Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I was on the caye last week, and we had to use the new polyclinic. My wife woke up with a swollen mass on her neck (just above the collar bone) the size of a large lemon. We are both nurses and knew what to look for. No scary problems, but concerning because it was so close to her trachea. I gave her 50 mg of Benadryl and decided that a local medico should take a look. I have no clue what creepy crawlers are around, or what marine life could have been responsible.

Dr. Rodriguez evaluated her quickly. The place was very clean, very open, air conditioned and a competent triage nurse met us at the door. Cost was "whatever we wanted to contribute" (you drop it in a little cash box right at the triage station. I spoke privately with the nurse and she told us that locals who could afford to donate usually give $10 BZ. We left a $100 BZ).

We never got a definitive answer, but the physician agreed that it was most likely a sting of some sort. He thought the Benadryl was a good idea. My wife was fine, and back to normal, the next day. Dr. Rodriguez saw us in down town San Pedro the next day and hurried across the street to check on my wife (curbside care...cool!).

I later spoke with him and worked out a way for us to help the clinic. We American healthcare providers are very wasteful. I work at an academic medical center. If we open an outside sterile wrapper, and the inside package and needed item (let's say suture material) still is protected and sterile, we throw it away. Not any longer.

My wife works at another hospital, and we are going to collect the medical supplies (which are still perfect to use), and we are sorting, inventorying and shipping them over to San Pedro.

If anyone needs advice on what items could be useful, email me ([email protected]). I can go over your items with you. You can ship them to:

Dr. Otto Rodriguez
Lion's Club PolyClinic II
San Pedro Town, Belize

Please fax the inventory directly to Dr. Rodriguez before sending. His fax # is: 011-50-1-226-2852. Mark the package "Donated Medical Supplies", and put a copy of the inventory in the package. Following this procedure closely helps the good doctor deal with Belize Customs.

The PolyClinic provide a lot of free services to the poor in the area, and the Lion's Club have their hands full just maintaining the physical plant. Medical supplies are expensive and hard to come by for the clinic, and this would be a wonderful project to grab on to.

C'mon...be a hero and recycle at the same time.

I'll put feelers out........good job smile

OP Offline
Thanks NYGal. I have received some direct email, and I think the healthcare providers reading the forum are interested. If we can even keep the donation project going for a year, the PolyClinic would benefit greatly.

Great idea, 'daks man. I see you're hooked on Belize like the rest of us now.... wink

Shipping gets expensive - who's got the connections out there?

C
C
The Lions club has a list on thier website (//www.ambergriscaye.com/lionsclub/index.html) that outlines several needs for the clinic. It includes many common over-the-counter meds. Last summer we bought generic Benedyl and Claritin and brought it down in our luggage. We had it in a separate box, with a print out of the web page. We only spent about $75 and were able to fill a good size box by shopping at Costco. The girl at customs took an extra couple of minutes (and we were very careful to say "medication" not "drugs" :-)) but passed us through after asking about them.

We are going back down this summer (to get married, YAY) and will have an extra suitcase, so could take along a pretty good amount if anyone in the Northwest has any supplies for the clinic to donate.

What a great cause, nobody knows when they might need the medical attention themselves. I will bring what I can next trip. Thanks Adirondack!

Congrats Coreen, what a great place to get married, if you are into that sort of thing wink

I also work in healthcare. We get lots of drug reps in (gyn office). Do you think they might want any birthcontrol samples? I am heading to AC in May-could bring if I can get them through customs.

S
S
Definitely!!! Bring 'em!

When my newborn was ill the hospital did not have any newborn sized needles, blood pressure cuffs, etc, etc. His iv's were splinted to his arms with tounge depressors.

The land of innovation due to necessity.

Many of you may think - there's no way anybody could use this - think again. We can use just about anything - 10 different ways!

Hi Amanda and everyone else, I still am trying to find out if I can volunter my services as a trained Dental Assistant. I have been woking with dentists for many years. I have packed my uniforms, and when we move next month,I would like to help out where ever I can. After all why should people who move to Belize enjoy all that Belize has to offer, without giving something back. If you move there, give what you can and do what you can to make Belize better. Sooooo anyone needing any help, anywhere just let us know. Robert and Joy Phage

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 338 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.