Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Just for your info...
Misty Schlegal showed a picture of a 5 � foot Crocodile that has taken up residence between Casa Manana and Xanadu Resort along the beach. She expressed concern that it should be caught and tagged and removed from the beach areas before someone is hurt. (This croc has been seen for several months now, mostly around the Caribe Island dock-- but hasn't caused any known problems. We did have some guests with small children check out of the hotel due to a sighting back in March.)
It was reported gangs of local youth have been throwing trash cans into the road in an attempt to get people to stop so they can hold them up or mug them. P.C. Usher was already aware of the activity and stated they are watching for them.

I don't believe that "local youth ----can hold them up or mug them" Doesn't ring true. confused

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
ND,
I just passed along some of the minutes from the meeting. I don't know how true it is.... However, the minutes did state that the police were " already aware of the activity", so my guess is that there is something to the report.

Well, it can happen anywhere. Although I believe it to still be RARE, I have been mugged myself in SP, I still firmly believe it is safer than most us cities and towns and I wouldn't hesitate to travel alone to SP again... However, I wouldn't carry alot of cash next time. I take responsibility for not paying close attention to my surroundings late at night. One bad apple should never spoil the whole bunch imho!

S
S
1) It is highly unlikely that "local youths" were responsible. More likely off-island scum.

2) Leave the Crocs alone, they were here first, we need to make the accommodation not them. In general and from experience (2 years of assisting croc researchers) they are very shy and are more likely to avoid than confront humans (except when nesting). In the last 50 years there have been 2 legitimate recorded croc attacks, both in the New River. One where a fisherman had a stringer of fish attached to his waste while he was wading in deep water and one where a crook was evading police and swam into one on the shoreline. The incident a few years back with the child in BC was not a croc attack, friends of mine were at the autopsy, and there were no bite wounds, the child drowned from hitting his head.

I agree with off-island scum comment.

However, I would probably think it be adviseable to simply RELOCATE the croc.

I thought I saw a croc the other day in the sea, but when I blinked and looked back it was gone.

They normally prefer murkier waters so perhaps moving to the lagoons would be a good option.

Sounds like the perfect set-up for a money making business opportunity, the crocodile encounter. Not much is known about swimming, diving or snorkelling with salties, most people who have done so, unfortunately, aren't around to give advice.

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I know a few people I would like to see "test" your idea.......

S
S
It is illegal to have any interaction with either the Morlette's or American Crocodile as they are both endangered species. Having said that if Forestry were to set up some controlled viewing stations and boardwalks at the lagoons I think that could fulfill the needs of the crocs and the tourists. Local guides could make money doing tours of bird and wildlife.

On the relocation, you could do that but crocs will move significant distances and you would probably have to move it many miles from AC to stop it from returning to it's territory. We captured some crocs 15-20 miles from their original tagging location on the New River lagoon.

H
H
I might suggest that the crocs be put to good use and they be used to eliminate the scum, just throw them into the path of the crocs....
besides the crocs were there first and the scum is a undersirable import...

If they tell you it won't work over satellite, they didn't try hard enough!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.