Hi Jpv1! Yes, I've been to both, but PV a very long time ago. AC is a very different environnment from the old PV I loved (and went to two or three times), than what I understand it is now. There is an island off PV you could check into, used to be called Yelapa or Yalapa, we went there and it was very restful. Also, a small town north of Zihautenejo (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) that I just heard is great. If you want to know, I can check that out for you (old Pan Am sales agents never die, they just keep selling, even for free).

My husband, too, has been working like a dog the last two years. Usually, we alternate AC with another, more difficult trip, but his partner has very aggressive cancer and my husband just needed a rest from the extra hours he's put in. We dive, but you can just rest, too. He was sleeping 13 hours a night the first few days, very unlike him. The hotel we like is quiet. Hence, AC the last two years in a row. But, this is our 'nest', we always come back. I highly recommend it. Anyone who knows me on this site, knows I'm going to say......here I go again......Paradise Resort Hotel. Very quiet and restful place. Old time Belize. Once in AC, you can do whatever you darn well please. If you want to just lop around, believe me, the place is made for it. Ask for rates on V2 or V3, about $130. You have a nice porch to lop on, covered in bouganvilla, and old time wood lounges when you want to chance the sun (early or late, or you will be sorry). They have other rooms down to the mid $70.00's. If you feel active, you can get any number of people to take you snorkeling, fishing or learn to scuba. I'm fond of the folks at Bottom Time. If not, just lay around and chill. I'm a really active person, and what I love about it, is that a woman can hoof down the beach at the crack of dawn or in the evening, and be totally safe. You're gonna love it!

Re the water, as long as you are inside the reef, its usually pretty calm. It can get worked up, but if you are just swimming or snorkeling, its not a problem. Do remember, swimming does have its problems. There are beaches, but you may have to walk around the corner to get there. Have a wonderful time!