Jasmine's Day One On the Outside

It's been a little more than 24-hours since Jasmine Hartin was released on bail from the Belize Central Prison.

And since then questions have abounded about Belize's most famous manslaughter suspect and how she's settling back into life on the outside.

Tonight Cherisse Halsall takes a look at those first 24 hours and we ask questions of our own about Hartin's bail, the conditions of that bail, and why the DPP chose manslaughter over murder:

The next chapter of Jasmine Hartin's life under the glare of public scrutiny has begun and it started yesterday afternoon when she left the Hattieville prison under an improvised shroud amidst the din of clicking camera shutters and the shout of a reporter, the first she's heard but certainly not the last.

From there she was whisked off presumably to San Ignacio where her attorney has indicated to police, she will remain while she is out on bail.

But she has to check into the police station every day.

And that started at 7:00 this morning where she checked in at the same police station where her friend turned victim Henry Jemmott was formerly the officer commanding.

The irony of this is magnified by the fact that Hartin is now resident in the same town that Jemmott called home.

Of course, we know that Hartin and Jemmott's friendship had some resonance in the west where on May 21st he is believed to have saved her from an uncomfortable or threatening situation at a party in Belmopan. Jemmott drove a reported 50 miles to go and pick her up where one of his friends says she was highly intoxicated and that he found her staggering out into the street.

That rescue ended here at the San Pedro Belize Express where he dropped her off a few minutes to 6:00. He's seen asking an employee entering the terminal what time is the first boat. She walks in to take a seat, and according to eyewitnesses cries inconsolably for over an hour.

What caused the crying? There are many theories but no one can say for sure.

And while the country makes guesses about the missing pieces of the puzzle in the case of Jasmine and Jemmott, another question on the mind of every Belizean is that charge of Manslaughter.

Was it fair? And would the average citizen to commit such a crime get the same treatment? We put that question to two attorneys, one the Minister of police and the other the former attorney general.

Hon. Kareem Musa - Minister of Home Affairs
"In a case of manslaughter by negligence, it is expected that you would get bail. I don't know of anyone who is currently behind bars for a case of manslaughter by negligence, if they apply to the supreme court they would be granted bail and of course, they look at all the factors, whether you're a flight risk and all of that, but like I said, I don't know of anybody who is currently on remand for manslaughter by negligence, it's a bailable offense."

Micheal Peyrefitte - Former Attorney General
"It would be dishonest of me not to at least say what I think in this case. I mean it's hard to from my experience, most people from who I have known to be in the system you injure somebody like that the charge is murder. So, it's a legitimate question to ask why is it in this case, the charge is not murder.

Jules Vasquez
"Suppose he had pulled the trigger "accidentally", quote, on her, do you think he would have been charged with manslaughter by negligence?"

Micheal Peyrefitte
"If he had shot her, if it had been the reverse, he would have been charged for triple murder. I mean, I mean, that's the thing it's a legitimate question."

Jules Vasquez
"So, you believe race and power are at play here?"

Micheal Peyrefitte - Former Attorney General
"Absolutely. I'm not saying that's what's at play but it is a legitimate question to ask."

As we've told you Hartin's bail was set at $30,000.00 and one surety.

The 8 conditions of that bail are: That she immediately surrender her passport and any other travel and identification documents to the Court Registrar until the conclusion of the case, That she does not leave the jurisdiction except with permission from the court via an application, That she attends each adjournment as set by the Magistrate in San Pedro until the matter is completed, that she abide by a curfew to be at her place of residence between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. daily until the matter is disposed of.

Additionally, she is to report to the San Ignacio police station once daily between 7 a.m. and 5 pm.; she is not to engage in any conduct to hinder, impede or otherwise obstruct the investigation. Any breach of the terms of the order will result in the immediate revocation of bail.

Channel 7