"International media has largely focused on calling the Kolbe Foundation one of the World's worst prisons, now we as local media, we've been there. I have actually in the past few months been inside the female facility and in my opinion I can say, it's quite a nice place, just a few houses that these women are traversing between but nothing like what the perception of a jail cell would be. What's your reaction to your prison being called one of the worst in the world?"

"Cherisse, I don't pay attention to negativity, There's a good old saying that says if you think education is expensive, try ignorance and that is pretty much, that is all I can say about these international media houses, obviously they are very ignorant and I don't need to prove or disprove anything. You are locals and you know more or less what is going on with this prison you've been here more than once."

Cherisse Halsall:
"Now Sir, there are claims coming from within your prison about some special treatment, they say that Miss Hartin gets to recreate on her own, how would you answer that?"

"Anything that Miss Hartin gets in terms of rights and privileges that she's entitled to under international norms, please understand foremost, her safety is important. It's paramount, as a matter of fact, every prisoner convicted our remanded safety comes first, their safety is paramount. People don't come to prison to die, people come to prison to serve out a sentence given by the court and our job is to ensure that they are not killed, they are not harmed or what have you."

Cherisse Halsall:
"So, in fact, if Ms. Hartin is recreating by herself that would be to ensure that the other prisoners do her no harm?"

"I would imagine so. It just makes a hell of a lot of logical sense, doesn't it."

Cherisse Halsall:
"It does."

Cherisse Halsall:
"Now, Sir I think one of the last things I'll ask you tomorrow is the next bail hearing so of course there's a lot of questions swirling, it's COVID time, they can certainly do it virtually. Are there plans to bring her down to Belize City or will she stay right there as this bail hearing is heard?"

"I do not determine whether the prisoner is brought into the court in person or their trial or their trial is done virtually, that is a determination for the court. So I cannot speak to that, at the spur of the moment we will do what we have to do to get that person before the judge."

Murillo also told us that the prison isn't there to judge anyone but to ensure that whatever the judge issues in terms of a sentence, they are quote: "Alive and well and can stand up and face their charges."

Channel 7