Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
L
splecs: don't see any mention of anyone saying that being approached for drugs doesn't happen. Of course it does and probably just about everywhere (well, with maybe the exception of Antartica). Just hasn't happened to me in Belize.

S
splecs Offline OP
OP Offline
S
its just that people say they want honest feedback, you give it and then suddenly there is an onslauhght of reply's about how certain people have neer been approached. well that's great, good for those who haven't. My experience on my first trip was that it was very annoying and it was very rampant. Even my fishing guide kept talking about it (kind of hard to escape from the boat). Drugs are a serious problem and can make a quaint little town like SP into a place tourist will not want to come to (look at Tiajuanna).

As I said these are my observations, I don't want to argue wit anyone. Take them for what they are worth or ignore them, either way.

S
S
I still say you have a valid observation that needs to be passed on to Town Council. Don't worry about what the rest of the board has to say; their experiences were different from yours thats all. It may be that when you were here there were a fresh bunch off the boat from the city. With the exception of one famous individual most of those type of people are not from this island. Those who live here know that hassling tourists is the worst thing you can do, the rest could care less.

S
splecs Offline OP
OP Offline
S
thanks Simon, I'll do that.

:p

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Splecs
Perhaps if you had eliminated your opening paragraph (about being pissed off about fishing) and simply reported your concern about drugs you would have received different responses.
My third trip to San Pedro was in January 2001 and I brought 10 people from my underwater photo club. One guy got on the plane in San Francisco with an attitude. We later learned that a woman he had been dating had just dumped him.)
Every step along the way was a battle with him and everyone who tried to help us. He came expecting to get ripped off and caused havoc every where he went.
I had arranged diving with a dive master I had used before. We met on his dock a little before the prescribed 9:00 (that's the time all the dive operators go out from here). The DM was busy putting everything together and when we had not shoved off at 9:10 this AH lit into him about how to run a business. You know the joke: "You think the service is slow, just complain and see how slow it can get."
He managed to alienate everyone and we all suffered.
I know it is too late for splecs - but a word to the wise to anyone else who is coming down. If you get started off on the wrong foot - take a step back - reassess - and try a different approach. Splecs - you were not bound to fish with who ever it was you went with. After the first day you could have said 'later mon' and I think even the guide may have been happy.
I've been coming here since '98 and lived here for awhile and had lots of friends from California come and visit. Only one was approached about buying a girl and only one has been offered ganga.
Yes, we who live here know there are drug problems. Yes, the officials know where they are dealt and who deals them. NO - nothing is really done about it. Every week in the paper there is a list of the small time dealers who get caught with a bit of stuff - but the real dealers are left alone.
But hey - I do buy shells from Paisano! I have also been know to throw a dollar or two at the three stooges (AKA: rummies, drunks, bums) who hang out across from the Lions.
:p

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Hey, Harriet...I represent that last remark!!! :rolleyes:

Gone fishing!!
S
S
splecs, not to worry. I'm sure the two areas of concern you have raised are both legitimate and honest recollections. I'm a bit surprised at the degree of defensive reponses. Anyone who could deny such situations might occur or are of your doing has quaffed one too many Belikin/One Barrell depth charges.
Thanks for the report and glad that overall you "had a good time in Belize".

Unfortunately this problem is occurring more frequently these days, I can assure you that the authorities are aware of the problem, until the Police start cracking down on these characters there is not much anyone can do. It would be a good idea as a money spending tourist to register your complaint with the Town Board, also cc Tom Vidrine, C of C, and the BTB.

Reality..What a concept!
S
S
As a frequent tourist to AC I think this is an excellent idea. Someone should be kind enough to post the appropriate mechanisms/addresses to contact these groups. I can't help but believe that leverage in the form of repetitive complaints will go a long way towards ensuring the appropriate agencies keep this issue on the front burner. Both the tourist and the local will win.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 138 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.