Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#101242 04/19/05 11:09 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Hi I am going to AC this June with my boyfriend, both of us love diving but we are beginning divers. We got certified last year and only have one dive trip under our belt at the Caymans last year (12 dives). We really enjoy the sport and plan to do it a lot when we are in AC.

1) We are planning to go to the Blue Hole trip. I understand that you do 2 really good dives afterward so we are definitely going. I guess the only question is should we try diving the blue hole or just snorkle it (sit it out)? Do you think it's safe for novice to dive it?

2) We are into top-side photography and would like to rent an underwater digital camera with housing for one day or two to try it out during the local dives. Do you know if any dive shop offers it on AC? Can I buy insurance for it in case it floods?

Thanks so much!

#101243 04/19/05 11:34 PM
contact Amigos Del Mar, they are by far the best and will take excellent care of you. The Blue Hole Trip is amazing. It is such an amazing dive in my opinion, and not worth snorkeling. An your opportunity to see sharks, how amazing! I really enjoyed it

#101244 04/20/05 12:27 AM
I have to correct your advice ke.
Snorkling the Blue Hole is absoultely amazing! It is an underwater garden plus the fish. I have done the trip 3 times, don't dive, just snorkle.
And the stop at Half Moon Caye is the icing on the cake... smile
Protech have the camera you are looking to rent. They are also a very professional shop to dive with.

#101245 04/20/05 08:45 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks for all of your quick responses. I love diving and I know Blue Hole is like the dive-cult "must-do" thing. I definitely want to dive it but I am just wondering if it's too dangerous for someone with my level of experience. I am just concerned about safety. Do you think the Blue Hole is do-able for me? Is it too advance for me?

I will definitely check out ProTech when I get to the island....

#101246 04/21/05 07:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
On the Blue Hole dive, I really do think you should not do it unless you are reasonably competent and confident. What is the point of doing a dive that at the least you don't enjoy, and quite possibly scares you witless? It's a great dive if you're up to it, but not otherwise.

That said, if you want to do it but feel too inexperienced then get a good instructor to take you on some local dives to those sorts of depths (130+) beforehand. He/she can then advise you as to whether they recommend it.

#101247 04/21/05 09:09 PM
U
U
Have things changed in diving certifications?

It used to be you were not certified to go deeper than 60 feet with just your open water certification. Seems a little reckless recommending fsirly inexperienced divers go down to 100'.

#101248 04/22/05 10:46 AM
S
S
if you think you can dive the Blue Hole, you probably can. they will have alot of instructors in the water with you. Take your time, watch your gauges, relax, have fun. It is pretty organizied affair. We went with amigos last year. Dove with Pro-tech for local dives. Amigos has the best big boat for a long trip, IMHO. They had about 5 people in the water for about 15 divers. I would say most of the people on the dive fell into your catagory. There isn't any current to worry about, you won't get lost, so slow down relax and enjoy the scenery! and watch your gauges, computers would be helpful, but most likely you'll go into deco (I did), but just take your time follow your computer (you may want to read the instructions ahead of time). The Dm's won't let you get into trouble, and it will be great! If you dove GC, you should be fine.

#101249 04/22/05 10:54 AM
Anybody that is a new diver with only one dive trip in their log book has no business diving the Blue Hole and, IMO , no credible dive operator should take them on the Blue Hole dive. It is practices like this that is why there are bodies at the bottom of the Blue Hole and business for the chamber. frown

#101250 04/22/05 11:57 AM
This is from an earlier IRM post regarding the BH dive. I think it makes alot of sense (and not just because he is my sweetie!)

"To dive BH you should have at least 20 -25 dives under your belt. My partner and I got certified last July. We did our 4 open water cert. dive and 7 additional dives in preparation for our Aug trip to AC. We dove for two weeks with Protech and decided to dive BH a couple of days before the end of our stay. My partner was a little skittish about the dive, but got she got on board. That said, it was one of the greatest moments of our lives. The cave ceiling is at 110' so you'll drop down to around 130'. It's a brief 8 min. swim through and then back to a safety stop. For us it was a fantastic dive and something completely different. It isn't a difficult dive, just a deep one. Your best bet is to talk with your dive operator to see whether they think you're up to the task. Also, the wall dives on the BH or Turneffe trips are phenomenal and well worth it. It's a totally different experience from what you see around AC. If you're good at managing your air and buoyancy and are a calm diver you shouldn't have any problems. BH probably is your best bet to see sharks. Finally, try to do as much diving as possible before you go to AC. It will make a hugh difference."

mobunny

#101251 04/22/05 06:37 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks again. I will mostly like go on the trip but not dive BH, just the 2 dives afterward. My idea of vacationing is definitely NOT spending time in a decompression chamber! I guess a lot of local dives for me this time in AC

mobunny - I love to dive more but living in New York doesn't really allow me to do that (unless you are into dry suit diving and no visibility!) To those of you who live in warmer places I envy you all.

I guess not diving the BH gives me the perfect excuse to go back to Belize next time!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.