Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#106843 08/01/05 08:33 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Hard to believe that half my waiting time is already over... I think it'll be a blink of an eye and the trip will be here. So... so I'm not caught unaware with last minute 'stuff', I'm looking for a little assistance (again).

From those of you who've made the trip several times... what's the best way pack for a 2 week trip to Belize? I think I've got a pretty good idea about the 'what to pack', what I'm looking for is more 'how to pack it'. Are large suitcases completely impractical? Should I be heading out and buying the mother of all backpacks? I'm not really a backpacker at all (I love my creature comforts and love buying stuff along the way), but for schlepping purposes it seems like it might be better. Any suggestions?

Pack light, take your 'creature comforts' and pay someone a good tip to lift/carry your bags if you just can't do without big luggage smile

When you get home you will see what you really didn't need.
Next trip you'll know what to take smile

Enjoy and have fun.

I agree with NYG - pack light. Pack for a week, take half of it out and then plan to drop your laundry off in the middle of your trip.

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
LE - I take a big suitcase - fill it in with my 'creature comforts' - i.e. a roll of paper towels, favorite crackers, small mayo & mustard, creamer for my coffee, etc. - when these are all used up I have room to take the stuff I've bought along the way back home. Last trip, along with my Marie Sharps, I was able to fit in a 10 lb bag of Belize charcoal laugh

Time flys - have fun!
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Whatever kind of bag you take - I recommend wheels. Not as important once you're actually in San Pedro but very helpful along the way. - Pack for one week and do laundry in the middle of your stay - you're gonna end up wearing the same pair of shorts and a few tees most days anyway and laundry service is way cheap. I second the bring your own snacks idea. I always throw in a lightweight collapsible duffle to cart home all the stuff I buy on a trip.

HavinFun - What have I been missing? What is Belize charcoal?

L
OP Offline
L
Thanks for the suggestions. I know I'm going to totally overpack for this which is why I'm trying to figure things out now. I think it would be much easier if I was staying on AC the whole trip, but I'm planning on spending a few days in San Ignacio and was thinking of taking the bus to get there (not nearly as easy as throwing the suitcase in the trunk). Then, to complicate things more, I've also been thinking of spending a night in/around Flores instead of taking a trip to Tikal from SI... That's a lot of lugging on a lot of public transportation so less is definitely going to be better.

How does one pack for visiting such different area? The beach I've got figured out... shorts, check, t-shirts, check, bathing suit, check. But for evenings and days spent in/around the jungle exploring ruins, etc... How cool does it get in the evenings in October?

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
September evenings wern't much cooler than the days - don't need long sleeves or jacket - I would imagine October is similar. We took long sleeves for the jungle - thinking we'd be walking through undergrowth, etc. Really regreted that decision - the paths are well cut and shady and the long sleeves were way uncomfortable. IMO the outfits stay the same no matter where you go or what you do - only exception for me would be a dress in the event you decide to attend mass.

Belize charcoal is what makes all that bbq you eat there taste so wonderful. I discovered this on my last trip. I tried to duplicate the bbq at home and it just didn't work. Then it dawned on me it was the charcoal when we went to Lobsterfest - all of those pits, the smell was unbelievably yummy. Found it at the local market and I covet it at home - I'm the only one allowed to use it laugh Not that Mr. HF cooks :rolleyes:

Time flys - have fun!
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Interesting - I've been wanting to buy a gas grill for the past 2 years but my husband is a charcoal only guy - I think we'll have to check this out! Thanks for the tip wink

made from coconut husks? I saw a big coconut operation on the mainland and they said the end result of the husks is charcoal.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 129 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.