It's just a part of Belize that makes us bond to the place. Now that I've returned back to the rat race here in Texas, I want the chance to discuss this and see if anyone else has noticed this. Negitive people just go to the next post, your the types who keep your head down.

Those who have been there hopefully can recall whenever they crossed the path of a local that there was normally eye contact, a head nod, and maybe a greeting. In my first trip to AC and the mainland for three weeks my kids and I opened up and would always expect the greeting and return it in kind. Now that were back home we notice how few people will even do the first part which is some eye contact.

I think it's a part of where you have lived. In Portland, OR the greeting was geniune and here in Texas most people are in cars so that shield keeps a distance. When in big east coast citys I find myself keeping a distance for safety reasons. Atlanta and the south is a little better. Not being well traveled I don't have the best base to sample from. If you just stayed at a resort and ventured only to the bars, I'd question weather you were able to see the people of Belize.

The only people I met in Belize and Guatemala who made no eye contact were the non-natives, tourboat tourists were the worst. Even the ex-pats, I past several, and rarely had eye contact.

Now for my questions.
Did you notice the difference while in Belize? Have I described it correctly?
Is it just us "rat race folks" protecting ourselves?
Where else have you seen the openness?